PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Assault rifle & handgun... Any ideas?

Kanosint
2012-02-07, 05:18 AM
Hey there,

Kano here with another character concept inspired by an obscure game.
This time it's Haken Browning from SRW:EF.

However, I am quite stuck with deciding how to legitimately and with First-party books only, make his weapons.

Night Fowl is his assault rifle with a pile bunker bayonet and a flip-blade short sword in the rifle's butt.
The Longtomb Special is a revolver with an elongated barrel and the ability to split the barrel length-wise to fire a powerful laser blast.

The setting allows for around 15 levels (but less is better) so if anyone has a good idea for how to create these weapons so as to allow these functions without adding new rules, I'll be quite grateful indeed.

Kind regards,

Kano

Krazzman
2012-02-07, 05:28 AM
The assault rifle:

Take a modern rifle, add bayonet and hidden weapon. Tadaaaa!

The revolver is similar. Take a base revolver and for the "laser-blast" take magic-special ammunition (alchemical ammunition).

Do-able at level 3, maybe 4. AFB but I think the rifle costs about 1500 gp (0 + bayonet and hidden weapon costs of about 100) and the revolver has a similar cost.

Ammunition costs, self crafted, 1GP per bullet (10 GP bought). Alchemical bullets range between 2,5 gp (self crafted) to 50 gp (bought).

All prices not guaranteed (since AFB).

Soup
2012-02-07, 06:30 AM
Just use the rules already in place.

Assault Rifle+bayonet: Blade Bow (from MiC, I think?). or maybe a repeater crossbow.

Handgun: double crossbowpistol from RoTD web excerpt.

Ask your DM if you can let feats and abilities function for both weapons. E.g. Crossbow sniper et al.

Krazzman
2012-02-07, 06:38 AM
Just use the rules already in place.

Assault Rifle+bayonet: Blade Bow (from MiC, I think?). or maybe a repeater crossbow.

Handgun: double crossbowpistol from RoTD web excerpt.

Ask your DM if you can let feats and abilities function for both weapons. E.g. Crossbow sniper et al.

Nice for DnD 3.5 but in Pathfinder there are already rules for guns.

The only thing the OP has to ask his dm for are the rules for bayonets and hidden weapons. I think they haven't been converted yet. They are printed in 3.5's complete scoundrel.

Kanosint
2012-02-07, 11:59 AM
The assault rifle:

Take a modern rifle, add bayonet and hidden weapon. Tadaaaa!

The revolver is similar. Take a base revolver and for the "laser-blast" take magic-special ammunition (alchemical ammunition).

Hmmm... Any way to make the Rifle autofire? (Or burst-fire?) the bayonet 'blast' out and the revolver long-barreled? :3 The long-barreled could be a Distance enchant, I s'pose...

Krazzman
2012-02-07, 01:35 PM
Any way to make the Rifle autofire? (Or burst-fire?)

Yes, Iteratives.

the bayonet 'blast' out

a bayonet is normaly there to stay at the gun it's fixed to.

and the revolver long-barreled? :3 The long-barreled could be a Distance enchant, I s'pose...

long barreled? if you mean greater reach, yeah it's distance, else I've got no Idea what you want.

Kanosint
2012-02-07, 01:48 PM
Yes, Iteratives.

a bayonet is normaly there to stay at the gun it's fixed to.

long barreled? if you mean greater reach, yeah it's distance, else I've got no Idea what you want.

I mean OTHER than iteratives :P Something similar to autofire in D20 modern maybe? Increasing accuracy and/or damage at the expense of ammo :3

As for the bayonet, I'm thinking like a pilebunker bayonet. Sorta like a pneumatic jackhammer.

And the long barrel would increase range (or at least accuracy at range, thus, Range Increment) so ya, Distance is probably best.

Kanosint
2012-02-08, 08:15 AM
There is that repeating rifle in UC, but still, is there a way to make it fire the full clip in one attack?

Krazzman
2012-02-08, 11:45 AM
Except for Haste, Rapid Shot?, Many Shot? or some homebrew feats....nope, no clue at all.

I don't even know if you can use Rapid and Many shot with them.

Cieyrin
2012-02-08, 12:16 PM
There is that repeating rifle in UC, but still, is there a way to make it fire the full clip in one attack?

If you mean as a full attack, Rapid Shot and Manyshot has you covered, though Manyshot technically requires a bow. :smallmad:

Otherwise, the Vital Strike line or Gunslinger's Dead Shot deed will emulate multiple bullets' worth of damage, though you actually only shoot 1 bullet. Dead Shot has more potential for stupid damage, since you roll multiple attacks with that one bullet, meaning more chances to crit.

Otherwise, PF gun tech isn't advanced enough to have burst or full auto settings, as most of the guns in the setting are muzzle-loaded, with the advanced firearms being chamber loaded.