PDA

View Full Version : New Laptop Keeps Going to Sleep

Lord Blace
2012-02-07, 09:25 PM
I recently obtained an ASUS Republic of Gamers G53SX-AH71 and it keeps going to "sleep" randomly. I tried messing with the power settings, I've googled, and I can't seem to come up with a reason or solution to this problem. Please help me Obi-forumites Kenobi, you're my only hope!

Grinner
2012-02-07, 09:36 PM
Have you looked at the BIOS yet? There might be a setting in there.

Lord Blace
2012-02-07, 10:01 PM
None that I could see. =/

Edit: Could a date conflict with the BIOS settings cause this kind of thing to happen? I fixed it, and it hasn't happened again yet. Though, it's only been about half an hour. -Crosses fingers.-

Edit Edit: Ok, reverse that, it could be the monitor. I have it currently hooked up to my tv with an hdmi cable, but the actual monitor will flash every once and a while. :smallsigh:

Is there any way to fix it? Should I take it to a shop or something? Should I give up and try to get my money back? :smallfrown:

Eloel
2012-02-08, 05:30 AM
There's a easy-to-push sleep button on that iirc. Are you sure you're not mistakenly pressing that? I used to do that often enough...

KuReshtin
2012-02-08, 08:42 AM
Yeah, like Eloel says, there's usually a breaker switch that puts the machine in sleep mode when you close the screen on the computer.
If you haven't set that in the power saver mode not to go to sleep when closing the lid, and the switch isn't mounted exactly right, it could cause a short circuit every now and then that wants to put the machine in sleep mode.
It would be something that you could take it back to the shop or contact the manufacturer to have a look at.

If you don't feel like taking it back, you could also disable the option to sleep in the power settings.
Check the power settings for the option of what happens when closing the lid, and set it to 'Do nothing'.
That should sort the problem.

However, if you do, make sure that you don't forget about it if you do close the lid and carry the laptop around, as it'll just stay on, and the battery will run out.

Lord Blace
2012-02-08, 03:34 PM
Ok, I changed the lid settings to do nothing when closed, but the screen still flashes black sporadically. Sometimes in frequencies of less than 10 seconds.

Edit: It did solve the sleeping bit though! Thanks!

Hattish Thing
2012-02-09, 12:51 AM
Yay! It appears I am too late to help though.....:redface:

Lord Blace
2012-02-09, 02:09 AM
Any advice on the screen flashing though? Or it there just nothing to be done about that?

Karen Lynn
2012-02-09, 02:20 AM
Being an owner of a G74sx, I would highly suggest going to nVidia's site and making sure to download the updated Verde drivers(if you have the gtx 560m, I'd suggest 290.7 Verde beta drivers). Make sure to check your BIOS as well, and update if one is available. It helps.

I say the Verde Driver because those are optimized for the mobile platform.

Lord Blace
2012-02-09, 02:56 AM
Being an owner of a G74sx, I would highly suggest going to nVidia's site and making sure to download the updated Verde drivers(if you have the gtx 560m, I'd suggest 290.7 Verde beta drivers). Make sure to check your BIOS as well, and update if one is available. It helps.

I say the Verde Driver because those are optimized for the mobile platform.

Tried downloading the latest beta one and it said it wasn't compatible. D:

Edit: Nevermind, I'm an idiot and tried to download the 32 bit version. :smalltongue:

Edit Edit: Aaaaand it hasn't helped. I'm still getting the flashing. :smallsigh: