PDA

View Full Version : Becoming epic

SilverLeaf167
2012-02-07, 09:28 AM
Do you think it would be cool to depict the process of becoming an epic character in some special way, rather than just "taking another level"? One example I had in mind was a (literally) epic ascension to demigodhood (which I think epic levels should represent) (yes I know demigod specifically means halfgod, that doesn't matter here), like the God Tier ascensions in Homestuck or the kind of power-ups that happen in lots of fantasy, especially anime.

Would it bring nice flavor to the game and/or make that golden 21st level more memorable? Of course, it won't fit in all settings, but generally speaking.

Though the concept of Epic levels might only apply to D&D, I think this discussion could concern any system with such super-high levels.

Yora
2012-02-07, 09:45 AM
Delete your post from the duplicate thread and the thread is gone.

jaybird
2012-02-07, 09:51 AM
Take a look at Dark Heresy: Ascension for some ideas. For example, to make Ascension from Scum (underworld criminal type) to Desperado, the Acolyte basically asks for leave from his Inquisitor, goes back home, clears out every single opposing criminal organization, and becomes the kingpin of crime on his home planet/hive. Think the Godfather, except it's just Michael Corleone without backup vs the Five Families.

SilverLeaf167
2012-02-07, 09:51 AM
I tried, but it doesn't give me that option when I edit it.

EDIT: Yes, some kind of quest can be a fairly cool way of ascending to epicness, but I'm personally more interested in some kind of visually astounding display of power, whichever kind is most fit for the character.

Xefas
2012-02-07, 10:47 AM
It sounds like something that could easily be worked in to 3.5 Epic Destinies as a "when you take the first level - X specific thing related to this destiny happens".

Dragon Star
2012-02-08, 03:57 AM
It sounds like something that could easily be worked in to 3.5 Epic Destinies as a "when you take the first level - X specific thing related to this destiny happens".

Epic destinies are from 4e.

Xefas
2012-02-08, 09:43 AM
Epic destinies are from 4e.

Here is a blog (http://lonelygm.blogspot.com/2011/02/epic-destinies-for-d-35pathfinder.html) that saved the WotC article before it went away with the changing of their website. Epic Destinies were actually a thing in 3.5 at the very end before 4e. Take a look.

You'll find a whole bunch of homebrewed epic destinies on this website for 3.5 as well. Krimm's homebrew (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4589069&postcount=50) has eight(ish), for one, and The Demented One (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7315805&postcount=52) has a ridiculous number more. I'm sure there are even more than that, but those two I still have their homebrew bookmarked.

SilverLeaf167
2012-02-08, 10:01 AM
Epic Destinies seem pretty cool, though that link is pretty unclear about when the destiny is actually fulfilled, but I don't really want to derail this thread into discussing that.

But yeah, though those are cool, some of them seem fairly lackluster... as I mentioned, I like to consider Epic character as something just below a god in power.

I'm just asking about your opinion on whether this kind of ascension can be cool, how it should be done and perhaps how you've done it yourself.

Mystify
2012-02-08, 08:30 PM
That kind of ascension can most definitely be cool. I think the epic level handbook specifically mentions that possibility, but I don't remember precisely offhand.

I did a similar thing in my last campaign. My players were intrinsically linked with these ancient heroes of old. At level 20 they pulled off a ritual to summon these hero's back to deal with the BBEG elder evil god(Literally the Elder God Of Evil). The result of this ritual was the hero's souls being merged into their own, turning them into a kinda of uber-gestalt. They had the best abilities scores from each character, the feats from both, and class features combined as normal for gestalt. I had specifically designed the ancient heroes to be very synergetic with the party, and for the end results of the fusion to work extremely well as a team.
This lead to them ROFLstomping the Cr 20 enemies that had become common, then going on to the final battle with the elder god. For a sense if the power scale, the god had 500,000 hp. He only lasted 5 rounds, and he wasn't just sitting there and taking it.

Medic!
2012-02-08, 08:43 PM
My one attempt at running an Epic level game of 3.5 started with the party entering a sealed vault/dungeon that forced them through a series of challenges (some mazes, puzzles, appropriate CR encounters and under-CR encounters) that culminated in fighting Baphomet from the Fiendish Codex (1 or 2, idr which atm). Their goal was to defeat him any-which-way with no punches pulled and no resting or recovery of resources after entering to obtain a Tome of Power (the Epic Level Handbook) that divulged ancient secrets they could learn to break the normal power paradigm(sp?).

I felt like it was a good lead-in to Epic levels....but of course it was my idea so why wouldn't I?

Anxe
2012-02-08, 09:34 PM
That was how Epic levels worked when they were first released in Dragon and Dungeon. Dungeon contained an adventure where the players were allowed to take their 21st level after touching a font of power at the bottom of the sea. Epic power was very much an ascension to godhood and only a few were allowed to do it. At least with the initial system. It was later changed to being optional.

The process of going up that extra level shouldn't matter. I think the epicness of the things the characters are facing is already scaling. The extra bump when you hit 21st feels unnecessary.

I haven't played into epic yet though, so maybe I'm full of bull.

Mystify
2012-02-08, 09:42 PM
That was how Epic levels worked when they were first released in Dragon and Dungeon. Dungeon contained an adventure where the players were allowed to take their 21st level after touching a font of power at the bottom of the sea. Epic power was very much an ascension to godhood and only a few were allowed to do it. At least with the initial system. It was later changed to being optional.

The process of going up that extra level shouldn't matter. I think the epicness of the things the characters are facing is already scaling. The extra bump when you hit 21st feels unnecessary.

I haven't played into epic yet though, so maybe I'm full of bull.
There is a distinct qualitative shift when you hit epic. For instance, casters get epic casting. That is a Big Deal.
of course, martials are left in the dust, even moreso than normal.

One Tin Soldier
2012-02-10, 01:49 AM
This reminds of Scion, in which characters that reach high levels literally become demigods, and eventually gods. It is actually expected, provided they survive and continue gaining power.