PDA

View Full Version : [Eikan Empire]Prothius - IC

Sen isSaqqara
2012-02-07, 08:50 AM
As what was a beautiful fall day draws to a close, you find yourself in the small rural town of Innesh. It is a tiny community: a few dozen houses fill one half of the settlement; another quarter is made up of shops surrounding a small market square; and the last quarter is made up of workshops and storage sheds. The surrounding countryside is covered with large, sprawling farms. The town has one small inn, the Shining Pendant. It is getting dark, perhaps you should find a place to stay the night.

Egneil
2012-02-07, 05:47 PM
Moving along the road his mule let out a snort as Prothius looked at the darkening sky, "Quiet you. It's just another few yards," He said to it as he drew to the town. Opening his coin purse he grimaced at his funds, "Looks like I'll be needing to stay up for a few more hours yet," he muttered to himself before putting it away.

As he reached Innesh Prothius immediately starts heading to the stables.

Sen isSaqqara
2012-02-07, 06:36 PM
The nearest stables are attached to the Inn. A sign at the gate proclaims 'Store 1 Animal Free With Each Room! Enter Here And Knock At Rear Door!'

Egneil
2012-02-07, 06:52 PM
Hopping off of the cart Prothius looks around for a stable hand before following the directions on the sign.

---
If a stable hand is present Prothius will stop to talk with them before entering.

Sen isSaqqara
2012-02-07, 07:09 PM
There is no stable hand nearby. A bit of light leaks out the somewhat rickety back door of the Inn. Opening it reveals a busy bar room. A somewhat short human in an Innkeeper's outfit approaches you, a glass in one hand and a polishing rag in the other. He has a smile on his face, his eyes closed slightly. "How can I help you, friend?"

Egneil
2012-02-07, 07:28 PM
"Ah, well, I have this cart and mule you see," Prothius starts, smiling a charming smile, "They'll need stabling for the night, and I will need a place to stay myself. So I was wondering how much a room costs," With a shrug he motions out the door towards the stable, "I've also just finished a rather long trip, so I was wondering if you could have someone give the beast a nice bath."

Sen isSaqqara
2012-02-07, 10:07 PM
"Ah, of course!" says the innkeeper.
"Xian!" he calls out towards the stables. A small head pops up out of a large pile of hay, blond headed like the innkeeper.
"Go find this good fellow's mule a place to stay the night. Give it a wash while you're at it." The Innkeeper turns back to you, and gestures inside past where he is standing. Near the front door, you see a kith man wearing an innkeeper's outfit similar to the one the man is wearing, and a young kith woman with dark hair talking to him.
"My fellow proprietor can get you a room as soon as he is available."

Egneil
2012-02-07, 10:29 PM
"Well I'd prefer to agree on a price first, as my travels have cost me more than I'd like," Prothius says looking at the two Kith, "I don't have much of any coin to my name, but I find that I am quite a decent storyteller. I could offer a night of entertainment in exchange for room and board for both me and my mule."

----
Bluff- he has enough money for a room, but wants to make it seem like he's broke so he can keep all the money from his performance: [roll0]

Sen isSaqqara
2012-02-07, 10:50 PM
"Hmn, tell you what. This crowd is itching for a story, perhaps the Six from Shadow?" It is an ancient story from before the beginning of written history, about six crazed villains from the distant past. Their names differ each time, but myth remembers them as an assassin, a mage, a cleric, a warrior, a seductress, and a maniac with casual access to fire. They were the generals of an ancient evil, destined to overthrow their master and become living gods. The story goes that the six were joined by a seventh, who turned them slowly amongst themselves and finished off the last on his own. The peoples welcomed this mysterious stranger as a hero for killing their oppressors, but he turned out to be just as evil. At this point, a true hero is introduced in the form of the local high priest, who kills off the stranger in an epic duel.
"What do you say? I'll give you a free room if you can keep them entertained, and a free drink or two. Food's still on you, though."

Egneil
2012-02-07, 11:34 PM
"Hmmm...," Prothius said looking at the human for a moment before replying, "Interesting choice of story. Rather old isn't it? Perhaps a more recent story would be better to build up the suspense?" He asked before shrugging, "I do know the story you're asking for, but I feel it's best to save that one for the end of an act."

"Also is there a stage I can use?" Prothius asked looking at the innkeeper, "And can I assume that I can keep any coins tossed my way?" Scanning the crowd he tried to get a feel for the inns mood, while asking various questions about the entertainment for the past few months.

----
Gather Information- to see what stories have been told here recently, so he can keep his act fresh: [roll0]
Sense Motive- to learn what the current mood is so he can better chose which stories to tell: [roll1]
(which races are present and in what amounts is also useful, it's bad form to offend the patrons)
Yes I'm fishing for a circumstance bonus on my perform check. However these would probably be normal things for a bard to do before a show, so I don't expect one.

Sen isSaqqara
2012-02-07, 11:52 PM
"Sure, in fact that would probably be better anyways. It's Xian's favorite, and he's got to take care of your mule first. Tell a few others first. Also, of course the coin is yours."
He ushers you inside.
"There's a bit of a platform over there in the back corner you can use."
As you look across the crowd, you see that they are a generally happy bunch, with more kith than human but just barely. There is a buzz in the air, as if everyone expects something to happen.
"Normally old Javin would be telling the story, but he hasn't shown up yet. He's almost an hour late, really. Probably had a problem with one of his cows. It happens. Ah, well. Best get to it before they come after me for a story."

Egneil
2012-02-08, 01:33 PM
Nodding to the human Prothius heads to the stage with a swift and steady stride. As he approaches it his mind turns to which stories to tell. Taking note of the crowds tense mood he decides to open with a more action-oriented story.

"Good evening ladies and gentlemen!" Prothius said in a strong booming voice, yet only loud enough to rise above the din. As he moved towards the stage, he hops up on it as he continues, "Hello, Hello. I am Prothius Nightingale, traveling wanderer, and occasional storyteller," As he talks he gestures towards the ceiling then gives a deep bow. Looking back up he grins from ear to ear, eyes shining, "I find this lovely tavern to be a tad bit dull this evening," He looks down feigning sadness, before twirling a finger up to the ceiling, his head raising with it. Still beaming he said, "So I feel it to be my civic duty to dazzle you with stories!" Moving towards the audience he spreads his hands apart, "Stories of both myth and legend, imagined and true! And stories of action and intrigue, both new and old!"

Going to the edge of the stage Prothius grabs a nearby chair and drags it on stage. Leaning on it's back he continues, "So without further adieu I bring you a story of war, bravery and love. Of a mere Kith commoner proving his worth for a general's daughter," Sitting on the chair he speaks a bit softer as he begins the story, "You see, this is a story the great General Stravious, from back when he was but a lad. This takes place during the reign of Herulucis Traviskin the Third..." He said leaning towards the crowd. Weaving a tale of how Stravious was a simple farmhand to his family during a war of aggression. Of how warriors came to his village to draft more fighting men, and how he fell in love with a general's daughter when he reached the capital. The tale told of the many challenges Stravious faced and how he defeated each one. And it told of the battles he fought during the war. (Prothius would keep the more gory details vague should any children be present.) And how he dealt with the betrayal of one of the other suitors, leading to an important victory in the war. It would end with Stravious being promoted to a noble for his valor and getting the girl.

----
I took the liberty of making up my own story, I hope you don't mind. Also whether or not this story is based on history is up to you. Feel free to ret-con anything you don't like.
Perform (Storytelling)- to see how well the rest of the story goes: [roll0]

Sen isSaqqara
2012-02-08, 02:17 PM
The story works well, the audience breaks into applause at its conclusion.
The human innkeeper tosses you a room key attached to a thin wooden plaque labeled '4'.
"Your room's just up the stairs on the right, when you're done. You're doing great, by the way. The name's Rassi. Me and Kavin run the inn, and Xian outside keeps the stable in order. Nice to meet you."

Egneil
2012-02-09, 11:47 PM
"Haha. Thank you," Prothius said from his chair catching the key. Twirling it in the air a bit before pocketing it with a charming smile on his face, "And I must say that you have quite the inn. It's not as extravagant as the one's in the city, but it has a rather rustic feel that always makes me feel at ease," He said letting old emotions show on his face, "Say would you mind bringing me a drink. My throat is a bit parched from my travels. Although I should be good for at least another story."

With a smile and a wink he turns back to the crowd to continue his show. Placing a hand along his jaw Prothius feigns deep thought, "Ah, but what story to tell. What story indeed," Tapping a finger, he draws out silence for a moment or two. Snapping his finger he points up saying, "Yes, that one should work," Leaning towards the audience he begins his next story, "I have for you one of the tales of Garrel Stonearm, the human archaeologist who's adventures always hold that spark of humor. The story I have is from when he found the Crypts of Sand from the eastern shore...," He tells the tale of the human's adventure of dealing with various traps using strange methods. How he found the crypts entrance after battling a sea serpent with his blade and a length of rope. How he made a torch to light his way from various scraps he found in the darkness. He told of how Garrel disabled two magic traps with nothing but his wits and a nearby ladder. And told of how he was infected with a deadly illness. And how he cured it with alcohol and escaped through the crypt's true entrance. It ended with Garrel returning to civilization, and how he found himself in another adventure.

