PDA

View Full Version : Logistic Breaking Magic

Suddo
2012-02-07, 12:46 PM
So I just want to know if other people have the same dislike of logistic breaking magic as I do. When I say logistics I mean the requirement of having a source of food and water, and proper time management.
The main cultures of the former, food and water, are things like create food and water or the item versions there in. I just dislike the fact that you literally gain the ability to gain something from nothing. I do realize that it takes 35,000 poor meals (which are under costed) to get your moneys worth but still the fact that you no longer need to care about the lowly commoner at all sense their existence is meaning less to you.
The latter problem, time management, I dislike the removal of even more. The main culprits here are two, travel and sleeping. Teleport breaks the former, ring of sustenance breaks the latter.

I'm actually a fan of non-E6 games where magic gets kind of crazy I just dislike that certain forms of resource management are looked at as things that the player shouldn't concern themselves with. I'm even for less book keeping. I just like the fact that someone has to have first watch of the night.

What are other people's opinions on this subject. Hopefully this post isn't too ranty.

SilverLeaf167
2012-02-07, 01:08 PM
When it's about the PCs, well, they're spending resources on stuff most groups don't even care about, so it's not really that big of a problem, though it might be annoying the one time you do want it to matter. Still, if it worries you that much, just don't give them those items.

When it comes to larger scale matters, such as entire populations or armies being supplied this way, the only way it can really happen anyway is because of either very unrealistic resource management or taking things to the far extreme, as in Tippyverse. It is nearly impossible to mass produce those spells/items, unless you use the questionable rules about resetable traps.

The thing that does annoy me mis PCs using Teleport to bypass the travel part of any story, but there are methods of fixing that, too, and it should really never apply to movement of larger amounts of people.

gkathellar
2012-02-07, 01:08 PM
From the perspective of standard fantasy, I hate it, which is why I'm not really interested in using 3.5 to run standard fantasy any more. But a Tippyverse can be fun when you know what you're getting into.

Suddo
2012-02-07, 03:29 PM
From the perspective of standard fantasy, I hate it, which is why I'm not really interested in using 3.5 to run standard fantasy any more. But a Tippyverse can be fun when you know what you're getting into.

True Tippyverses can be fun.

bloodtide
2012-02-07, 03:50 PM
I don't dislike 'logistic breaking magic', as much as I just don't think it has that big of an effect on the world.

Magic can do a lot of things, but it can't do everything.