PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Synthesist Gestalt Advice

PsionicFox
2012-02-08, 03:59 AM
So I've got a chance to be part of a Pathfinder gestalt game, and I've been catching up on my Naruto manga. Now, before you throw things at me for still reading it, it gave me an idea.

I had the idea to run a Summoner (Synthesist)//Monk (Master of Many Styles).

I figure a self-buffing Monk was a good idea, and the ability to gain bonus HP and armor from the synthesist was a good synergy.

I just wanted to get some advice/suggestions on build (race, feats, etc), preferably keeping what I have so far.

Before racial adjustments, I have five scores at 15, and one score at 18.

Have at it!

Krazzman
2012-02-08, 05:20 AM
Why should we throw things, it's good, read on.

What races do you want? What Level do you start/reach?
Can you switch from MoMS to other Archetypes?

Now the good thing is this is a real good combination.

Either you Put the 18 in Cha or Wis. With Human base form the +2 goes to the 18. the 4th Level boost into a 15 of your Mental stats, same goes for level 8. Either making: 16 20 16, 16 16 20 or 16 18 18.

Eidolon base form: aquatic (if starting at 3+) bipedal at 1 or 2.
Evolutions: for Aquatic you'll need 2x limbs. Fly is superb, could let you drop 1x limbs. Else take what you like, Natural armor could be good.

IF you stay MoMS seek out the styles that you find most interesting.
If you go Hungry Ghost/Quingong switch out unwanted monk features (slow fall etc) for better goodies.

Don't know if you can use your unarmed strikes in Synthesist form but if not: take weapon of your choice. (Ask your DM if you can have a Quarterstaff as a two-handed weapon, not a two-weapon-fighting weapon) Either with a good crit chance (18-20, Hungry Ghost) or for style (MoMS).

Bhaakon
2012-02-08, 06:22 AM
The question of whether you can keep your unarmed strike, and the lack of synergy between monk's flurry and natural attacks makes monk/synthesist a bit problematic.

I can see it working well with a tetori monk, though. Easy access to huge size is great for grappling, you can get rake, constrict much earlier, swallow whole is fun (though not useful on anything but hapless mooks), and the natural attacks are more useful since you're not getting flurry anyway.

If you want a build, you'll need to give a level (at least).

Krazzman
2012-02-08, 06:26 AM
The question of whether you can keep your unarmed strike, and the lack of synergy between monk's flurry and natural attacks makes monk/synthesist a bit problematic.

I can see it working well with a tetori monk, though. Easy access to huge size is great for grappling, you can get rake, constrict much earlier, swallow whole is fun (though not useful on anything but hapless mooks), and the natural attacks are more useful since you're not getting flurry anyway.

If you want a build, you'll need to give a level (at least).

I thought MoMS switched their Flurry of Blows for something useful in return?

Mystify
2012-02-08, 06:30 AM
The flurry/Natural weapon incompatability is a problem... so don't use synthesis for natural weapons. There area ton of other abilities it can give you, and if you aren't sinking all your points into weapons, you can get a lot of them.

Or if you don't want flurry, you can use synthesis for attacks. Whichever.

Krazzman
2012-02-08, 06:38 AM
WOuld it be theoretically possible to take many many limbs (for arms) and add brass knuckles to them to swing the unarmed strike damage?

Mystify
2012-02-08, 06:53 AM
WOuld it be theoretically possible to take many many limbs (for arms) and add brass knuckles to them to swing the unarmed strike damage?

I think it should be.

Chained Birds
2012-02-08, 07:01 AM
I believe on the PFSRD, there is a feat that allows a monk to use unarmed strikes with their natural weapons. Too lazy to look it up at the moment, but it's there.

PsionicFox
2012-02-08, 07:12 AM
The character starts at 1st level.

And no, while I'm not required to be a master of many styles, I just really like the way they work. If I start as a human, I'll have my Monk Style, my 1st level feat, and a human feat, meaning I can get access to at least two style stances from level one.

And Feral Combat Training is the feat you were mentioning. It requires Weapon Focus (Natural weapon) and Improved Unarmed Strike.

So I could actually have it from level one.

Krazzman
2012-02-08, 07:14 AM
I think it should be.

I believe on the PFSRD, there is a feat that allows a monk to use unarmed strikes with their natural weapons. Too lazy to look it up at the moment, but it's there.

I think I just had a nerdgasm...
Sadly we never play Gestalt :(

Ashura Monk - Style!

PsionicFox
2012-02-08, 07:18 AM
I think I just had a nerdgasm...

Me too!

The character is goind to be so damn awesome.

PsionicFox
2012-02-08, 08:19 AM
I'm wondering if I'd be better off keeping Flurry to take advantage of my natural weapon attacks through Synthesist.

Thoughts?

Chained Birds
2012-02-08, 02:33 PM
Qinggong + Hungry Ghost Monk Archetypes let you keep Flurry and is arguably the best combo for a melee focused monk.

Flurry will eventually hit better than you could normally with the whole BAB = Monk level, so I'd suggest keeping it. And running more than 1 style can be a chore on your feats.
Just choose 1 style (if you want), and use other feats that would work well with it; or simply take the style for its benefits alone and then do your own thing.

Maybe get Power Attack too. It's a fine feat.

PsionicFox
2012-02-08, 03:24 PM
Righto.

Overnight I was wondering about the benefits of using the Quadraped base form.

Since I can take the Pounce evolution right out of the gate, and that form starts with a 40ft base speed, I'd be able to take advantage of all manner of shenanigans with Pounce.

By level 6 I could charge 120ft and attack three times. That's pretty amazing!