PDA

View Full Version : Last comic questions

Dante2001
2012-02-06, 02:19 PM
So... given the facts we know right now the dungeon Xykon made is useless. Do you think there is anyway the magical stuff in there might tell that the philactery is fake?
Also, even if it's fake, do you think someone will still attempt to enter?
Finally, how come Xykon just stay shutted when RC asked him 'bout the fragment of the ritual? If he doesn't tell then he doesn't trust 100% RC, right?

Roland Itiative
2012-02-06, 02:28 PM
I think it's highly unlikely that the spells cast on the dungeon will somehow identify the phylactery as fake. There is simply no reason for Xykon to place any spell capable of doing that there. As for the dungeon being useless, that's certainly not the case. Having something like that mentioned but not properly used would be bad storytelling. It's likely that the Order will try to invade the place thinking the true phylactery is there, and this will bring Xykon himself to the place, or maybe Xykon will choose to retreat there when things go wrong. The possibilities are endless.

And Xykon doesn't fully trust RC. That's why he told Tsukiko to decipher the ritual to begin with.

Eakin
2012-02-06, 02:31 PM
Considering how heavily shielded the phylactery is, I don't think there's ANYTHING that's going to pop up in the comic that reveals it as a fake. Certainly Redcloak's plan makes a whole lot less sense if there's some kind of "Detect Soul Hidey-place" trick Xykon can use to see through it.

I doubt anybody not in that room knows the fortress exists. I can't see anyone entering in a way that's relevant to the main story line, but I can see a one off gag where a random group of adventurers tries to raid it "because it's there" and X wondering just where these groups keep coming from.

And without Tsukiko, needs Redcloak for the ritual that (he thinks) will give him access to god mode. He probably figures that telling Redcloak "Oh yeah, I was trying to make you expendable so I could off you and go ahead with the plan" wasn't going to inspire a ton of loyalty.

Having something like that mentioned but not properly used would be bad storytelling.

I disagree. It was "used" to give the future reveal of Redcloak's double cross more impact. Plus gives X a false sense of security.

Two scenarios, which is more dramatic:

A)
X: You make have killed me, but I'll regenerate in my super-untouchable fortress, which even if you could find it would kill you all a dozen times you got within a mile of my MacGuffin
RC: Actually, it's right here. Goodbye Xykon

*GASP!*

B)
X: You may have killed me, but I'll regenerate wherever the phylactery, which my trusted second in command keeps around his neck, is!
RC: Actually I keep the real one in my pocket, not around my neck.

*GASP!*

I prefer A

The Pilgrim
2012-02-06, 03:18 PM
I'm wondering how high would Xykon's fortress-tomb-thingie rate on the "Tomb of Horrors" scale of nastiness.

Math_Mage
2012-02-06, 04:17 PM
The dungeon IS being properly used in the narrative. It's the superlatively secure place Xykon will put his phylactery because he doesn't trust Redcloak. The fact that Redcloak has already outmaneuvered him makes it dramatically appropriate: it's the Maginot Line of phylactery defense.

Unisus
2012-02-06, 04:57 PM
I guess Xykon never read the EOL (Evil Overlorlord List):

The artifact which is the source of my power will not be kept on the Mountain of Despair beyond the River of Fire guarded by the Dragon of Eternity. It will be in my safe-deposit box. The same applies to the object which is my one weakness.

Jay R
2012-02-06, 05:00 PM
So... given the facts we know right now the dungeon Xykon made is useless. Do you think there is anyway the magical stuff in there might tell that the philactery is fake?

No. Xykon didn't build anything to get past the magics on what he thinks is his phylactery.They are there for Xykon's benefit.

Maybe somebody else might want to find out, but they would now have to successfully get past all the dungeon's defenses, and then use a lot of powerful magic to find out. Xykon is unwittingly making Redcloak's fake even safer.

Also, even if it's fake, do you think someone will still attempt to enter?

I doubt it. Nobody knows about it except Xykon, who doesn't need to, Redcloak, who knows there's no point, Jirix, who's busy, and the MitD, who doesn't do anything around here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0662.html).

