PDA

View Full Version : E6 Warlock Sniper

the_archduke
2012-02-06, 07:13 PM
I am building an E6 character to be a sniper. So far, I have Warlock 4, for eldritch spear, entropic warding, and beguiling influence. I am using the psionic shot feat chain, so I want to get to +5 BaB for greater psionic shot. To do so, I need to take 2 levels of a full BaB class. I'm not sure what would be best. My character is a pixie, so I am totally incapable of meleeing. Any ideas on base classes/prcs that would get me to +5 BaB and give me the most in addition to the BaB (i.e. fighter would get me +5 BaB but nothing else worthwhile)

Psyren
2012-02-06, 07:34 PM
How about Hexblade? Cha to saves vs. spells, some proficiencies, and a curse. Or maybe Paladin of X.

Malroth
2012-02-06, 07:41 PM
Paladin of Freedom/Tyrrany/Slaughter 2 (depending on your alignment) meshes VERY well with a Warlock

the_archduke
2012-02-06, 07:46 PM
my stats are

Str 4
Dex 16
Con 8
Int 12
Wis 12
Cha 14

So Paladin of Freedom would get me +2 to all saves... and +3 to my fort save which as you can see is low... but most full BaB classes are good fort save, so that is probably a wash. Hmm...

gorfnab
2012-02-06, 08:02 PM
Crusader is a nice option. Too bad Eldritch Glaive is a full round action. Eldritch Claws are a free action though.

Jheska
2012-02-06, 08:05 PM
Simple, thug fighter? Get some skills and some sneak attack maybe.

avr
2012-02-06, 08:35 PM
One level each in Crusader and Warblade? Gets you a variety of 2nd level maneuvers with 2 different recovery methods.

Jheska
2012-02-06, 08:43 PM
Manuevers mostly useless since he'll just be standard action eldritch blasting every round. He will likely also be using psionic mediation to spend his move action refreshing his psionic focus each round for greater psionic shot.

Since theres no such thing as a swift action class he wants full BaB classes that have entirely passive abilities. The ToB classes need not apply here, much as I love them.

For example one level in Fighter with the appropriate alternate class features (thug and sneak attack from unearthed arcana, they explicity state they stack) gets you 4+int skill points from a reasonable list, a d10, +2 fort, a point of BaB and a dice of sneak attack damage.

Treblain
2012-02-06, 09:00 PM
What about duskblade? You get +2 BAB and some good 1st level spells. True Strike is good for a sniper, especially when you're using Psionic Shot. Though you shouldn't really be missing with Eldritch Blast. There are some other useful spells, like Swift Expeditious Retreat for getting out of melee range quickly.

avr
2012-02-06, 11:21 PM
Since theres no such thing as a swift action class he wants full BaB classes that have entirely passive abilities. The ToB classes need not apply here, much as I love them.
Actually - ToB has a bunch of swift action boosts and counters. Save replacers, sudden leap, shield block, bolstering voice. Stances are passive. I admit though that 2 levels in ToB classes might be overkill for this particular character.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-02-07, 12:11 AM
Greater Psionic Shot is +2d6 damage; Warlock 6 is +1d6 damage and Eldritch Chain, plus any Warlock capstone feat(s) exclusive to E6. I'd expect a capstone feat to grant at least another +1d6 damage, so I'd say you're better off just sticking to Warlock.

Zaq
2012-02-07, 01:37 AM
Well, there aren't THAT many full BAB classes, so let's just go through 'em.

Barbarian: Rage, Fast Movement or Pounce, Uncanny Dodge. Rage is mostly wasted, but Fell Flight would benefit from FM (since it's based on your land speed), and Uncanny Dodge doesn't suck.
Fighter: Two bonus feats. You can probably find a use for 'em if you try hard enough.
Paladin: Ignoring alignment prereqs, you'd get Smite Evil, Detect Evil, and CHA to saves. CHA to saves is OK but not great, and the rest are mostly wasted.
Ranger: Favored Enemy, Rapid Shot or TWF, Wild Empathy or Speak With Animals/Plants, Track. Doesn't really seem that great for this character, but the skills don't suck.
Hexblade: Curse, CHA to saves vs. spells. Paladin is better.
Samurai: EWP Bastard Sword, TWF with two specific weapons. Yeah, no.
Swashbuckler: Weapon Finesse, +1 Reflex. Might be decent if you ever want to get in melee for any reason, but you don't.
Duskblade: 2 spells (plus cantrips) known (4/3 base per day), Combat Casting, other cantrips as SLAs. Not the worst possible option (free Combat Casting could be worse), but I'm not sure what spells you'd pick.
Knight: Knight's Challenge (Fighting Challenge), Mounted Combat, Shield Block . . . and a stick-up-the-butt code that'd prevent you from hiding and sniping. Nope.
Soulborn: Smite Opposition, Incarnum Defense. You can do better.
Crusader: Delayed damage pool, CHA to Will saves, maneuvers. The maneuvers won't help you much outside of melee, unfortunately.
Warblade: INT to Reflex saves (+2), Uncanny Dodge, Weapon Aptitude, maneuvers. The Diamond Mind save replacers might be worthwhile (as might Wall of Blades), and Uncanny Dodge isn't bad.

