PDA

View Full Version : A Good Forgotten Realms Module for Beginners

ORione
2012-02-07, 08:37 PM
I'm looking for the title.

You see, I became interested in Dungeons and Dragons awhile ago. I talked about it to some friends, and now they're interested. But we haven't done much playing yet. We want to start.

We're all equally inexperienced. I'm the only one who has any interest in DMing.

I think it would be easiest for me to begin with a published adventure, rather than creating one of my own. I think I want to use the Forgotten Realms setting. It will be a 3.0/3.5 hybrid. Our core books are 3.0, but I houserule things towards 3.5 (You're playing a bard? Give yourself six skill points per level instead of four. Sure, your sorcerer can have Bluff as a class skill).

Books I have available to me:
The three core books
Forgotten Realms campaign setting
The Psionics Handbook
Complete Arcane
Complete Adventurer
The Book of Exalted Deeds
The Bpok of Vile Darkness
Savage Species

If any suggestions require me to get a book or books that I can get for a total of less than about $30, that is fine.

About the players:
First of all, we're just starting to learn about optimization. "I'm going to give my fighter Endurance." "I think Weapon Focus would be a more powerful choice, but it's your character."

There are two players. Since there's only two, I'm thinking about letting them each play two characters.

They're more interested in combat than roleplaying, but they do want to roleplay as well.

One of them if fascinated by magic. He'll probably play a sorcerer, and maybe a paladin or a warmage. I'm pretty sure that both of his characters will be Chaotic, unless he plays a paladin.

The other one finds magic a bit too complicated. He does like bards, though. He'll probably play one. His other character will likely be a rogue, fighter, or barbarian.

So, thoughts? Questions?

Saintheart
2012-02-07, 09:27 PM
Sons of Gruumsh?

That's directly made for the Realms and IIRC it's a low-level adventure. Might be what you're looking for.

Rethmar
2012-02-07, 09:34 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dungeons_%26_Dragons_adventures

List of campaigns for 3rd edition.

Sunless Citadel could be good, but I don't think it is set in Forgotten Realms.

Expedition to Undermountain is set in Forgotten Realms. Could be fun too, but it goes from levels 1 to 10; not sure if you wanted a shorter adventure.

Mo_the_Hawked
2012-02-07, 10:17 PM
I would second Sons Of Gruumsh, its a 4th level adventure set in the Northern Moonsea, Melvaunt I believe. Its a cold nasty port city with a stong trade practice. The adventure takes place in the Thar. A large moor north of the city.

It's fair to non-optimizers, no part is to difficult for any style of character. Over all the adventure has that nice balance of granduer and plausibility.

Another option is the book Mysteries of the Moonsea, a series of interconnected adventures going from first level to twenty.

Mo_the_Hawked
2012-02-07, 10:19 PM
Posting goof up.

Diarmuid
2012-02-08, 09:59 AM
I think Sunless Citadel is a very very good beginner module and with a small amount of Fluff changes it could easily be placed in many different places in the realms.

ORione
2012-02-08, 02:47 PM
Thanks for the advice, everyone.

I'm looking at Sunless Citadel, and it seems perfect. I think I'll go with that.

I might also try Sons of Gruumsh. According to many of the reviews for it on Amazon, the frequency of encounters makes it challenging for the levels it's made for, and a cleric in the party is a must-have. Neither of the players are particularly interested in playing a cleric. Are the reviewers' concerns warranted? Would it help if the PC's levels were higher?

Thanks.