PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Fuzzy of the Flames!

ArcGygas
2012-02-06, 12:02 AM
No, that's not a typo. Just a pun. Moving on!

My friend is starting a campaign (Kingmaker, I do believe) and I wanted to play a Druid. More specifically, I wanted to make a Druid that focuses on using Wildshape and wearing heavy armor while Wildshaped (preferably into a bear or lion).

Adding onto this, I want to add fire (or any element, really) to my attacks, because a flaming bear in full plate, or a shocking lion in full plate, just seems really, really cool.

The rest of the group aren't huge optimizers, so let's keep it mid-to-low Optimization. We've got a blasty wizard, a stabby-rogue, and a savage barbarian.

Try to keep things in PF, but I've been allowed to (later) buy magic items from 3.5 books.

Starting 1st level, so looking for build ideas, preferably around 5th, 7th, and 12th.

Krazzman
2012-02-06, 03:26 AM
Ok,

your first thing to do is get Natural Spell (actually it seems to be a no-brainer for druids).
The problem with the armor is: you need to get the profiency with heavy armor and! need a way to bypass the steel thing. Iron Wood or Dragonhide would be things to look at.

Enhantments...there was one in the 3.5 splat book complete divine I think, that let's you keep your armor bonus while wild-shaped. So you'll need a +1 Wild-Shape armor, then cast flame-shield? (at least in 3.5 there was a spell for that...)

Hope this helps.

avr
2012-02-06, 03:46 AM
Produce Flame (Druid 1) is the obvious spell to use first up. I believe you can add unarmed damage just by making an ordinary attack instead of a touch attack. At level 5 that's 1d6+5 fire damage to each of 5 attacks, though it might apply only to one claw attack in a round.

ArcGygas
2012-02-06, 02:24 PM
Produce Flame (Druid 1) is the obvious spell to use first up. I believe you can add unarmed damage just by making an ordinary attack instead of a touch attack. At level 5 that's 1d6+5 fire damage to each of 5 attacks, though it might apply only to one claw attack in a round.

Hadn't thought of that. That could work pretty well for starting out.

I'm thinking of starting out as a half-Orc, and taking the "Toothy" racial trait, so that I have a bite attack.

Person_Man
2012-02-06, 02:39 PM
2 level dip into Totemist would give you access to the Heart of Fire soulmeld. It gives you bonus damage against enemies with the Cold subtype, and when bound to your Totem chakra it adds (1d4 * esentia invested) Fire damage to ALL natural weapons. Since a Totemist or Druid or Druid/Totemist can get fairly easy access to 8ish+ natural attacks, it's a fairly easy way to add a lot of bonus damage. And they're all d4s, the pointiest of dice!

I think there's also a way to do it with a Barbarian feat and/or PrC (from Sandstorm?). Flaming Rage or something. You could qualify with the Druid variant that grants Rage from Unearthed Arcana.

ArcGygas
2012-02-06, 02:53 PM
2 level dip into Totemist would give you access to the Heart of Fire soulmeld. It gives you bonus damage against enemies with the Cold subtype, and when bound to your Totem chakra it adds (1d4 * esentia invested) Fire damage to ALL natural weapons. Since a Totemist or Druid or Druid/Totemist can get fairly easy access to 8ish+ natural attacks, it's a fairly easy way to add a lot of bonus damage. And they're all d4s, the pointiest of dice!

I think there's also a way to do it with a Barbarian feat and/or PrC (from Sandstorm?). Flaming Rage or something. You could qualify with the Druid variant that grants Rage from Unearthed Arcana.

While a great idea (something I'll put away for the next time I play 3.5), none of that works since we'll be playing Pathfinder. The only 3.5 material we're allowed to use are magic items with DM's permission.