PDA

View Full Version : Help please please please

psepheroth
2012-02-08, 09:05 AM
Hello all,
I know giantitp have good and active members.
I registered giantitp almost a year ago.
And until today, I wasn't able to play d&d 3.5 or the basics.
Uhm, I would like to ask a favor please.
(bowed down)
Please train me. I need someone who could do 1 on 1 walkthrough with me.
Please?
(continued to bow down. Pleading)

KuReshtin
2012-02-08, 09:09 AM
not to sound like a downer or something, but didn't you just post another thread asking for the exact same thing and got a bunch of replies to that?

I'd personally direct you to the gaming sub-forums as there's always people there who would be happy to help.

Or just keep asking in the thread you just created a while ago.

psepheroth
2012-02-08, 09:12 AM
Yes, I posted almost a year ago. But what they suggest is to keep me reading the rules.
It makes me board and stop reading.
Now I'm back hoping somebody would guide me.

KuReshtin
2012-02-08, 09:14 AM
Yeah, just noticed that it was posted in June..
The best way to learn is by doing.

Find your local gaming shop. Ask if there are any games being run.
Ask if they have open spots for newcomers.
join.
Ask questions as you go along.

You will have to read the rules of the games systems that you want to play. it's part of the process.
Unless you have a really good Gm who will set things out for everyone.

psepheroth
2012-02-08, 09:16 AM
Uhm..I know reading is good.
But I guess what makes me hot is the actual 1 on 1 actual role play.
I hope someone can accommodate, even if it was a sample game play.

The Succubus
2012-02-08, 09:19 AM
The problem is that, for me at least, D&D 3.5 is horrifically complicated even *AFTER* reading the rules. I really would echo Ku's sentiments and read at least the Player's Handbook or d20srd.org so you at least have a vague idea of what's going on.

psepheroth
2012-02-08, 09:21 AM
The problem is that, for me at least, D&D 3.5 is horrifically complicated even *AFTER* reading the rules. I really would echo Ku's sentiments and read at least the Player's Handbook or d20srd.org so you at least have a vague idea of what's going on.

What can you suggest for a beginner like me?

Asta Kask
2012-02-08, 09:22 AM
Read the Player's Handbook.

Vella_Malachite
2012-02-08, 09:23 AM
I'd agree to the suggestion of going to a local game store (or Googling a local gaming group) and asking to join. People will generally be willing to teach you, and the game is much easier to learn by doing. I've never been able to learn by reading the rules. I'm not sure how you're going to do with 1-on-1 either; you won't always be able to explain everything like that. Best way is to sit down and start playing with a group - dive in the deep end, as they say.

psepheroth
2012-02-08, 09:25 AM
Read the Player's Handbook.

No. What I mean is, if 3.5 is too confusing/difficult, what would be best for me as beginner?

psepheroth
2012-02-08, 09:26 AM
I'd agree to the suggestion of going to a local game store (or Googling a local gaming group) and asking to join. People will generally be willing to teach you, and the game is much easier to learn by doing. I've never been able to learn by reading the rules. I'm not sure how you're going to do with 1-on-1 either; you won't always be able to explain everything like that. Best way is to sit down and start playing with a group - dive in the deep end, as they say.

Uhm...thanks.
But isn't there any training here for me in giantitp?

Asta Kask
2012-02-08, 09:50 AM
No. What I mean is, if 3.5 is too confusing/difficult, what would be best for me as beginner?

GURPS Lite? It's free. (http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/lite/) Then comes the difficult part... find other GURPS players.

KuReshtin
2012-02-08, 09:50 AM
Uhm...thanks.
But isn't there any training here for me in giantitp?

Getting information across through an internet forum is always going to be difficult, and it will take additional time.
If you ask a question online, it may take hours, days, weeks before you get an answer, whereas if you're doing it face-to-face in a group, you'll have the answer right then and there.

Think of it as if you were to come on here and ask someone to teach you how to play the guitar, but you don't have access to a webcam or videolink, so all the teaching will have to be by post.
The person trying to teach you wouldn't have any idea how the chords your strike sounds, and it would be very difficult, if not impossible to do it.

Role playing games are kind of like that. Especially if you're saying you're unwilling to read the rule books, which is the distinct feeling I keep getting from your posts.

Everyone's been a beginner at some point, so don't worry about 'öooking silly' if you go along to a gaming group and ask to join, even if you've never played before.
And most people will welcome you and give you advice on how to play and what you need to learn.

No matter how good these forums are for stuff, they are no match for real face-to-face gaming time with real people.

razark
2012-02-08, 09:59 AM
But what they suggest is to keep me reading the rules.
It makes me board and stop reading.
Rule 1: Don't ask for tech support if you refuse to RTFM.

Serpentine
2012-02-08, 09:59 AM
The easiest way, I think, to start teaching someone the basics of D&D is to go through the character sheet with them and help them make a character from scratch, explaining all the concepts as you go ("this is where you put the base attack bonus. You find that here. You use that to..."). It's pretty much impossible to do that in anything other than a 1-on-1, real-world context.

psepheroth
2012-02-08, 10:00 AM
Yes. I understand.
I understand that I need face-to-face interaction.
The problem here is that D&D is very rare in our place.
That's why I was hoping if there are anyone here willing to give a one-on-one d&d here.
But if there is none, it's ok with me.

Serpentine
2012-02-08, 10:01 AM
You could look in the Play-by-Post section to see if anyone is running a beginners' game, or start a thread in there asking someone to run one.

