PDA

View Full Version : Social skills, homebrew or best exsisting one?

Devronq
2012-02-07, 05:16 PM
What do you guys think is the best social skills system in any rpg game? For diplomacy bluff etc. I was thinking about making some sort of roll opposed sense motive vs diplomacy to see if you persuade someone. I also kinda like and dont like 2nd edition where you just had the roll under your ability score to succeed in the result. (ex. you had 14 cha so you roll a d20 and if you get under 14 you pass your diplomacy check) The thing i didnt like is that it didn't really leave room for degrees of difficulty seeing as it would be just as easy to convince a peasant something as it would be to convince the smartest man in town. But anyways thoughts? whats the best system or whats your favorite homebrew version of diplomacy and social skills?

Halberd
2012-02-15, 11:59 PM
Rich had some good homebrewed rules on diplomacy. Press Looking for the Gaming Articles? (under gaming)and it should take you there.

BarroomBard
2012-03-03, 06:08 PM
What system you like depends on what place you want social interactions to take in your games. In standard D&D, social interactions aren't terribly important, so they are just skill checks. If you want players to have tense negotiations, or be constantly talking themselves out of (or into) trouble, you want something more akin to a social combat system, where social skills function more similarly to combats.