PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here familiar with Glasgow?

fergo
2012-02-08, 06:52 AM
Hey all.

This weekend me and a couple of friends (plus my brother :smallannoyed:*) are heading up to Glasgow to see one of my favourite bands, Dropkick Murphys.

We were thinking of heading up a bit early and having a wee look around the city and visiting a few pubs. We also need somewhere safe to park, bearing in mind that we may not get back to the car until after midnight (we're going to get loooost...).

The gig is in the Barrowlands. Trouble is, I texted a friend I know in Glasgow to see if he could suggest any pubs around that area, but he replied saying that that part of town is quite rough :smallconfused: (and for a Glasweigan to describe an area as quite rough, I have been lead to believe, it in all likelihood has to be constantly on fire or something :smalltongue:).

So, I thought I'd ask on here for anyone with any familiarity with the great and noble city of Glasgow to point us in the direction of somewhere to have a quick couple of drinks before the show, plus somewhere to park, and anything else we should know :smallredface:.

Thank'ee for any responses.

*:smallwink:

Tyndmyr
2012-02-08, 10:57 AM
I realize this is not at all helpful, but I've gotta say....fantastic band choice, sir.

I see them every year at Shamrock Fest. That said...Glasgow ain't got crap on DC for "rough parts", and I gleefully wandered around there with a number of intoxicated folks, so I wouldn't worry about it overly much. :smallsmile:

KuReshtin
2012-02-08, 03:47 PM
As for parking, you should be ok parking near St Enoch's Gallery as it's only about a 5 minute (10 at most) to the Barrowlands from there. That's also pretty central to town, so isn't too bad.

Pubs? The place is crawling with pubs. Just don't start talking about football, even jokingly, without knowing exactly what type of pub you're in. if you happen to go into a rangers' pub and start talking about Celtic, you will be in for a world of trouble.

Mikhailangelo
2012-02-08, 04:08 PM
If you're going to park in St. Enoch, there is a great pub, called Blackfriars, in the Merchant City - It's really not all that far from the shopping centre, just down Argyll street and to the left at... Some point.

Another fantastic place to go is the Bierhalle, on Gordon Street, just head up Buchanan Street and take a left at the conveniently parked TARDIS outside TGI Fridays.

Serpentine
2012-02-08, 04:16 PM
I'm not in Glasgow, but I am vaguely in the area and in need of activities to get me out of the house and actually doing stuff, hint hint...

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2012-02-08, 04:57 PM
Lucky. Their show here later this month got sold out before I could get tickets. :smallsigh:

fergo
2012-02-08, 05:54 PM
I realize this is not at all helpful, but I've gotta say....fantastic band choice, sir.

I see them every year at Shamrock Fest. That said...Glasgow ain't got crap on DC for "rough parts", and I gleefully wandered around there with a number of intoxicated folks, so I wouldn't worry about it overly much. :smallsmile:

I've never seen them before. After I see them, I'll have officially seen all of my favourite bands live :smallbiggrin: (Iron Maiden, Saxon, the Pogues, Rise Against... [edit] Forgot the amazing Eluveitie, even though they have an album coming out in a matter if days, and Show of Hands :smallwink:).

As for parking, you should be ok parking near St Enoch's Gallery as it's only about a 5 minute (10 at most) to the Barrowlands from there. That's also pretty central to town, so isn't too bad.

Sounds good, although I think the driver may want to find an NPC or something like it, so we'll follow what he says (especially since we all feel bad. He can't drink because he's on painkillers :smallamused:).

Pubs? The place is crawling with pubs. Just don't start talking about football, even jokingly, without knowing exactly what type of pub you're in. if you happen to go into a rangers' pub and start talking about Celtic, you will be in for a world of trouble.

Don't worry, we're already well aware of that :smalleek:. Although nonetheless Glasgow may not be the safest place for someone with an Irish name and an English accent... :smalltongue:. I'm sure we'll be fine, we won't be drinking enough to get into trouble.

