PDA

View Full Version : 30% Wbl

Mari01
2012-02-07, 01:47 AM
I'm looking for the ruling in text that says you can't own an item that's more than 30% of your standard WBL. I know I've seen it before but I can't locate it. A player in our group wants to spend 4,000 gold on smoething but our current limit is 3,000.

olentu
2012-02-07, 01:54 AM
I'm looking for the ruling in text that says you can't own an item that's more than 30% of your standard WBL. I know I've seen it before but I can't locate it. A player in our group wants to spend 4,000 gold on smoething but our current limit is 3,000.

Well I don't remember an actual rule but there is a suggestion for DMs with regards to limiting characters created above first level on page 199 of the dungeon masters guide.

Mari01
2012-02-07, 02:00 AM
It may have been a house rule for so long that I just assumed it was a regular rule.

tyckspoon
2012-02-07, 02:03 AM
Yeah, as far as I know there is no hard rules-coded limit on how much money you can spend on something (there are suggestions for between 25% to 50% as a limit, and an explanation as to why you should probably impose such a limit). Where RAW is concerned, if you have enough GP for something and the location you are in can provide it (ie, it fits under the GP limit of wherever you are,) you can buy it.

SPoilaaja
2012-02-07, 04:56 AM
dmg page 209, the right paragraph "Limiting Magic Items". It's not a hardcoded rule, but a suggestion.

Wyntonian
2012-02-07, 10:37 AM
Honestly, this is the first time I've ever heard of something like that, aside from a vague memory from the dmg. I doubt it'll matter if you ignore it entirely. I always do.

Tyndmyr
2012-02-07, 10:52 AM

It doesn't exist.

What does exist, that you're probably thinking of is a suggestion that chars created above first level limit gold expenditure on any one item to a given percentage of WBL. Look at the "creating chars above first level" section of the DMG.

Once created, if you have the gold, and they have(or will make) the item, that's quite sufficient.

SowZ
2012-02-07, 01:02 PM
WBL rules shouldn't be imposed as a hard rule on players if they are not creating characters above first level. If the players have more than double their WBL, you are likely being to Monty Haul. If they have less than half, you may be being to strict. But player choices can make them have a lot more money than the average character will have or a lot less. If a character has saved up 90% of their gold over the past few levels and is intending to spend it all on an item that exists in the world, there is no real reason why they shouldn't buy it.

Mari01
2012-02-07, 05:57 PM
WBL rules shouldn't be imposed as a hard rule on players if they are not creating characters above first level. If the players have more than double their WBL, you are likely being to Monty Haul. If they have less than half, you may be being to strict. But player choices can make them have a lot more money than the average character will have or a lot less. If a character has saved up 90% of their gold over the past few levels and is intending to spend it all on an item that exists in the world, there is no real reason why they shouldn't buy it.

No no. My meaning is that we can't have ONE item worth more than a chunk of money. So no 9,000 WBL and an 8,654 (example) weapon is allowed.

Yora
2012-02-07, 06:01 PM
dmg page 209, the right paragraph "Limiting Magic Items". It's not a hardcoded rule, but a suggestion.
I've read that part again some weeks ago, and it was different than I remembered. I assume that in the 3.0 DMG, the thing was more complex, which might be what Mario remembers.

herrhauptmann
2012-02-07, 07:55 PM
It may have been a house rule for so long that I just assumed it was a regular rule.

It's primarily a suggestion. But it's generally a good one.

ex:
You make a 6th level character and have 13000 gold, allowing you to buy any item up to 13k.
You decide you want a belt of battle. It is 12000 gold, gives a permanent +2 to initiative, and has the usual 3 charges. It's a great item to have. Really it is.
But your character would probably benefit more from a +2 stat booster, a +2 save booster, a +1 weapon (or a few magic wands and scrolls for casters), and an item that boosts a few key skills.
Wealth can be such a huge part of a characters power, that you can actually hurt your character by focusing too much of your wealth into one item.

Also, now that you've put all your money into one item, you're extremely screwed if you lose it. Such as a 9th level warrior with a +4 weapon adamantine weapon. He might have enough cash left over for MW armor and mundane gear. And yes, he's more powerful than a warrior with a +2 or +3 weapon. But not extremely more powerful. So he's completely and utterly screwed if he runs into a sundering enemy, certain oozes, and of course, rust monsters.