PDA

View Full Version : Stolen Campaign Plots

Yora
2012-02-06, 05:26 PM
"Stolen" is such an ugly word, but I think the one that gets the idea transported the best.

Since every tale worth telling has already been told, pretty much everything we hear and see is more a new version of a classic story than something completely new and unique. "Bad writers borrow, good writers steal." And I think this goes for RPG campaigns just as much as much as for any other works of fiction.
I was just thinking how a science fiction story I like would also make a really cool plot for a fantasy RPG, and I thinking starting a thread about it might end up with quite fascinating ideas that would make for great campaigns in the future.

For added fun, let's first present the idea we have for an adaptation and then put the source material in a spoiler block at the end. When people don't immediately get it after you described the background and starting setup, there's a good chance player's won't notice it either. (Especially when you don't tell them that the idea is copied from somewhere else.)

So let me do the start:

Mid Level, 2-3 players, dungeons, planar
The PCs start as apprentices and guards in the service of a wizard guild, who owns a huge castle high up in the mountains or deep in the dessert, far from any other settlements. The campaign start with any apprentices PCs being ordered to one of the wizards labs, which is in a remote wing of the fortress, to help him with an experiment. One of the masters has found a strange artifact in the form of a large gem, that has resisted any attempts to identify its purpose or how it is activated, and has come to the diviners, who is the PCs master. When diviner orders the apprentices to use wands of dispel magic on it to lower its wards, so he can use his divinations on it, but the wands cause the gem to explode into glaring light and a horde of small demons arrives in the chamber killing many of the apprentices before the guards are summoned, who are also killed in large numbers before the remaining demons flee through corridors and air shafts. It also seems like the artifact cast a powerful dispel effect on the entire wing of the castle, destroying all the continual flames, dimensional locks, teleportation circles, and other permanent spells. The PCs are the only survivors in the enchanting chamber and need to make their way back out of the severly damaged wing. As they slowly make their way outside, fighting off escaped magical creatures and wandering demons, they realize that a large part of the fortress has been badly damaged as well and demons have killed most wizards and guards.
When they finally make it out of the destroyed wing, they encounter an army of unknown soldiers who kill both the remaining demons and wizards as well, and plunder all the labs and studies of magic items, and burn everything they leave behind. So the PCs have to make their way to the other side of the massive fortress where they hope the grand masters are still alive and defending themselves against the demons and warriors. It also turns out that demons continue to appear all throughout the fortress and escape magical creatures and berserk golems attack anything they see. They slowly make their way to the other side of the fortress, resting in empty rooms and salvaging food and potions where they can find them. On their way, they have to find solution to get around collapsed corridors or lowered portculises without being caught by soldiers or eaten by demons. At their destination they manage to barely save the remaining wizards from being overrun by the unknown soldiers, but they tell the PCs that they are all trapped and it seems that something prevents all teleportation spells from transportiny anyone outside.
In the third part, the PCs have to descend into the huge dungeons and caves underneath the fortress, where they are searching for the archmage, who is a very powerful conjurer and was working on a gate that can connect to other planes. Eventually they make it to the gate, where they only find the archmages apprentices. After the problems began, the archmage stepped through the gate to put an end to constant stream of demons that appear in the fortress, but has not yet returned and apparently had not been successful. Other older wizards have tried to go after him, but they also did not return. The apprentices don't dare to step through the gate, but urge the PCs to give it a try as they have successfully faught demons before. If whatever sends the demons is stopped, it could also remove the barrier that prevents teleportation, allowing the remaining wizards to escape from the approaching soldiers. The gem that started the catstrophe was brought back from the other side by the archwizard and was presumedly some kind of trap.
In the fourth part, the PCs arrive in the Abyss, Limbo, or some other plane of madness and insanity. They need to find the demon who created the gem and slay him, so he can no longer hold up the barrier. In the other dimension, they also find corpses with the armor of the unknown soldiers, who apparently have been fighting the demon before and probably assumed the archmage to be one of its allies, when its demons pretty much took over the fortress. The PCs confront and slay the demon, or not, and the adventure ends with the barrier destroyed and the surviving mages escaping.