----
I assume that Rassi is by the stage as you didn't say Prothius moved to the bar. And again, I made up the details on the spot.
Perform (Storytelling)- for the same reasons as before: [roll0]

Sen isSaqqara
2012-02-11, 10:16 PM
The crowd cheers. Xian, the boy who was taking care of your mule, appears in the front of the audience. "Tell the story of the Six!" he calls.

Egneil
2012-02-12, 01:28 AM
Prothius smiles at the lad, inwardly detailing various ways to make his last story flow better. With a bit of laugh he says, "You want me to tell you the story of the Six? The story about the dastardly villains who were destined to became Gods?" Placing his hands on his knees he leans forward and gives Xian a mischievous smile and a wink. In a lower and more serious voice he continues, "This isn't a story of humor or high spirits. No the Six from Shadow is a story about never losing hope even in the darkest times. It speaks about the death and destruction that only a few can cause. About how even destiny itself can be overturned with determination and hope!" With each word he says his voice slowly returns to it's normal volume.

"This was before the time of Humans. Before the Saih were anything more than wolves. Back when the Dwarves were safely intrenched in their mountain homes...," Prothius begins again leaning towards the crowd. He continues the tale by telling how the people lived in fear and despair of the army from the volcanic wastes. How their march continued despite any resistance they encountered. He told of the six generals who lead at the front of the army. Who were unflinchingly loyal to one another, yet planning to overthrow their dark master. He told of the Six's power, each one specialized and unique. Of the Kith assassin, the Gnomish mage, and the Dwarven cleric. Of the Kith warrior and tactician, the Elven seductress, and the Gnomish maniac. He spoke of how they crushed town after town, growing more powerful after each victory. Telling the crowd how, after a particularly long battle, they met the stranger who would inevitably destroy them. How the stranger earned their trust, and quietly began telling each one a different lie. How the stranger twisted their prophesies of godhood into lies of treason. As their suspicions rose each town took longer and longer to take, and the stranger used that knowledge to prove to each the others betrayal. When they confronted each other, they started to fight. When it ended the people began to call the stranger a hero, only to learn, too late, that he betrayed them as well. However before many more towns could fall, the High Priest of a minor god appeared and started to fight him. It lasted for many hours, a battle of clashing steel and spells, each more powerful than the last. He ends the story with the priest with a lucky spell and blow to the head, and with the priest mortally wounded missing both his right eye and left leg.

----
Also Prothius would keep the gory details vague because there's a child in the audience.
Perform- for how well he told the various details: [roll0]

Sen isSaqqara
2012-02-13, 04:04 PM
As the story draws to its conclusion, you are interrupted by a loud crash from the roof, followed by what sounds like an explosion, and a barely audible thump from outside the front door.

Egneil
2012-02-13, 07:55 PM
Hearing the noise outside, Prothius makes a quick check of what he can do. Knowing that his armor and crossbow were in his cart, he decided to keep people from investigating the noise. Moving his arms up he smacks his leg and he says to the crowd, "Ladies and gentlemen, if I may keep your attention, I have one last story to finish off the night. I ask that you disregard the noises outside as they'll no doubt end when the town guard arrives," With that he goes off into another story, caring only enough about it's plot to keep everyone's interest. The story itself is a humorous tale of intrigue that takes a good deal attention to enjoy.

-----
Should the noises continue Prothius will try his best to portray it as something small and uninteresting. Should the noises escalate, or if a lot of people leave, he'll put a quick end to his story and head to his cart for his crossbow. This isn't his fascinate ability, (it can't effect enough people to help), so there's no compulsion.
Bluff- to downplay the noises as something that will be dealt with shortly: [roll0]
Perform- to try and keep the crowds attention as long as possible: [roll1]

Sen isSaqqara
2012-02-14, 01:33 PM
The crowd turns back to you, willing to accept your explanation. You see Rassi and a human woman making their way towards the door.

Egneil
2012-02-15, 11:47 PM
Prothius continues his story despite the innkeeper's movement. The entire point for this distraction was to let him deal with the situation without worrying about casualties. And so long as he keeps the greater majority of the crowds attention, then it'll be a success.

Catching himself thinking about the girl's actions, he stops and refocuses on keeping the crowd's attention. If the situation's resolved soon he might keep this night profitable.

----
He'll keep his current actions until something big happens, and he'll only take note of other people's action.

Sen isSaqqara
2012-02-15, 11:58 PM
Watching out of the corner of your eye, you see Rassi and the girl open the door and make their way cautiously outside. A few moments later, Rassi returns, closing the door after him. He looks visibly shaken.

Egneil
2012-02-16, 09:54 PM
Prothius kept his face lively as he continued to tell his story, despite his curiosity about Rassi's presence. The emotions on his face didn't exactly inspire confidence about tonight's pay. He decided to continue the story in any case. 'If Rassi wanted to give the crowd a message then he would interrupt the story,' Prothius thought to himself as he began the stories second act.