The Succubus
2012-02-08, 10:02 AM
Rule 1: Don't ask for tech support if you refuse to RTFM.

Casting Summon XKCD strip: http://xkcd.com/293/

psepheroth
2012-02-08, 10:03 AM
The easiest way, I think, to start teaching someone the basics of D&D is to go through the character sheet with them and help them make a character from scratch, explaining all the concepts as you go ("this is where you put the base attack bonus. You find that here. You use that to..."). It's pretty much impossible to do that in anything other than a 1-on-1, real-world context.

Can you teach me please? One-on-One game/tutorial?

KuReshtin
2012-02-08, 10:04 AM
Yes. I understand.
I understand that I need face-to-face interaction.
The problem here is that D&D is very rare in our place.
That's why I was hoping if there are anyone here willing to give a one-on-one d&d here.
But if there is none, it's ok with me.

Have you been round to look for any gaming groups?
Have you checked a local stockist for Role Playing games?
Have you checked your local high school or university to see if they have gaming groups where you could join?

Also, DnD isn't really a one-on-one thing.
The whole concept of a role playing game is that there's a group of people interacting.

Also, as has been suggested before. If you go to the Role Playing sub-forums, they'd probably be in a better position to help you.

Serpentine
2012-02-08, 10:07 AM
Can you teach me please? One-on-One game/tutorial?Uuuuuh... Not really, sorry. I'm having enough trouble getting my real-world game going on here. Have a look in there, I know I've seen beginner games advertised there regularly.

psepheroth
2012-02-08, 10:09 AM
Also, as has been suggested before. If you go to the Role Playing sub-forums, they'd probably be in a better position to help you.

I'm sorry for being so amateur.
But can you guide me a link to a suitable sub-forums for me?
Thanks for the patience.

Viera Champion
2012-02-08, 10:11 AM
Go here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51).

psepheroth
2012-02-08, 10:17 AM
Go here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51).

Thanks Lil Shiro.
Hmmm...I've look at some links. Seems like they are not beginners. :-)
Gosh. I wonder if I can be accepted. *sigh* *abandoned shy new comer*
:smallsmile:

Serpentine
2012-02-08, 10:18 AM
Look over several pages. There will most likely be "beginner" or "newbies" or similar in the title. If you can't find one, start a thread asking for one.

psepheroth
2012-02-08, 10:21 AM
Look over several pages. There will most likely be "beginner" or "newbies" or similar in the title. If you can't find one, start a thread asking for one.

Thanks Serpentine.
I hope people here in giantitp can extend patience to a beginner like me.
Thanks all. I'll try looking.
*journey begins* *searching...*

psepheroth
2012-02-09, 09:49 AM
Hello all.
I've notice in the (IC) on going forum, there are prefixes like SAS, AVB, etc.
What does that mean?

psepheroth
2012-02-09, 10:09 AM
And also, what's a perception check?

dehro
2012-02-09, 10:27 AM
my level of D&D-fu is abismally low compared to the experience, knowledge and passion of most gamers here on the forum
if I may offer a scrap of criticism however, I think you're doing it wrong.
maybe it's something that doesn't filter well through the net and my perception is faulty, but it seems to me that you're really expecting someone to spoonfeed you their comprehensive knowledge about the game, it's workings and rules..and also do so in a way that makes it not boring for you.
someone already quoted rule 1.. it's true
if you are interested in the game, reading the player's manual (easy to come by, both IRL and on the interwebz) should not induce sleep or make you wander off and think of chasing butterflies, skirts or other such things.
if you're not..there's no amount of spoonfeeding that's going to make you understand the game.
the game is complicated to the point that even some of the most expert gamers and DMs still use manuals both during the games and when they research stuff for the game. you can't expect people to start an actual tutorial, if you come off as someone who doesn't seem ready to make an effort himself.

my tips? read one or two online forum based games..see if you can join in if there's a new one starting, browse through the sections of the forum dedicated to actual gaming and see if you can interact with the threads on it or at least ask questions about what is being debated.
the game starts by making up characters..most people have questions even then, because different DM allow for different rules, exceptions to them or manuals to be used as source material... in other words..you may come with the "stupidest" questions in creating the character..but you won't stand out all that much.
every phase of a game is guided by the dungeon master anyway..so it really is a process of learning as you go along.
and if you find someone who's really good at simplifying the game, let me know..I'm mistified half the time I try to read some of the threads in the gaming area.
P.S. from a purely structural point of view, it seems to me that the fourth edition is somewhat simpler to work with...but I've only read the manuals, not actually tried it yet..so..is this true?

psepheroth
2012-02-09, 10:32 AM
Ok. Ok. Ok
I won't ask anymore tutorials here.

Riverdance
2012-02-09, 07:18 PM
If you want to learn 3.5 the way to do it is find a very patient gamer to play with you in a game. For the first couple sessions the way it will mostly go is you will tell him/her what you want to do and they will show you how to do it. It can take a while to get going.

If you want a simpler system try old school hack (http://www.oldschoolhack.net/). It's a very simple but very fun system and free. Find 4 or 5 other players including one who will DM. It is rules light and easy to learn. I picked it up in about 20 minutes after just reading the text. It's also tends toward the goofy side of the roleplaying spectrum. Good Luck

Roland St. Jude
2012-02-09, 07:19 PM
Sheriff: Friendly banter is not really the subforum for this, and apparently the OP has been directed to the proper place to look. Thread locked.