If you're going to park in St. Enoch, there is a great pub, called Blackfriars, in the Merchant City - It's really not all that far from the shopping centre, just down Argyll street and to the left at... Some point.

Another fantastic place to go is the Bierhalle, on Gordon Street, just head up Buchanan Street and take a left at the conveniently parked TARDIS outside TGI Fridays.

Sounds good, we'll keep our eyes open :smallbiggrin:.

I'm not in Glasgow, but I am vaguely in the area and in need of activities to get me out of the house and actually doing stuff, hint hint...

Fan of DKM? :smalltongue:

Lucky. Their show here later this month got sold out before I could get tickets. :smallsigh:

:smallannoyed: That sucks. Where abouts were you going to see them?

Thanks for all the advice and comments people :smallcool:.

P.S. Also thanks to the magical wonders of the multi-quote button :smallwink:.

Serpentine
2012-02-08, 05:58 PM
Fan of DKM? :smalltongue:I think so (although I can never connect bands to songs). Doubt I could afford to go, though. Buuuuut, I'm close enough that I could, say, go into Glasgow, hang around and then go home again in the evening...

KuReshtin
2012-02-08, 06:10 PM
Sounds good, although I think the driver may want to find an NPC or something like it, so we'll follow what he says (especially since we all feel bad. He can't drink because he's on painkillers :smallamused:).

There an NCP car park just off Argyle Street, which is another couple of minutes away from the St Enoch's car park.
According to Google Maps it is about a mile to walk, so about 15-20 minutes depending on how fast you walk.
Also, that car park is just next to Diamond Dolls, which is a club for 'gentlemen's viewing pleasures' if that is something you'd fancy after the concert..

Google Maps link with Directions (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Mitchell+St&daddr=Barrowland+Ballroom+Concert+Hall,+Glasgow&hl=en&sll=55.857491,-4.247031&sspn=0.010044,0.033023&geocode=FVxYVAMdjQ-__w%3BFfxHVAMdDVq__ymD_kSbpUaISDGNQCvJdrSRyg&oq=barrowland&dirflg=w&mra=dme&mrsp=0&sz=16&t=h&z=16)

fergo
2012-02-08, 06:13 PM
There an NCP car park just off Argyle Street, which is another couple of minutes away from the St Enoch's car park.
According to Google Maps it is about a mile to walk, so about 15-20 minutes depending on how fast you walk.
Also, that car park is just next to Diamond Dolls, which is a club for 'gentlemen's viewing pleasures' if that is something you'd fancy after the concert..

Thank you kindly, they looks perfect :smallbiggrin:.

fergo
2012-02-08, 06:14 PM
Just saw the blanked-out bit when looking at my post :smalleek:.

:smallwink:

[edit] Sorry about the double-post :smallredface:.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2012-02-08, 06:22 PM
:smallannoyed: That sucks. Where abouts were you going to see them?

They're playing Toronto on the 22nd of this month, but I'm in a play-contest thing that's on that date, and I asked our teacher if she could ask if we could go first.
Only after a month and a half of us bugging her to ask, she only asks, y'know, AFTER all the tickets are sold out.

Just saw the blanked-out bit when looking at my post :smalleek:.

:smallwink:

There's also the edit button right next to your post. :smallwink: So y'don't have to double-post.

fergo
2012-02-11, 07:42 AM
We're setting off to Glasgow soon. Very excited :smallbiggrin:. Thanks for all the help.

Grinner
2012-02-11, 07:58 AM
I think so (although I can never connect bands to songs). Doubt I could afford to go, though. Buuuuut, I'm close enough that I could, say, go into Glasgow, hang around and then go home again in the evening...

The Dropkick Murphys (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-64CaD8GXw)

@fergo: If you like DKM, you might want to listen to these guys (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RI2Vmc-fjE) sometime.