Come on, there have to be some men with a 30ish age around here who know this one. :smallbiggrin:
It's Half-Life, of course.

Heliomance
2012-02-06, 07:42 PM
I got that one having never played Half Life, just from a plot summary a friend gave me. Don't know if that's a problem for you.

STsinderman
2012-02-06, 09:20 PM
Sounds like a solid campaign concept regardless of source. I actually stole the basis of stargaze universe last year for some friends(none of whom watched the series) and it turned out quite well. Been wanting to do a 3.5 dis world for a while as well.

Serpentine
2012-02-06, 09:42 PM
Here is the entirety of a side-quest I threw into a game:
Infestation
Come across large shantytown of refugees of a town that has been overrun by rats –goatfolk, some humans. Town always had a rat problem, but they had had a good crop and the rat population exploded – possibly more even than might be expected.

Dark naga with a tiara of vermin controlling has moved into the town and caused the rat population to drive everyone out.

Dark Naga
Size/Type:
Huge Aberration

Hit Dice:
20d8+40 (150hp)
Initiative:
+6

Speed:
40 ft. (8 squares)
Armor Class:
17 (-1 size, +4 Dex, +4 natural), touch 13, flat-footed 13

Base Attack/Grapple:
+15/+21

Attack:
Sting +17 melee (2d6+2 plus poison)

Full Attack:
Sting +17 melee (2d6+2 plus poison) and bite +10 melee (1d6+1)

Space/Reach:
15 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks:
Poison, spells

Special Qualities:
Darkvision 60 ft., detect thoughts, guarded thoughts, immunity to poison, resistance to charm

Saves:
Fort +8, Ref +12, Will +16

Abilities:
Str 14, Dex 19, Con 14, Int 16, Wis 16, Cha 18
Skills:
Bluff +15, Concentration +20, Diplomacy +7, Disguise +5 (+7 acting), Intimidate +20, Listen +20, Sense Motive +15, Spellcraft +19, Spot +15

Feats:
Alertness, Combat Casting, Dodge, Eschew MaterialsB, Lightning Reflexes, Improved natural armour, Improved initiative, Empower spell (+2 spell level)
Environment:
Temperate hills
Organization:
Solitary
Challenge Rating:
Treasure:
10,000gp, 11 gems (2 onyx (60), 3 azurite (10), 4 golden yellow topaz (500), 2 jade (120) (Ellywick any gems not otherwise taken, Dr 4 topaz), 15 swiftwing arrows (RoW) (Kyoll), filcher’s friend (CAd) (Dr), wand hold person (35ch) (Dr), wand cure moderate wounds (22ch) (Dr), Headband of Conscious Effort (CAd) (Dr), knot-scroll (cure minor wounds (CL1), reduce animal (CL3), cure moderate wounds (CL3) (Ellywick).
Alignment:
lawful evil
Advancement:
10-13 HD (Large); 14-27 HD (Huge)
Level Adjustment:

Dark nagas speak Common and Infernal.
Combat
Dark nagas prefer to fight from an elevated position where they get a good view of the battlefield while also staying out of reach.
Poison (Ex)
Injury, Fortitude DC 16 or lapse into a nightmare-haunted sleep for 2d4 minutes. The save DC is Constitution-based.
Spells
Dark nagas cast spells as 10th-level sorcerers.
Typical Sorcerer Spells Known (6/7/7//7/6/4; save DC 13 + spell level)
0 (9)—daze, detect magic, light, mage hand, open/close, ray of frost, read magic, resistance, dancing lights; 1st (5)—expeditious retreat, magic missile, ray of enfeeblement, shield, silent image; 2nd (4)— blur, cat’s grace, invisibility, scorching ray; 3rd (3)—displacement, lightning bolt, fly; 4th (2) – wall of fire, evard’s black tentacles (+18 grapple); 5th (1) – Baleful polymorph.
Resistance to Charm
Dark nagas have a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against all charm effects (not included in the statistics block).
Detect Thoughts (Su)
A dark naga can continuously use detect thoughts as the spell (caster level 9th; Will DC 15 negates). This ability is always active. The save DC is Charisma-based.
][Guarded Thoughts (Ex)
Dark nagas are immune to any form of mind reading.
Tactics
Before battle if possible: invisibility on self and 2 of 4 wererats, fly, cat’s grace, displacement. Round 1: Evard’s black tentacles. Round 2: ray of enfeeblement or wall of fire to enclose any not caught by tentacles. Round 3: baleful polymorph. Round 4: lightning bolt. Repeat. Cure Moderate Wounds with wand when necessary, on self or wererats.