To me, Barbarian looks like your best bet. If you can swap Rage out for something without losing Fast Movement and Uncanny Dodge, that's even better, since it won't do you much good. Warblade would also work if you focused on counters, though you'd have a hard time refreshing them, since you're not attacking with a weapon.

TurtleKing
2012-02-07, 08:50 AM
To make sure its clear Psionic Shot adds +2d6 damage when you expend your psionic focus while Greater Psionic Shot adds another +2d6 damage for a total of +4d6 damage. For starters how can your character even get psionic focused if not a psionic character?

the_archduke
2012-02-07, 08:53 AM
Hidden Talent: Compression at level one

TurtleKing
2012-02-07, 09:00 AM
Then in that case doable though might want to also be a psionic race if possible. Oh wait you are a Pixie nevermind.

GodGoblin
2012-02-07, 09:18 AM
Id probably say Warblade would be a good idea using the save replacers, as they are all Concentration checks and you will want that pumped for your Psionic Focus anyway, also remember the feat that lets you do it as a move action or get a psi crystal and a second focus in that if you have the feats to spare :smallsmile:

the_archduke
2012-02-07, 09:38 AM
So Warblade with Moment of the Perfect Mind, Action Before Thought, Wall of Blades... Mountain Hammer and Bolstering Voice as a stance.

The HP from Warblade will really help, as will the fort and reflex save boost.

Good skills from a decent list.

Interesting using warblade almost exclusively for defenses.

Jheska
2012-02-07, 09:40 AM
Its just occured to me. How are you dealing with +4LA in e6?

the_archduke
2012-02-07, 09:42 AM
+4 LA gives you 0 point buy, so my stats are only affected by racial modifiers, giving me those listed above. Pixies are a bit over powered in E6, but I suspect I am going to need it.

Jheska
2012-02-07, 09:51 AM
Right in which case I'd go with warlock 4/warblade 1/fighter 1

From warblade pick up wall of blades, moment of the perfect mind and action before thought. Provides you with a reasonable set of counters, also adds int to your reflex save.

Fighter combines simple and thug to give you full BaB sneak attack which works well with your greater invisibility to throw another d6 on the pile. The extra skills dont hurt either.

You get 5/1/4 saves with int to reflex and the ability to take a conc check for will or reflex. You also get 5 BaB and reasonable skills, as well as 7d6 damage shots.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-02-07, 10:34 AM
I'd still say going Warlock 6 will give you just as much damage via capstone feats as picking up Greater Psionic Shot, plus you'll get Lesser Invocations like Eldritch Chain or Relentless Dispelling (CM).

Jheska
2012-02-07, 01:41 PM
May we ask what these feats you're toting are?

Socratov
2012-02-07, 02:05 PM
You wouldn't be able to give yourself any connection to a dragon so you could get 1 or 2 levels of bard so you could use DFI, then take something like lingering song, extra music and other nice related feats, that and you are getting some skilpoints, minor spells, and the Cha synergy is also welcome. Either this, or get 2 extra levels of warlock and invocation up :) (lvl 6 will get you least invocations which will open up a few nice tricks for you), don't forget, at lvl 6 you can take extra invocation for those nice to have, but not too high on the list least invocations...

Fostire
2012-02-07, 02:08 PM
Barbarian: Rage, Fast Movement or Pounce, Uncanny Dodge. Rage is mostly wasted, but Fell Flight would benefit from FM (since it's based on your land speed), and Uncanny Dodge doesn't suck.

He already has a flight speed of 60 from being a pixie so fell flight would be pointless. Warblade sounds like the better option here.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-02-07, 03:03 PM
May we ask what these feats you're toting are?

There's an E6 capstone feat for every core class. It would be unfair for a DM to not make a capstone feat for a character who invested all six levels into a splatbook class. A quick google search comes up with a Warlock capstone that grants +2d6 EB damage and Energy Resistance 5, and another that gives him an extra Lesser Invocation known. A capstone feat that grants just an extra +1d6 EB would be on the weak side, but it would be enough to make Warlock 6 preferable to multiclassing for Greater Psionic Shot, considering you'd have a Lesser Invocation.