Sen isSaqqara
2012-02-16, 11:19 PM
Rassi looks over the crowd briefly, but turns to Kavin at the desk and starts talking to him in hushed tones instead of interrupting your story. He shoots you a glance that says thanks.

Egneil
2012-02-18, 09:37 AM
Prothius smiled inwardly as he continued to tell the story, it looks like the night would be still profitable, 'Sometimes,' he thought to himself, 'sometimes, a distraction for a night is exactly what is needed.'

As he kept focus on his story Prothius idly wondered what everything was about. In the end he decided to focus on the story, the best thing that he could do now is keep the crowd distracted.

Sen isSaqqara
2012-02-20, 03:01 PM
As you bring the story to a close, and the audience begins their applause, you hear a soft knocking on the platform. Looking down, you see a kith woman wearing an outfit hung with odd bits and pieces. Her hair matches it, small talismans dangling all over. "Excuse me?" she whispers. "I'd like to talk to you about town protection. It might be best if we talk in private!"

Egneil
2012-02-20, 08:41 PM
Seeing her youth he raises his eyebrow for a moment before standing. Putting the chair back he says, "Thank you, thank you. You've been a most wonderful audience. However my throat is getting sore so I'm afraid I can't tell another story," With a sidelong look at the strange Kith, Prothius tries to speak to her through the mind-link as he speaks to the crowd, "I take it you are here on Rassi's behalf little pup? If you wish to speak, then you cannot get more private than this."

Sen isSaqqara
2012-02-20, 09:06 PM
As you make your leave from the audience, several people come forward to hand you coins. Overall, it amounts to about 4 gold bits.
You hear the woman's voice in your head. "Well I didn't want to talk to you while you were performing or you might mix up the conversations, stage puppet! And Rassi sent me to talk to see if you want to help protect the village for a little while; the last one is, well, taking a dirt nap!"

Egneil
2012-02-21, 09:38 AM
Prothius smiled as he let a hearty laugh go through the link, "Stage puppet, I haven't heard that one in a while," He said through the link, putting the coins in his purse. Hopping off of the stage he continued, "You did wait for me to finish though, so I really buy that excuse. Anyway if you didn't catch my name in the beginning then you'll have to believe that I am Prothius Nightingale," Moving towards the bar he gave a charming smile at those he passed, "I find that I'm still quite good at keeping up multiple conversations at once, especially if they use different means of communication. However if you say Rassi wants to speak with me, then I shouldn't keep him waiting."

Approaching the bar Prothius speaks up with a smile saying, "Barkeep a mug of your finest please."

Sen isSaqqara
2012-02-21, 12:41 PM
Rassi, standing behind the bar, pulls out a large mug and fills it. "The best, huh? Five copper, then. Ah, but this is on the house, isn't it. Alright then." He puts the full mug down in front of you. "I take it you heard that we could use your help?"

Egneil
2012-02-21, 08:14 PM
"Yeah," Prothius said taking a swig from the mug, "it was from a rather young Kith woman. She said she was acting on your behalf," Putting the cup down he sat on a nearby stool and looked Rassi in the eye, "You should probably explain the situation a bit more. I don't know how much help I can be though. Sure I have a crossbow and some decent armor in my cart, but I'm mostly a traveler that tells stories."

Sen isSaqqara
2012-02-22, 01:03 PM
"She didn't explain much to you, did she? That noise just there appears to have been our town watch dying. Something attacked him, we're looking for replacements. I was wondering if you would help. Kavin'll call a meeting of the town council momentarily, if you're interested in helping in whatever way you can, be here in half an hour. Oh yeah, I almost forgot," he adds, gesturing to the woman you were speaking to earlier, "did you catch her name?"

Egneil
2012-02-23, 12:01 AM
"I see," Prothius murmured to himself as he took another gulp from the mug. Putting it down he gave Rassi a small smile and said, "I won't commit to anything yet, but I figure I should take a look at the corpse. Stories are consistent, so I might be able to tell what killed him," As he speaks his mood goes from lively to serious. Downing the rest of the mug he gets up, "I'll also need to know anything else about the attack, it'll help me narrow down what attacked him. Also didn't you say there was a storyteller coming by? Maybe he saw the attack! I want to talk with him if he did."

Finding that he didn't get the girl's name either, Prothius takes a moment to link with her, "So I take it Rassi told you about an opening in the town watch and you just took it? Did he say anything about payment?" He laughs a bit before continuing, "Anyway I might be working with you so I'd like to know some stuff about you. Like your trade, skills, and name. Also I didn't think there were still tribes around anymore."

