PDA

View Full Version : Two-Weapon Fighting w/ Lance and Sword

DJ_Lycos
2012-02-07, 11:39 AM
I was just courious if there was a way to fight with a Lance and a Shortsword in either 3.5 DnD or Pathfinder similar to Hilde from Soul Calibur?

Black_Zawisza
2012-02-07, 11:52 AM
In core, there's always the Short Spear. I dunno if there's something better outside of core, though.

Urpriest
2012-02-07, 12:03 PM
When mounted the lance is one-handed, so you could do it then. But really there's very little reason to, as in D&D you essentially never have any reason to use mismatched weapons for TWF unless there's a feat dedicated to it.

Gwendol
2012-02-07, 12:07 PM
Not to mention that it is in most cases very hard to pull off: the lance is a reach weapon, while the short sword isn't, which means you will have to take a 5' step to hit with both unless your enemies are positioned that way. Also, that is not how you want to play mounted lance-wielding types since reach is one advantage you may want to keep.

deuxhero
2012-02-07, 12:36 PM
If you somehow get a reach weapon in one hand, you don't actually need to use TWF for this, as there are only penalties if you actually use both.

DJ_Lycos
2012-02-07, 12:46 PM
If you somehow get a reach weapon in one hand, you don't actually need to use TWF for this, as there are only penalties if you actually use both.

that is true I was mainly thinking of using the lance for reach until they got up close then using the shortsword

big teej
2012-02-07, 01:50 PM
that is true I was mainly thinking of using the lance for reach until they got up close then using the shortsword

then I would concur with the assessment that you don't need TWF for this idea.

you simply switch off.

Drathmar
2012-02-07, 01:59 PM

Ya iirc as long as you only use 1 weapon a round (even if holding 2) you don't need twf

Feralventas
2012-02-07, 02:00 PM
Keeping both weapons at hand would probably reduce your damage capacity (1h= only 1 or even 1/2 strength mod to damage). A player in one of my games used a long-spear for reach and such while having a Gauntlet on at all times. It functions as a melee weapon with normal reach, but allows you to hold a weapon when you need to without worrying about picking up Quick-Draw or similar utilities.

Kaeso
2012-02-07, 03:31 PM
Hilde’s battle style, ‘‘Große Erbschaft’’, allows her to freely alternate between using her lance or her sword, depending on which button the player presses. Pressing the vertical-attack button controls Hilde’s lance, while the horizontal-attack button controls her sword.[1] Switching rapidly between these two weapons in moderation can properly assail an opponent from long range, and also dominate him or her in close-ranged environments; her sword is used for close range and the lance for long range attacks, and her signature charge attacks

Emphasis mine.
Not only did all the other posters indicate that just wielding two weapons and using one at a time is superior and less feat intensive, but it actually fits Hilde's actual combat style.

Rapidghoul
2012-02-07, 05:28 PM
As for actually wielding a lance in one hand, you can talk to your DM about how they'd let you use Monkey Grip. It allows you to use a size large of weaponry in one hand rather than two (at a -2 penalty). Since a shortspear has 1d6 medium damage and 1d8 large damage (which is the same as a medium lance), you can wield a large shortspear in one hand to replicate this.

Greenish
2012-02-08, 12:09 AM
As for actually wielding a lance in one hand, you can talk to your DM about how they'd let you use Monkey Grip. It allows you to use a size large of weaponry in one hand rather than two (at a -2 penalty). Since a shortspear has 1d6 medium damage and 1d8 large damage (which is the same as a medium lance), you can wield a large shortspear in one hand to replicate this.Still no reach, though, which I'd imagine being the idea.

Kaeso
2012-02-08, 10:14 AM
Still no reach, though, which I'd imagine being the idea.

Perhaps the DM will rule that large shortspear (which is an oxymoron) = lance?

NeoSeraphi
2012-02-08, 10:24 AM
When mounted the lance is one-handed, so you could do it then. But really there's very little reason to, as in D&D you essentially never have any reason to use mismatched weapons for TWF unless there's a feat dedicated to it.

Hmm...actually...what if you dual-wielded lances and Pounced? With the double damage and all the TWF extra attacks, it actually might turn out to be than two-handing. You only get x2 Str with your main hand and x1 Strength with your off-hand, but you get the enhancement bonus for both of them doubled...

And if you have Spirited Charge, that's triple damage...x3 Str for your main hand, x1.5 for your off-hand...Hmmm....

Kaeso
2012-02-08, 10:47 AM
Hmm...actually...what if you dual-wielded lances and Pounced? With the double damage and all the TWF extra attacks, it actually might turn out to be than two-handing. You only get x2 Str with your main hand and x1 Strength with your off-hand, but you get the enhancement bonus for both of them doubled...

And if you have Spirited Charge, that's triple damage...x3 Str for your main hand, x1.5 for your off-hand...Hmmm....

You can get a pounce equivalent through the cavalier class, which advances your mount as if you were a paladin. Hmmm, a dual wielding lance cavalier.. sounds lethal :smallamused:.
If you can get your hands on a flying mount, nothing escapes your wrath... save tier 1 classes.

FMArthur
2012-02-08, 11:50 AM
And Tier 2s. And Tier 3s with melee-shutdown abilities like Counter Charge, other immediate action emergency measures, or walls of animated skeletons protecting them. Lots of things stop charges, make them not matter or deny you the option to do so.

Cog
2012-02-08, 12:05 PM
Perhaps something like:

Hilde's Style

Requirements: Weapon Focus (Lance), Weapon Focus (Short Sword).

Benefits: After completing a charge with your lance, you may immediately take an additional 5' step to close to short sword range. This step must take you closer to at least one still-living target of your charge.

You can use your lance for offense even when you cannot use it for defense. In any round which you do not make any attacks with your lance, you gain a +2 shield bonus to AC. Any attack you make with your lance negates this bonus until the start of your next turn.