PDA

View Full Version : Moderate optimization targets at various levels

TuggyNE
2012-02-07, 03:09 AM
Inspired by a current primer on high-optimization survival (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231576), I decided to start another thread to explore the likely challenges for a low- to mid-op character through the levels. I'm mostly asking for input here; I'm not really experienced enough to come up with solid listings on my own. (Although I can and will analyze and try to critique everybody else's :smalltongue:)

By low- to moderate-optimization, I'm assuming something like this:
AC is fairly significant through much of the game
Wizards are likely to use fireball occasionally, but also more sophisticated choices like haste or stinking cloud
Mundanes aren't obviously outclassed by full casters until later levels
Druids are capable of using Natural Spell, barkskin, produce flame
Rangers might take an ACF or two to be more helpful
Rogues are likely to TWF, but probably won't have access to spells that add sneak attack
ToB might be allowed, depending on book availability, but it would likely be considered fairly powerful, though not banned because of that

And so forth. (Further examples beyond this rather jumbled list will be added or corrected as I think of them.)

So, what targets are useful for AC, saves, miss chances, DR, damage/round, movement speeds, and so forth? I'm assuming a progression of 1, 5, 10, 15, 20; finer granularity would probably be helpful, of course. Anecdotes, distilled experience, and statistics are all desirable, as long as their relative merits are remembered.