----
I figure that even if he couldn't identify the tribe, he could still identify whether something is based on a tribe or not. Anyway various knowledge skills to see if he knows which tribe Ira's clothes are based on:
Knowledge (Geography): [roll0]
Knowledge (History): [roll1]
Knowledge (Royalty and Nobility): [roll2]
Bardic Knowledge: [roll3]

Sen isSaqqara
2012-02-23, 07:28 PM
Rassi answers first. "The body is outside, in the stables. You should be able to find it, I think Phiala said she put a blanket over it. It was Javin, the storyteller who normally entertains here. He was also the old town watch, has been as long as anyone can remember. As for the attack, perhaps ask Kavin or Phiala at the council meeting, they're up on the roof investigating as we speak."

"I just took it! Villages get scared easy and I have nothing else to do. I can cast spells all day, y'know. He didn't say anything about payment to me... Yes, sorcery is my trade. I am a sorcrerer. My name is Ira the Twist. I make, cast, and investigate sorcery. And there aren't any! But I study tribes for the magic they used and I like their style!"

Egneil
2012-02-25, 01:48 PM
Prothius looked at Rassi with surprise, "So the town watch was the storyteller," He let out a sigh as he leaned on the table, "I doubt he had a lot of stories about what he saw."

Receiving Ira's message, he stood and shook his head, "Slow down, it took me a bit to realize what questions you answered. Ira though, that's a good name. I take it 'the Twist' is your sorcerous title then?" Prothius said to her through the link. Heading to the back door he said to Rassi, "I should take a look at him, with any luck I'll get a clue about what attacked him. Though I should probably take a look at where he was killed. That'll give me the most information."

After a few steps Prothius sent a small laugh down the link, "You know, you remind me of an Ira I met a few winters back. A daughter of a nice sorceress archiver. She should be around 18 now though, I should probably send them a letter."

Sen isSaqqara
2012-02-25, 10:48 PM
"You can go take a look at his body, if you want. It looked pretty bad." Rassi looks over to the stairs as Kavin and a girl, who you assume is Phiala, walk down. "If you go up to the third floor, there's a hatch in the hallway ceiling leading to the attic, which has a door to the roof. It look like he fell from there, so that's probably where he was killed."

Egneil
2012-02-26, 12:03 PM
Prothius waved at Rassi as he entered the stable. Going to his cart he put on his pack, muttering to himself as he did so, "Everything's still heavy as hell," Slinging his crossbow over his shoulder he opened his chest and tossed in his coins. Locking it again he moved around the stable looking for a blanket.

----
I don't think I need to roll a spot or search check, but if you want to make one his modifiers are +1 and +5 respectively.

Sen isSaqqara
2012-02-26, 03:08 PM
The body is lying under a blanket in one of the stalls. Javin was an older human, about 60 as far as you can tell. His hair is grey, at least where it isn't covered in blood. There is a ragged, gaping puncture wound in the right side of his neck. There's a bit of soot in his hair.

"I'll slow down... Thank you; and The Twist is the name they gave me in the arcane college, it stuck. Criminy...I think that's me. Umm...so hello again!" The voice follows you outside.

Egneil
2012-02-26, 08:29 PM
"My oh my. How time does fly," Prothius remarked both aloud and through the link, "Is that really you? Man, I remember telling you stories when your parents couldn't get you to sleep. Heck, I even taught them some stories when I had to leave. I still send them some stories sometimes, your parents are good friends,"

Shaking his head he turns to the task at hand. Seeing the amount of blood Prothius started looking at the rest of body for other wounds. He says to Ira through the link, "Could you ask Rassi or Kavin to get me a bucket of water and a rag? I want to get this blood off of Javin so I can get a better look at the wound itself,"

Sen isSaqqara
2012-02-27, 01:08 PM
"It is me! I send them letters too, but not very often... Mostly just send them any books they'd like. I don't remember many stories, though. And comin' right up!"

You don't see any other wounds, but his clothes are ripped, and covered in a thin layer of fur.

Ira appears behind you, hauling a bucket of water with a cloth floating in it.

Egneil
2012-02-27, 11:06 PM
"Ah, there you are," Prothius said with a smile as he spotted Ira. Going up to her he relieves her of the bucket and returns to the stall. Taking out the towel he begins to clean off the blood. As he works he comments, "If you want to stay with me and watch I'll have to ask you to stay outside the stall. Sorry if I don't really talk while I work. It's just I promised that I'd look at this guy's wounds, maybe figure out what killed him."

