PDA

View Full Version : Cool Character Concept

Snowbluff
2012-02-07, 06:14 PM
Metus stepped into the control, alone, and ignoring the pestery Deadpool (Freedom of Movement is OP). His Necropolitan undead immunities gave him resistance to the radiation flooding the power plant, and he had one last chance to save the planet he loved.

He looked at the timer of the wall. It slowly ticked its last seconds.

Elsewhere, through the rift, Mint and Blake waited for their friend.

"You know he isn't coming back, right?" Blake said.

"He'll be back. I know he will." Mint looked back at the rift, and it closed. She couldn't hold back her tears.

I AM DEAD. Metus, my Avatar, was blown up in a planet-destroying nuclear meltdown. I need a new one. I am starting at level one after dying as a level eleven.

Do you guys have any cool character concepts? I am kind of at a loss, as I already did a warlock and I got a cool Wild Shaper Ranger going on.

Paragon468
2012-02-07, 06:55 PM
One can never go wrong with a Bard! Okay, well that's not true at all, but whatever...

nedz
2012-02-07, 06:58 PM
Help us out with some hints please: or you'll just get suggestions involving Commoners and Baskets. What sort of character do you want ?

NOhara24
2012-02-07, 07:03 PM
Commoners and Baskets.

Druids and Baskets.

Commoners and Chickens.

One level of commoner and the rest Druid. Combine baskets and chickens for maximum effect.

Dread Necromancer & Commoner, command an army of undead chickens.

Etc, Etc.

SamBurke
2012-02-07, 07:11 PM
I'd go with something thematically interesting, personally... what stories attract you?

For me, I play paladins. It's either a paladin, or a paladin-y cleric. Or, perhaps, a wizard with a strong conviction towards right when it comes down to things. If not that, it's a dedicated and strong hearted warrior who fights for a cause. A scientist who wants to save people through his science. It's ALWAYS the same character, to some extent, at a basic point.

Now, of course, you want to avoid becoming a cliche to yourself: my characters are only restricted by action choice: they're always the good guys, and they always have a fairly heroic set of motives. How they get there varies; I'd play a rebel as easily as a judge. The question is what you'd play, and what defines all of your characters.

Do you want every character to be incredibly powerful, able to deal with your DM easily? Do you want an emo person, someone who always has reams of backstory? Does your preference tend towards casters, or studious people, or snarkers?

Find what that thing is, and catch onto it. Know that as a starting place, and move from there. Let's say you like a snarky person: well, design a snarky person. OR, alternately, realize that that can be placed into almost any character sheet with ease (yes, even a Snarky Paladin works.).

Recommendations for characters:
(PF Summoner): James, a young boy whose father was murdered, is haunted by a ghost for most of his life, until he turns 12. Then, he realizes that this ghost IS his father, who's been watching over him. Whenever in danger, his father instantly protects the boy.

(Swordsage): Varganar. He's an orc who's got a vendetta: his parents were killed by humans, so he's going to kill every human, every, last, one. (The point of this is to point out that if a human killed your family, you kill the human, if an orc did it, you kill all orcs everywhere.)

Humorous Builds, like Bearington or Wasy the Orbital Basket Bombadier, also work.

Snowbluff
2012-02-07, 07:12 PM
One can never go wrong with a Bard! Okay, well that's not true at all, but whatever...

My warlock is also a bard :O

Help us out with some hints please: or you'll just get suggestions involving Commoners and Baskets. What sort of character do you want ?

Uhhh... I've been thinking about doing something with a beguiler and and/or using versatile spellcaster so I can contribute to the party.

Druids and Baskets.

Commoners and Chickens.

One level of commoner and the rest Druid. Combine baskets and chickens for maximum effect.

Dread Necromancer & Commoner, command an army of undead chickens.

Etc, Etc.

I'll take ranks in basketweaving if you guys come up with something AWESOME! :smallbiggrin:

gkathellar
2012-02-07, 07:20 PM
Your DM is seriously making you start 10 levels behind the rest of the party? That seems ... profoundly unfair.

Fundamental question: are you looking for a caster or a melee monster or something in between? What's your desired play-style?

Secondary question: What's the rest of the group look like?