Wererat x4
Wererat rogue 4, Human Form Wererat, Dire Rat Form Wererat, Hybrid Form
Size/Type:
Medium Humanoid (Human, Shapechanger)
Small Humanoid (Human, Shapechanger)
Medium Humanoid (Human, Shapechanger)

Hit Dice:
4d6+5 plus 1d8+2 (39 hp) 4d6+5 plus 1d8+2 (40 hp) 4d6+5 plus 1d8+2 (40 hp)
Initiative:
+4
+7
+7

Speed:
30 ft. (6 squares) 40 ft. (8 squares), climb 20 ft. 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class:
21 (+3 natural, +2 Dex, +4 +2 leather, +2 +1 buckler), touch 10, flat-footed 18
22 (+1 size, +7 Dex, +4 natural), touch 16, flat-footed 14
21 (+7 Dex, +4 natural), touch 15, flat-footed 13

Base Attack/Grapple:
+4/+5
+4/0
+4/+5

Attack:
+2 keen blurstrike dagger +8 melee (1d4+2/17-20) or +1 shortbow +7 ranged (1d6/20)
Bite +6 melee (1d4+1 plus disease) +2 keen blurstrike dagger +11 melee (1d4+2/17-20) or +1 shortbow +10 ranged (1d6/20)

Full Attack:
+2 keen blurstrike dagger +8 melee (1d4+2/17-20) or +1 shortbow +7 ranged (1d6/20)
Bite +6 melee (1d4+1 plus disease) +2 keen blurstrike dagger +8 melee (1d4+2/17-20) and bite +3 melee (1d6 plus disease); or +1 shortbow +7 ranged (1d6/20)

Space/Reach:
5 ft./5 ft. 5 ft./5 ft. 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks:
Sneak attack +2d6 Curse of lycanthropy, disease Curse of lycanthropy, disease
Special Qualities:
Alternate form, rat empathy, low-light vision, scent, trapfinding, trap sense +1 Alternate form, rat empathy, damage reduction 10/silver, low-light vision, scent
Alternate form, rat empathy, damage reduction 10/silver, low-light vision, scent

Saves:
Fort +6, Ref +10, Will +5
Fort +7, Ref +13, Will +5
Fort +7, Ref +13, Will +5

Abilities:
Str 11, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 11, Cha 8 Str 11, Dex 20, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 11, Cha 8 Str 11, Dex 20, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 11, Cha 8
Skills:
Climb +0, Handle Animal +3, Hide +11, Listen +10, Move Silently +10, Spot +10, Swim +9
Climb +11, Handle Animal +3, Hide +18, Listen +10, Move Silently +14, Spot +10, Swim +11
Climb +4, Handle Animal +3, Hide +15, Listen +10, Move Silently +14, Spot +10, Swim +9