----
Various knowledge rolls for when all of the blood is off. They're all to try and identify what creatures, spells, and/or weapons could have caused these wounds.
Knowledge (Arcana)- to cover any magical creatures or spells: [roll0]
Knowledge (Binding)- to see if binding rituals involve attacks like this: [roll1]
Knowledge (Geography)- to cover any exotic/regional weapons or spells: [roll2]
Knowledge (Nature)- to cover any animals or natural beasts: [roll3]
Knowledge (Religion)- to cover any divine (both good and evil) creatures or spells: [roll4]
Knowledge (The Planes)- to cover any extraplanar creatures or weapons: [roll5]
Bardic Knowledge- for any stories or legends that are about similar situations: [roll6]

Egneil
2012-02-29, 10:15 PM
Prothius cleaned his hands on the wet towel and dropped it in the bucket. With a sigh he shook his head and said, "Just as I thought, no real clues here," With that he dumps the bucket outside of the stables and takes the bucket inside. Handing it to Rassi he says, "It looks like he was gored by beast, and the only beast I know of that could make that wound don't belong here. I should probably take a look at where the explosion happened. I should also talk to anyone who saw anything."

Sen isSaqqara
2012-03-01, 09:10 PM
Ira, having followed you inside, speaks up. "There weren't many people who saw it I think! You'd need a boost to get up to the rooftop, though..."

Egneil
2012-03-02, 10:15 AM
Looking at Ira Prothius says, "Oh I don't plan on climbing onto the roof. I've been told that they have an access to the roof in the third floor, Moving to the stairs he heads up to the third floor. Looking around the hallway he opens the hatch and says, "I've been told that this hatch leads to the attic, which should have a door leading to the roof. And even if they didn't have this then they would have a ladder," Prothius rummages in his pack for his everburning torch, pulling it's covering off when he pulls it out. Affixing it to his belt he enters the attic, leaving the hatch open for more light.

Sen isSaqqara
2012-03-27, 09:53 AM
The hatch opens into a dark attic, lit by your torch. It is mostly empty, a few old boxes lying around. A small door on the far side opens to the roof.

Egneil
2012-03-27, 08:15 PM
Prothius moved towards the door looking around him as he went. Remembering what the innkeeper said about Javin's murder, he paid special attention to the ceiling. If the explosion occurred here then there should be signs of it. If it occurred elsewhere then there should be a sign of his impact.

---
Search: [roll0]

Sen isSaqqara
2012-03-27, 09:01 PM
There are no immediate signs of any explosion inside. Upon passing through the door, you emerge near the back of a gently sloped roof. At the opposite end, above the front of the building, is a strange sight. The wood of the roof appears to have been drawn like a liquid up into several tendrils around a circle about 2ft in diameter. They twist up, then part violently, at which point the signs of an explosion are obvious. The wood is burnt, scorched, and a layer of fine ash remains. The roof that the tendrils surround is thin, as if the wood were indeed pulled up to form this new shape.

Egneil
2012-03-28, 08:48 PM
Moving to the tendrils Prothius examines the soot on the tips. Moving the torch light around he made sure to look at as much as he could.

"Strange power," He muttered to himself as he thought of everything he could to identify it.

----
Knwoledge (Arcana)- for any spells or magic creatures:[roll0]
Knwoledge (Geography)- for any strong creatures or people in the area:[roll1]
Knwoledge (History)- if anything like this happened before:[roll2]
Knwoledge (Nature)- for any animals that can do this:[roll3]
Knwoledge (The Planes)- for any planar creatures or spells:[roll4]
Knwoledge (Binding)- in case binders can do this:[roll5]

Sen isSaqqara
2012-03-28, 08:54 PM
The blast would seem to have been caused by some magic: nothing substantial was burned yet signs of a flash burn are all around. You can't think of anything in particular that would have caused the wood to behave like this, nor do you recall any past events like this. Binders are supposed to be very powerful, so you suppose that one could be behind it, but only as much as any other mage.

Egneil
2012-03-28, 09:28 PM
Shaking his head Prothius stows his torch and heads back down to the inn. Maybe this council meeting Rassi was talking about would be more helpful.

Sen isSaqqara
2012-05-25, 09:07 PM
Making your way back into the Inn, one of the younger council members helps you to your seat. Xian seems to have gotten everyone calmed down a bit. Once everyone is seated, an elder addresses you and Phiala. "I think I speak on behalf of everyone here when I say that we thank you for dealing with... whatever that was. You showed exemplary bravery. Rassi was mentioning to me earlier that perhaps you should take over Javin's role as town watch. I for one think this is a brilliant idea. I would feel much safer knowing you are nearby. In fact," he adds with a smile and a glance towards the Innkeepers, "I may just rent a room here for the night." His words are greeted with a murmur of approval and agreement.

Egneil
2012-05-25, 10:14 PM
Holding his still tender arm as he sits down, Prothius waves away the hands helping him. With a pleasant smile towards the helper, he takes a small look towards the door. His thoughts still on the crystal that controlled Javin's corpse.