Tertiary question: What's your group's approximate optimization threshold?

Uhhh... I've been thinking about doing something with a beguiler and and/or using versatile spellcaster so I can contribute to the party.

You could always use the Elven Generalist + Domain Wizard trick to get 1st-9th level spell slots, if you can find the specifics for it. Shortly thereafter you'll need a third character, though.

Snowbluff
2012-02-07, 07:33 PM
Your DM is seriously making you start 10 levels behind the rest of the party? That seems ... profoundly unfair.

Fundamental question: are you looking for a caster or a melee monster or something in between? What's your desired play-style?

Secondary question: What's the rest of the group look like?

Tertiary question: What's your group's approximate optimization threshold?

You could always use the Elven Generalist + Domain Wizard trick to get 1st-9th level spell slots, if you can find the specifics for it. Shortly thereafter you'll need a third character, though.

Profoundly unfair is what I did to him. Being immune to just about anything (Human Heritage Necropolitan) with DR (Visage of the deity, various CoDzilla buffs). I got a cool death, made the SO monk cry. I feel good.

I'm thinking a litlle bit of Gishing. I heard beguiler gish isn't so great, but being crazy OP like I was way too much. I'll be taking suggestions of all optimization levels, since knowing would be interesting and I could dumb it down. The trick would be using spells to contribute as I level.

Wizard would be OP though.

Snowbluff
2012-02-07, 07:43 PM
I'd go with something thematically interesting, personally... what stories attract you?

For me, I play paladins. It's either a paladin, or a paladin-y cleric. Or, perhaps, a wizard with a strong conviction towards right when it comes down to things. If not that, it's a dedicated and strong hearted warrior who fights for a cause. A scientist who wants to save people through his science. It's ALWAYS the same character, to some extent, at a basic point.

Now, of course, you want to avoid becoming a cliche to yourself: my characters are only restricted by action choice: they're always the good guys, and they always have a fairly heroic set of motives. How they get there varies; I'd play a rebel as easily as a judge. The question is what you'd play, and what defines all of your characters.

Do you want every character to be incredibly powerful, able to deal with your DM easily? Do you want an emo person, someone who always has reams of backstory? Does your preference tend towards casters, or studious people, or snarkers?

Find what that thing is, and catch onto it. Know that as a starting place, and move from there. Let's say you like a snarky person: well, design a snarky person. OR, alternately, realize that that can be placed into almost any character sheet with ease (yes, even a Snarky Paladin works.).

Recommendations for characters:
(PF Summoner): James, a young boy whose father was murdered, is haunted by a ghost for most of his life, until he turns 12. Then, he realizes that this ghost IS his father, who's been watching over him. Whenever in danger, his father instantly protects the boy.

(Swordsage): Varganar. He's an orc who's got a vendetta: his parents were killed by humans, so he's going to kill every human, every, last, one. (The point of this is to point out that if a human killed your family, you kill the human, if an orc did it, you kill all orcs everywhere.)

Humorous Builds, like Bearington or Wasy the Orbital Basket Bombadier, also work.

Metus was "Super" Evil. He had a Belkar+Roy-esque relationship with the Leader WB/EB (who wasn't here for my death), and was warming up to the monk, but died before he could get to own up to his real feelings. I am now reincarnated as a squire in the not-blown-up world. Being angsty wouldn't work cuz Metus was a self-righteous murdery snarkmaster.

I am thinking about playing a legitimately nice person, but who isn't over portcetive like my orphan broken-bird angsty vengeful 4e paladin.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-02-07, 07:45 PM
Beguiler/crusader/spellsword/swiftblade? I'd recommend taking the crusader level first for more low-level durability, although taking it later for a higher IL is also good...

Ravens_cry
2012-02-07, 07:58 PM
A Raven familiar is transformed into a halfling while his Master is turned into a a none sentient riding dog by an evil mage.
Now he must avenge Master while figuring out how to use these new things called 'hands' and learn to cope without flight.
A kindly hearted necromancer who animates dead as servants of the greater good. He keeps one skeleton in particular under special care, always healing it and making sure it's not destroyed, that he calls "Steve".
Steve was the murderer who killed his family, this eternal service is the necromancers revenge.
A human child was killed by bandits. but was reincarnated into an adult halfling. They still think of themselves as a child, with all a childes whims, but find themselves gifted with a sorcerers talents, powers to make anyone their good friend.