Feats:
Alertness, Dodge, Iron WillB, Weapon FinesseB, Evasion, Uncanny dodge, Improved natural armour (same as human form) (same as human form)
Environment:
Any Any Any
Organization:
Solitary, pair, pack (6-10), or troupe (2-5 plus 5-8 dire rats)
(same as human form) (same as human form)
Challenge Rating:
6 6 6
Treasure:
Standard Standard Standard
Alignment:
Always lawful evil Always lawful evil Always lawful evil
Advancement:
By character class By character class By character class
Level Adjustment:
+3 +3 +3
A wererat in humanoid form tends to be a thin, wiry individual of shorter than average height. The eyes constantly dart around, and the nose and mouth may twitch if he or she is excited. Males often have thin, ragged moustaches.
Combat
In animal form, wererats avoid combat, preferring to use their dire rat shape for skulking and spying. In hybrid form, a wererat fights with a rapier and light crossbow.
Alternate Form (Su)
A wererat can assume a bipedal hybrid form or the form of a dire rat.
Curse of Lycanthropy (Su)
Any humanoid or giant hit by a wererat’s bite attack in animal or hybrid form must succeed on a DC 15 Fortitude save or contract lycanthropy.
Disease (Ex)
Filth fever; bite, Fortitude DC 15, incubation period 1d3 days, damage 1d3 Dex and 1d3 Con. The save DC is Constitution-based.
Rat Empathy (Ex)
Communicate with rats and dire rats, and +4 racial bonus on Charisma-based checks against rats and dire rats.
Skills
A wererat in rat or hybrid form uses its Dexterity modifier for Climb or Swim checks. It has a +8 racial bonus on Climb checks and can always choose to take 10 on a Climb check, even if rushed or threatened.
Wererats have a +8 racial bonus on Swim checks from their dire rat form.
Feats
Wererats gain Weapon Finesse as a bonus feat.
Tactics
Start as dire rats. Two invisible, try to come up behind spellcaster/s. Two visible transform to hybrid form and advance. Focus on spellcasters first.

Rat Swarm
Size/Type:
Tiny Animal (Swarm)

Hit Dice:
4d8 (18 hp)

Initiative:
+2

Speed:
15 ft. (3 squares), climb 15 ft.

Armor Class:
14 (+2 size, +2 Dex), touch 14, flat-footed 12

Base Attack/Grapple:
+3/—

Attack:
Swarm (1d6 plus disease)

Full Attack:
Swarm (1d6 plus disease)

Space/Reach:
10 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks:
Disease, distraction
Special Qualities:
Half damage from slashing and piercing, low-light vision, scent, swarm traits

Saves:
Fort +4, Ref +6, Will +2

Abilities:
Str 2, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 2
Skills:
Balance +10, Climb +10, Hide +16, Listen +6, Move Silently +8, Spot +7, Swim +10

Feats:
Alertness, Stealthy, Weapon FinesseB

Environment:
Any
Organization:
Solitary, pack (2-4 swarms), or infestation (7-12 swarms)
Challenge Rating:
Treasure:
None
Alignment:
Always neutral
Advancement:
None
Level Adjustment:

Combat
A rat swarm seeks to surround and attack any warm-blooded prey it encounters. A swarm deals 1d6 points of damage to any creature whose space it occupies at the end of its move.
Disease (Ex)
Filth fever—swarm attack, Fortitude DC 12, incubation period 1d3 days, damage 1d3 Dex and 1d3 Con. The save DC is Constitution-based.
Distraction (Ex)
Any living creature that begins its turn with a swarm in its square must succeed on a DC 12 Fortitude save or be nauseated for 1 round. The save DC is Constitution-based.
Skills
A rat swarm has a +4 racial bonus on Hide and Move Silently checks, and a +8 racial bonus on Balance, Climb, and Swim checks. A rat swarm can always choose to take 10 on all Climb checks, even if rushed or threatened. A rat swarm uses its Dexterity modifier instead of its Strength modifier for Climb and Swim checks. A rat swarm has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. It can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line.

Kariana had axe and armour upgraded, obtained llama.
Ellywick had more detail put on map.