Upon hearing the last sentence of the elder, Prothius remains silent during the murmurs. After a moment he clears his throat so he could speak, "Thank you for you're kind words, but I feel I would not make much of a town watch. As you are most likely aware, I am a wanderer and cannot stay in one place for too long," Taking a small breath he raises his hand and continues, "I will assure you now though that I will stay and finish my investigation before I leave."

Sen isSaqqara
2012-05-31, 11:23 AM
After Prothius speaks Phiala takes a moment's pause, trying to gather her thoughts. She says, "I thank you for the honor and your kind words, elder... I'd like nothing more than for this town and its people to be safe. Many of you have become close friends, even like family..."

Phiala's brows furl and her expression becomes melancholy. "...my real family, it's elsewhere. I don't know if I could ever go back. I don't know if I want to. Heck, a year ago I never would have thought I'd still be here in Innesh. This's a big responsibility and a decision I just don't know I can make... But in truth, I also feel like I wouldn't make much of a town watch either. --Or at least, maybe I did until tonight. I thought Javin was a good town watch, too, but then this goes and happens. This... whatever's going on, a simple town watch from a village - I just have a feeling that it's much bigger and far more dangerous than anyone here can handle."

As she speaks, you notice a young woman in white robes speaking with Kavin at the front desk. She steps back outside as Phiala finishes speaking, and Kavin turns back to the council. "Well, hopefully no one will have to face it alone. I've just met a healer who would be willing to help. With the three of you together, I'm sure you can deal with whatever is causing all this trouble. She's out taking a look at Javin's body now."

"Ah, why don't we go out and meet her! In the mean time..."

Phiala stands up and produces the crystal wrapped in a rag, setting it on the table. "Why don't the rest of you take a look at this thing and see what you can make of it?"

As Phiala places the crystal on the table, the rag unfolds a bit, revealing the crystal underneath. A handprint is glowing on its surface.

Egneil
2012-06-02, 07:45 AM
"Wait," Prothius says as he stands up. Taking his injured arm out of the sling he lightly picks up the crystal, and using his other hand grabs Phiala's wrist. Looking between the hand and the crystal he looks to see if they're similar, before letting go of her hand and matching up is own.

Sen isSaqqara
2012-06-02, 10:05 AM
The print seems to match Phiala's hand, though it is hard to tell, as it is wrapped around the crystal.

"Hey! What're you... So you think that's from my hand?? And you can let go of my wrist now." says Phiala, snatching her hand out of your grip, but returning it to where it was.

Egneil
2012-06-02, 10:00 PM
"Curious," Prothius murmured to himself as he let go of her hand. Giving her a slightly apologetic smile he says, "Sorry about that, but I just wanted to confirm a theory."

Turning back to the council he places the crystal back on the rag, and says, "I wish to study this object more, so with you're permission I would like to have this sent to my room. I also ask that you send two people to take the object," Before they could look confused about the request, Prothius explained, "We don't know what power this object holds, so it may take the mind of the carrier. Also the second person will act as a witness, not because it might be stolen, but so that I may confirm my current theory," Taking a breath between words he puts his injured arm back into his sling, "If I am to examine it I will need a pen, ink, and a ream of paper or parchment. A jeweler's chisel, lens, and acids would also aid in the process."

Sen isSaqqara
2012-06-02, 10:47 PM
Suddenly, the crystal moves in your grip. It wriggles, struggling under its own power. Before you can act, it slips forward out of your hand, and sails towards Phiala.

Sen isSaqqara
2012-06-03, 09:30 AM
Phiala jumps backwards, away from the crystal, managing to stay on her feet. The crystal halts its flight midair about a foot from her, hovering in midair. It is glowing slightly. In a moment, it seems to melt into light, which flows down and into her hand.

Egneil
2012-06-03, 11:51 AM
"Very curious," Prothius says in startled bemusement. Turning back to the council he speaks, rubbing the back of his neck, "Addendum to my request. If you could send me every item of magic that can either detect, and or affect magic, I wish to study what happened to her in more detail," Letting out a breath he looked to those sitting, "I know you want her to be safe, but we are still dealing with an item of unknown power, trying to remove it improperly might cause her to change like Javin did."

"It looks like I'll also need the Healer's services," Prothius said as he moves towards the door to the stables, "Don't worry I won't be long."

Sen isSaqqara
2012-06-05, 04:33 PM
You can hear Phiala's voice behind you as you leave.
"Great Protector, I think its doing something to my arm like Javin's!"

Outside, you see Xian and a man of about 30, watching as a young woman examines the body. She stands and begins talking to them.

Egneil
2012-06-05, 05:44 PM
Prothius looked back when the girl spoke, but decided to continue to the stables.

Remembering Kavin saying that the healer was examining Javin's body, he walks up to the woman. Grabbing her arm Prothius begins to pull her with him, "Healer, you need to come with me. A situation has occurred that requires your immediate attention!" He urgently says to her as way of explanation.