Snowbluff
2012-02-07, 07:59 PM
Beguiler/crusader/spellsword/swiftblade? I'd recommend taking the crusader level first for more low-level durability, although taking it later for a higher IL is also good...

Why spell sword? Beguiler already have armored mage and have enough abjurations for Abjurant Champ, and JPM would fit better their for the Crusader synergy. Sitll pretty sweet tho.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-02-07, 08:25 PM
Why spell sword? Beguiler already have armored mage and have enough abjurations for Abjurant Champ, and JPM would fit better their for the Crusader synergy. Sitll pretty sweet tho.

It's still +1 beguiler level with better BAB and hit points.

Snowbluff
2012-02-07, 08:28 PM
Well, I stuff it in for my 5th BaB point. :D

Feralventas
2012-02-07, 08:41 PM
Starting out as a warblade with a penchant for study of history as well as martial lore, stumble onto some old tomes of a kind of forgotten magic.

Warblade 5 with the feat from the Tome of Magic to treat Truespeaking as a class skill, dip into Truenamer for a level, use it as the casting class to progress as an abjurant champion or Jade Phoenix Mage.. From what you've said, you know how to game the system well enough to make your skill-check for your temporary buffs and occasional utilities and focus on Concentration for the Diamond Mind school and for your combat casting checks.

Result, your 'casting capacity is meek, situational, and catered to your needs, but can still be made viable by being cautious about your use of it and by focusing on checks you know (yourself and your team-mates) rather than the unknowns (targeted and offensive truespeech is rather difficult to pull off). Meanwhile, your primary combative capacity is maintained through Insightful Strike and other combative maneuvers, and Truspeech isn't inhibited by armor so no ASF.

Character-wise, the individual will be studious, quiet (unless shouting at things) and very narrow-minded in their persuit of knowledge reguardless of how forbidden it might be (perhaps perusing the Bereft PrC for a while if you care for it.)

gkathellar
2012-02-07, 08:50 PM
If you really want to Gish it up, you have the option of running the JPM-Idiot Crusader (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=8218.msg274420#msg274420). Fun to play, quite strong but not really overpowered, and blessed with 8th-level casting in in an arcane class of your choice (wizard is standard, but Duskblade is preferable in my humble opinion).

Snowbluff
2012-02-07, 09:38 PM
Starting out as a warblade with a penchant for study of history as well as martial lore, stumble onto some old tomes of a kind of forgotten magic.

Warblade 5 with the feat from the Tome of Magic to treat Truespeaking as a class skill, dip into Truenamer for a level, use it as the casting class to progress as an abjurant champion or Jade Phoenix Mage.. From what you've said, you know how to game the system well enough to make your skill-check for your temporary buffs and occasional utilities and focus on Concentration for the Diamond Mind school and for your combat casting checks.

Result, your 'casting capacity is meek, situational, and catered to your needs, but can still be made viable by being cautious about your use of it and by focusing on checks you know (yourself and your team-mates) rather than the unknowns (targeted and offensive truespeech is rather difficult to pull off). Meanwhile, your primary combative capacity is maintained through Insightful Strike and other combative maneuvers, and Truspeech isn't inhibited by armor so no ASF.

Character-wise, the individual will be studious, quiet (unless shouting at things) and very narrow-minded in their persuit of knowledge reguardless of how forbidden it might be (perhaps perusing the Bereft PrC for a while if you care for it.)

That's very flattering. Someone telling me I am not a noob. :D

I have to try this sometime, but the DM does send some legitimate challenges at us. Flavor-wise, this is gold. Maybe I can get the DM to let me Gestalt Truenamer for free...

If you really want to Gish it up, you have the option of running the JPM-Idiot Crusader (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=8218.msg274420#msg274420). Fun to play, quite strong but not really overpowered, and blessed with 8th-level casting in in an arcane class of your choice (wizard is standard, but Duskblade is preferable in my humble opinion).

Metus was a Warblade/Swordsage/IdiotCrusader/Urpriest/RKV. It's almost why the DM killed me.