PDA

View Full Version : Swim speed

Mclane
2012-02-07, 08:08 PM
Anyone know how to get a swim speed? I have a way to get water breathing, but I still need a swim speed. Anyone know how I can get one? Items, feats, etc. but not spells please.

Ernir
2012-02-07, 08:31 PM
Anyone know how to get a swim speed? I have a way to get water breathing, but I still need a swim speed. Anyone know how I can get one? Items, feats, etc. but not spells please.

Lists of stuff (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871954/Lists_of_Stuff) has a sizable list devoted to swim speed.

Keld Denar
2012-02-07, 08:32 PM
There is a feat in Lords of Madness, IIRC, something about Waterspawn, that gives a swim speed (along with the +8 racial swim bonus/take 10 features that having a swim speed grants). It requires Aberrant Blood and one other Aberrant feat, but it also grants Cold Resistance 5 and Water Breathing.

ericgrau
2012-02-07, 08:39 PM
DMG: pearl of sirines, cloak of the manta ray
MiC: crystal of aquatic action, finned gauntlets
I'd go for the gauntlets. If you're certain it's for salt water only, get the cloak. If you're on a tight budget use the crystal. If money is no issue the pearl is the fanciest option.

Venger
2012-02-09, 12:51 PM
you could always take the "aquatic" version of your race if you're using one of the default PHB ones. the LA's 0 as long as you're not in a wholly aquatic campaign. once you've got that, apply the amphibious template from stormwrack, it's LA 0, so you're done.

Igneel
2012-02-09, 01:20 PM
A dip into either Warlock or Dragonfire Adept both gets you the access to Swimming the Styx [Warlock]/Aquatic Adaptation [Dragonfire Adept] invocations.

Aquatic+Amphibious is an easy entry with only really a -2 Dex if I recall to worry about.

Person_Man
2012-02-09, 01:51 PM
Yeah, I would definitely go with one of the cheap magic items or aquatic variant races. If you're feeling wasteful, you can spend a Feat on Shape Soulmeld (Kraken Mantle) to get an all day Swim speed that improves with Essentia investment (or just play a Totemist). But I wouldn't bother with it.