Sen isSaqqara
2012-06-05, 09:11 PM
Gently freeing her arm from his grasp, she nods and follows him. The other man follows as well, leaving Xian alone outside.

Egneil
2012-06-06, 12:39 PM
Heading back to the inn Prothius keeps his pace up and tries his best to explain the situation, "The hole in Javin's body was made by a small crystal which was extracted in the fight. We think that it's what caused his body to animate and attack. When it was brought before the council, I attempted to examine the hand-print that appeared on it. This caused it to spring to life and merge with the person how pulled it out."

When he gets inside Prothius points out the girl the crystal merged with and moves to her side.

Sen isSaqqara
2012-06-07, 08:22 AM
The healer rushes over to the girl. "Other than the obvious, are you alright? Feel light headed or strange?"

Sen isSaqqara
2012-06-07, 07:15 PM
Phiala tilts her head toward the new arrivals and says, "You're the healer, I presume? And by 'obvious' do you mean the bone that began growing out of my shoulder blade and the crystal dangling off it, or do you not see it too?" She points to a spot on the back of her shoulder. You see nothing there.

"Yes, I am a healer. My name is Sheila, priestess of the Protector. I was told a strange crystal merged with your body, so yes I was referring to that as the obvious. But I confess, I do not see it..."
She feels the area very carefully trying to examine it, not really being shy about where she touches. She starts mumbling a few vaguely divine-sounding words under her breath.

"What is it?? Do you sense anything?"

"Well the good news is that my magic is indicating that what you are seeing is a illusion. However I do not possess the ability to end it, so it is up to you. You must simply force yourself to accept that what you see is not real."

"Alright, I'll try..."
She turns to speak to everyone. "Sorry about all the fuss. So... this crystal was real, right? But where did it go? Did it really go into me, or do you think it used some illusion to... escape?"

"My suspicion and hopes are that whatever it's original purpose, it expended the remainder of it's energy as it placed the illusion on you. The purpose of the illusion; to cause fear and chaos while removing evidence of the original crime. It seems sound in theory, but having not been here when it happened I can only speculate."

"Regardless, this gentleman and I were going to go investigate... Javin's? house. I believe that it is where he was located when the dark magic was originally placed on him. Is anyone hurt and needs healing while I am still here?"

Egneil
2012-06-10, 11:36 PM
Listening to the exchange Prothius felt very useless. Thinking about what Sheila learned and the nature of illusion magic, a disturbing theory came to the forefront of his mind, "What if the magic was meant to monitor and mark instead of hide an escape."

Thinking about only sharing this with the Healer, Prothius shook his head and said aloud, "No. No, she needs to know as well," Taking a breath he looked to the girl and Sheila, "Could it be possible that this effect is meant more to mark and monitor the victim? I don't think that illusions would simply vanish when you learn about it's true nature. And if you can sense it as an illusion, couldn't the crystal's creator do so as well? I mean if illusions are meant to make one question reality, why should you make it easy for someone to guess it's true intent?"

Turning his gaze to the girl Prothius addresses her, "I wanted to tell only the healer, but I felt that we should focus on more than one theory. I'm sorry if I alarmed you, and I trust Sheila's judgement. If she says it's an illusion, than it's an illusion and can't harm you unless you let it. I just feel that it's best if you kept an eye on it for a bit. To see if there's only an illusion on you, and maybe to see if it could be hidden should it persist."

Sen isSaqqara
2012-06-11, 02:12 PM
She looks thoughtful for a moment and then shrugs. "When it comes to magic, anything is possible. Although the only trace of magic I'm detecting right now is illusion, so I don't think so. Resisting detection should register as an abjuration. Monitoring her would likely be divination. In the morning I will ask the protector for the power to aid in removing it, but until then all we can do is wait. But there certainly would be no harm in making sure by having someone stay with her. Let me know if there is anything else I can do."

She begins to walk out the door to go to Javin's.

Sen isSaqqara
2012-06-15, 09:37 AM
As they leave, Kavin steps up to you and Phiala. "Unless either of you wish to go with them, I suggest we all retire to our rooms. It's late, and we normally close down the common room about now."

Sen isSaqqara
2012-07-13, 11:34 PM
Phiala says, "Uh, yes... we probably should catch up to them at Javin's farm to help investigate. But I thought someone here was about to say something before we were interrupted? Or did we all just gather here to conclude we know nothing about what just happened?" She makes that last remark with a neverous laugh.

She turns to Kavin and replies, "Perhaps the council should stay until we can gather more information there. But at this rate, I'm not sure what would be best..."

Kavin is the first to reply.
"You two've gone through enough for one night. Why don't we all head to sleep for the night? I'll catch up with the other two myself. You need some rest. All of you."