PDA

View Full Version : [3.P] Are there ways to force the enemy to provoke AoOs?

Helldog
2012-02-07, 12:55 PM
Are there?

Namfuak
2012-02-07, 12:59 PM
You could dominate them and force them to move through your allies' squares. Also, if you phrased the request correctly, you could force a charmed person to provoke AoOs (by making them run next to an ally and fire a ranged weapon, for example, if they aren't expecting to be attacked they won't get a saving throw against doing something harmful).

Helldog
2012-02-07, 01:03 PM
Well, that's one way to do it, although not exactly what I had in mind.

Hand_of_Vecna
2012-02-07, 01:15 PM
More specific requests are better but for a start.

Thicket of Blades stance (all movement around you provokes AoO)
and
Defensive Sweep (standing next to you and not moving provokes AoO)

This pretty much forces anyone you fight to give you at least one AoO everyround. If you toss in mage slayer you've got teleporting away covered too.

NichG
2012-02-07, 01:36 PM
Do either of those prevent a 5' step, since that would be an easy solution to 'I have to move and yet I must not'

Helldog
2012-02-07, 01:36 PM
More specific requests are better but for a start.
All suggestions are welcome.

A little addendum: Are there ways to force the enemy to provoke AoOs not only for me?

Jack Zander
2012-02-07, 01:38 PM
I assume you are playing 3.5? In Pathfinder there are combat maneuvers such as reposition that move enemies around and provoke for your allies. In 3.5 if you are lined up correctly, a bullrush will force someone to provoke.

FMArthur
2012-02-07, 01:41 PM
Robilar's Gambit and Karmic Strike are feats that let you take AoOs against foes that attack you, and there are ways to force the enemy to attack you. The Defensive Rebuke maneuver (3rd level, Devoted Spirit) can also make them take AoOs for attacking your allies instead of you.

There are various things littered about the Tome of Battle as well, such as Feigned Opening (AoO for taking an AoO against you!)

Heatwizard
2012-02-07, 01:49 PM
If you're on the front lines, Karmic Strike and/or Robilar's Gambit will give you a free swing every time you get attacked.

e: Slow as molasses.

Frosty
2012-02-07, 01:51 PM
If you have Greater Bullrush feat, when you push enemies past your allies the enemies provoke.

FMArthur
2012-02-07, 01:53 PM
Well now you've put Pathfinder in the title, Greater Trip makes your enemy provoke AoOs when you trip them.

Helldog
2012-02-07, 01:57 PM
Well now you've put Pathfinder in the title, Greater Trip makes your enemy provoke AoOs when you trip them.
Sweet.
Some day I have to sit down and read all the PF feats. I'm missing so much good stuff. :smallsigh:

jmelesky
2012-02-07, 02:14 PM

Same with Greater Reposition, Overrun, and Drag (Bullrush, too, as Frosty pointed out).

Tyndmyr
2012-02-07, 02:26 PM
Are there?

Yes. Bigsby's Slapping Hand(magical locations, Complete...Scoundrel IIRC), causes the target to immediately provoke...though IIRC, there's a concentration check to negate it.

Situationally awesome.

Arbane
2012-02-07, 02:34 PM
Pathfinder's got the Barbarian's Come At Me Bro And Get Me (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/barbarian/rage-powers/paizo---rage-powers/come-and-get-me-ex) feat, which gives you an AoO whenever someone hits you in melee combat (but they hit harder), and there's a Witch spell called Screech (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/screech) which makes all enemies in range immediately save or provoke an AoO.

Helldog
2012-02-07, 02:37 PM
Pathfinder's got the Barbarian's Come At Me Bro And Get Me (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/barbarian/rage-powers/paizo---rage-powers/come-and-get-me-ex) feat, which gives you an AoO whenever someone hits you in melee combat (but they hit harder)
That's a Rage Power and also almost identical to Robilar's Gambit. Good if you play a high level Barb and are feat starved.

deuxhero
2012-02-07, 03:02 PM

Which would be nice if it wasn't replacing half of 3.5's Improved Trip giving and actual free attack (it doesn't eat your AoOs, though if part of a full attack an AoO uses your full BAB).

Why does (core) PF hate melee even worse than 3.5?

Hand_of_Vecna
2012-02-07, 03:12 PM
Do either of those prevent a 5' step, since that would be an easy solution to 'I have to move and yet I must not'

yes ticket of blades does.

Lovable Wizard
2012-02-07, 03:41 PM
Simple. Take the awsome blow feat. Knocks an enemy back, and if they are close enough to an ally, he would get attack of opportunity for the character moving. I recall a monster thats main tactic involves surrounding the enemy, and constant awsome blowing them into eachother with their combat reflexes. Really destroys some PCs

Zaq
2012-02-07, 11:30 PM
Sigh. Once again, I must, for no one else will.

The level 5 LEM utterance Eldritch Attraction is basically 4e-style forced movement, except that it explicitly makes the target provoke. It allows a saving throw, which sucks, but if you pump the save DC enough and have a melee-heavy party, it's probably the most damaging LEM utterance a 'Namer can have. (If your party has Combat Reflexes, you can even quicken the reversed version, drag the target past the same party members, and double-dip.)

Curious
2012-02-08, 12:35 AM
Well, you can use Antagonize to force an enemy to run at you, which will probably provoke AoOs.

Chained Birds
2012-02-08, 02:39 AM
I always liked the Panther Style chain in Pathfinder. Just move around the battlefield punching people in the face that try to AoO you for moving around the battlefield. The fun part is that your AoO goes before them, so you can pull some shenanigans against them using other abilities in conjunction with the AoO.

Tyger
2012-02-08, 08:47 AM
Not sure precisely what your classes and available resources are, but Irresistable Dance works wonders for this - the target provokes each round on its turn.

chaotician375
2012-02-17, 11:59 AM
if you want to go the archer route take a lvl in exotic weapons master CW using like a great bow or double bow and take the ranged disarm stunt to disarm them and when they pick up their weapon AoO!

Novawurmson
2012-02-17, 12:35 PM
Though it's already been mentioned, I'd just like to point out that Improved Drag is perhaps better than Improved Bull Rush when it comes to provoking attacks of opportunity. Imagine the following situation, where E = Enemy, A = Ally, and Y You:

-E-
AYA

Sure, Bull Rush will knock them away and provoke, but now they're in a better position to flee, and your allies will have to move to get back in range of them if they decide to move.

If you Drag them, the situation looks like:

---
AEA
-Y-

Now, in addition to provoking attacks of opportunity from the Drag, even if they five foot step or use the withdraw action, they're going to provoke more attacks of opportunity. Plus, if you beat their CMD by enough, you could potentially drag them even further, provoking even more attacks of opportunity from your allies if they have Combat Reflexes. Of course, be sure they don't have any negative AoE effects before pulling them into your party!