Slept in a tree during the night, investigated during the day. Discovered rats’ nest down well, but didn’t see whole thing – i.e. wererats and naga. Sleeping above ground for rest of day, going to sneak back in during the night when rats are gone.Sorry about the formatting, it's too late to fix it now and also I'm lazy :smalltongue:
But I will give a slightly better summary of the adventure: a town on a water-bound plain has been overrun with a mysterious super-plague of rats. All people have been driven away, and at night the plain is completely covered with ravenous rodents out to devour anything they can get their dirty little paws on.
A group of adventurers plunge into the depths of the abandoned town. Deep in its bowels, they discover a huge, monstrous intelligent serpent wearing an impressive tiara that gives it power over the vermin.

horngeek
2012-02-06, 09:46 PM
Of course Serpentine's is going to involve Naga.

Serpentine
2012-02-06, 09:49 PM
Not a naga :smallannoyed:
:smalltongue:

Slipperychicken
2012-02-07, 12:01 AM
Personally, I think eldritch monstrosities or homebrew aliens are better than Demons for a Half-Life game. We already know all about Demons, and their weaknesses, but the guys made of insanity are much scarier IMO. I like the idea, Black Mesa really does seem like something Wizards would do.

Keep them (IC and OOC) totally in the dark about what these monsters are and where they're from, because that's one of the really scary things in Half-Life: You aren't jumping into Hell to fight Demons, those are well within your comfort zone as a player. You don't know what you're fighting, why they're here, whether they came intentionally, what they're saying, or if they even have a language or sentience. All you know is that these things popped in out of nowhere, are killing people, and they're freaky.

EDIT: Use the G-Man-Ripoff to set up for more adventures, if they want to keep playing the characters after the game's over :smallcool:.

DigoDragon
2012-02-07, 08:32 AM
In my campaign, I had converted the old NES Shadowgate adventure to D&D and ran my players through it. As none of my players have played Shadowgate, this turned out to be a brilliant adventure because the leathality was more or less intact and somehow my players managed to get through without dying.

They came close several times though. That acid fountain...
hee hee hee :smalltongue:

Nerd-o-rama
2012-02-07, 09:52 AM
One time, I ran a campaign that was a mashup of several different things in Eberron (which is made of references and homages anyway): Mysterious giant bug-shaped living constructs start teleporting all over Khorvaire from an unknown source and randomly attacking civilization. It's clearly an invasion, but who's behind it? The constructs are mindless and clearly running on orders from someone, but it's someone unreachable.

Also, the Blood of Vol was starting up a plot in the background to kill absolutely everyone in the world to give them the peace of undeath, but frankly that's something they already try to do; it's just a matter of finding the right plot device.

To this day, I'm still not sure whether I was going to make the main plot a knockoff of Martian Successor Nadesico or the first Super Robot Wars Original Generation game, since they have more or less the same "alien" invasion plot. Probably the latter since that has psychic aliens Mind Seeding people, which Eberron's already got.

The latter is such a common plot I can't even assign it something specific, but my direct inspiration was End of Evangelion.

Also, this campaign had giant robots because Merrix d'Cannith discovered the means to make Giant-sized armor cheaply and reverse-engineered the idea into something Medium-sized people could use, making it a reference to Super Dimensional Fortress Macross.

Frankly, I was just being silly all around.

Jay R
2012-02-07, 01:16 PM
I ran a Champions game set at the start of the Silver Age. The heroes heard reports of a rocket ship landing outside of town. They arrive, and their flame-based character Flamebird flew over the area. She saw the rocket, and also saw a larger-than-life grotesque, vaguely man-shaped orange alien, who threw a tree at her. The character with the empathic link to a dog saw coils of some plasticine substance wrapping around and around an empty space. He also smelled two humans, but couldn't see them.

The battle was on, and one of the aliens turned out to have flame powers as well.

The battle lasted for over an hour of real-time before they figured out that they had blundered into the origin of the Fantastic Four. (And yes, in the original comic book, the Thing threw a tree at the Human Torch, and Mr. Fantastic tried to wrap his arms around the Invisible Girl.)

kyoryu
2012-02-07, 04:30 PM
I almost *always* throw a Seven-Samurai scenario into games I run.