Finally, how come Xykon just stay shutted when RC asked him 'bout the fragment of the ritual? If he doesn't tell then he doesn't trust 100% RC, right?

Just backwards. Xykon shut up because he knows that Redcloak shouldn't trust him right now. If Tsukiko had completely deciphered the ritual enough that she could cast the arcane part, then Xykon would no longer need Redcloak.

Surfing HalfOrc
2012-02-06, 05:14 PM
I'm wondering how high would Xykon's fortress-tomb-thingie rate on the "Tomb of Horrors" scale of nastiness.

I have "Return to the Tomb of Horrors" super-module, and Acererak's Fortress of Conclusion was pretty tough. I wouldn't expect Xykon to go easy on the traps and summoned demons, etc.

I'm also thinking this is Rich's way of telling us where the Final Apocalyptic Battle will be. On Xykon's real Home Turf, and not some rental property like Kraagor's & Serini's Dungeon/Gate.

And since it is on the Astral Plane, how (if at all) would this affect Vaarsuvius' deal with the IIFC?

V is set to betray the Order, Red Cloak is set to betray Xykon. Nice side by side comparison potential... :smalleek:

The Pilgrim
2012-02-06, 05:15 PM
I guess Xykon never read the EOL (Evil Overlorlord List):

Doesn't apply. The Phylactery isn't the source of his power, neither his only weakness. It's a resurrection device that, by it's own purpose, it's useless to keep near himself - if someone can destroy him, he can also destroy his phylactery if it's next to him, like what happened with Soon.

SpaceBadger
2012-02-08, 07:37 PM
As for the dungeon being useless, that's certainly not the case. Having something like that mentioned but not properly used would be bad storytelling. It's likely that the Order will try to invade the place thinking the true phylactery is there, and this will bring Xykon himself to the place, or maybe Xykon will choose to retreat there when things go wrong. The possibilities are endless.

Not necessarily. The astral fortress-tomb-thingy has already served a purpose by showing us that Xykon has been planning for some time to take the phylactery away from Redcloak when found, and suggesting that Xykon is currently fooled by the fauxlactery and intending to put it there instead.

WowWeird
2012-02-08, 08:20 PM
Just backwards. Xykon shut up because he knows that Redcloak shouldn't trust him right now. If Tsukiko had completely deciphered the ritual enough that she could cast the arcane part, then Xykon would no longer need Redcloak.
...We do mean divine here, yes? Xykon HAS the arcane half- he needs it to complete his part of the ritual. He gave it (or a copy of it) to Tsukiko so she could reverse-Spellcrafteer the divine portion. That knowledge would be supremely useful to Xykon-it would remove the most crucial reason Xykon keeps the potentially traitorous Redcloak around, his knowledge of the divine half of the ritual. TANGENT- As far as I can see, the other reasons Xykon works with Redcloak would be 1. his access to high-level spells and resources (useful in a minion, but Xykon is still much stronger, thus making RC's power less useful than it could be) 2. his capability to use high-level spells that Xykon can't (his cleric spells. While there are other coercable clerics, few to none other have access to 9th level spells) and 3. the lovely supply of minions motivated by Redcloak (good for large-scale assaults, slowing down random encounters adventurers, and entertainment)
On that note, another tangent- Xykon clearly knows the Crimson Mantle gives the knowledge of the ritual, as demonstrated by this rant. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0662.html)
Why doesn't Xykon kill Redcloak, give the Mantle to another goblin, and squeeze the weak, low-level sap for information regarding it, including the divine half and if there are unforseen drawbacks to it? If the goblin refuses, torture. If that fails, kill Goblin #1 and find another goblinoid. Repeat until necessary information is provided. Xykon knows this is a workable plan, has the power and motive to do it, doesn't care about the horrific morality of this idea, could possibly even enjoy it's execution (see SOD, and his only source of joy)... What's stopping him?

Hattish Thing
2012-02-08, 11:58 PM
Redcloak has really gotten himself in deep now. I can't wait for the conclusion...:cool: