PDA

View Full Version : Weirdly specific - help with nonlethal artificer?

Shazzbaa
2012-02-08, 01:48 PM
Hi guys!
So basically, I'm planning to play an artificer (:smalleek:) in what is a pretty strictly controlled and homebrewed world. One of those campaigns where the DM pretty much has to specifically approve and possibly tweak anything noncore... but this also means I can lobby for nonstandard stuff if it makes logical sense.

The character concept is some manner of construct (it will not be QUITE a warforged, DM still needs to work out stats for it... but similar idea) whose "programming" does not allow him to do lethal damage, ever. I'm paired with a barbarian-construct who is more than happy to do lethal damage all day long. So the vague plan was to be a Bufficer with perhaps some methods of frustrate/hinder/debuffing enemies rather than outright damaging them?

I think we're starting at 7th level, so I can make wands and such.

I'm trying to get a start on my inevitable artificer homework, so I more or less came to ask what would be like... must-have spells/wands/items/potions or oh-man-this-infusion-will-be-your-best-friend or any other advice that you guys' admirable experience can provide for this always-intimidating class combined with my strange self-imposed restriction. :smallsmile:

EXTRA COMPLICATION:
The DM has bandied about the idea of making this gestalt. If we do, I was considering monk as my second class because (a) for world-specific reasons, constructs just don't get to cast actual spells of any kind, (b) monks get the whole "can do nonlethal with no penalty" thing (c) it fit the character's flavour pretty well -- he's built to be a bodyguard and also creator of valuable magical stuff.
So I'm interested in any thoughts that bit of information brings as well!

Madcrafter
2012-02-08, 06:22 PM
When you say noncore, do you literally mean "not in core?" or more along the lines of no 3rd party/homebrew. That changes a bit what you might be able to do.

Also, the starting point for all required reading: Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5929.0)

Does your programming allow you to make other constructs that can do lethal damage? If so you can improve the effectiveness of you buffing by making a hybrid Bufficer/Minionficer. Dealing only nonleathal means you are likely not going to be going with the more traditional blastificer, though it would still be possible.
Regular weapons just need a merciful enchantment, or accuracy boosting ones to offset your -4 penalty. Monk is probably not the best choice for a second class, (though your options are limited if it is actually core-only), the standard swordsage, or something more obscure, like marshal would likely work better, depending on how you want the mechanics to work.

olentu
2012-02-08, 06:33 PM
Hmm, you could probably blast if you wanted to. You just have to get the nonlethal substitution metamagic approved.

Mystify
2012-02-08, 06:58 PM
nonlethal metamagic to apply to your own blasting. Merciful enchantment for your own weapon for smashing. Buffing is unaffected.

Madcrafter
2012-02-08, 07:32 PM
I had forgotten that subdual substitution used up the same level of spell. So by all means blastificing is actually still a valid route.

Shazzbaa
2012-02-08, 09:51 PM
Oooo, handbook link, thanks! I know I read part of this earlier but I should probably go back over it again.

And no, things that aren't in core or homebrewed things are fine to suggest, I just need to run everything by my DM. It's the kind of campaign where just because it exists in the rules doesn't mean it exists in the world if the DM doesn't like it. :smallsmile:

Nix on the minionficer; pretty sure me making things that do lethal damage is also out.

Subdual metamagic would definitely be worth looking into! And I'll have to remind myself what swordsage and marshal are like -- curious, any particular reason you picked those two?

Mystify
2012-02-08, 10:05 PM
Marshals are a powerful dip for charisma based characters. They get a minor aura at first level... which is their star feature. It adds your charisma to a certain thing, based on what you pick.
You can add it to charisma checks and charisma based skills(hello crazy good UMD)
You can add it to damage on a charge, or damage while flanking(potent party buff)
There are others.

Madcrafter
2012-02-08, 10:51 PM
I just figured better monk = swordsage, and the first nonmagical buffing class I thought of was marshal. There are others, some of which might work better.

I wouldn't necessarily go particularily heavy on the cha, unless you want to be the talky robot as well. For artificers I usually prefer wis, for extra infusions. Unless you are gestalting, with something cha, heavy, or might have trouble with your UMD checks.

Mystify
2012-02-08, 10:56 PM
I just figured better monk = swordsage, and the first nonmagical buffing class I thought of was marshal. There are others, some of which might work better.

I wouldn't necessarily go particularily heavy on the cha, unless you want to be the talky robot as well. For artificers I usually prefer wis, for extra infusions. Unless you are gestalting, with something cha, heavy, or might have trouble with your UMD checks.

The guide I read says that wisdom looks like the artificers primary stat, but charisma is much more important in practice, with wisdom secondary.

Madcrafter
2012-02-08, 11:57 PM
In play I always found the extra infusions far superior to an extra + or two to UMD. Skill checks are easy enough to boost when you need to, and by mid levels one shouldn't really have an issue with using their items.

Shazzbaa
2012-02-10, 04:08 AM
Oh dang, I actually quite like the look of Marshal. Might do that!

Okay, so on a more general note, I am noticing that the Unofficial Handbook does not actually have a lot of specific info for Bufficers (since they're "not usually a PC" pshhhh). I'm looking around for good buff things to make items out of -- are basically all the really good buffs divine? Are there any cool arcane buff things I'm missing beyond like, Bull's Str and the like?

Mystify
2012-02-10, 04:21 AM
Enlarge person
jump
protection from arrows
blur
spider climb
heroism
haste
stoneskin
greater invisibility
polymorph
greater heroism
protection from spells

some of them are also druid spells, but many are arcane only. And that is just core, there are a ton more in the spell compendeum. Clerics do not have a monopoly on good buff spells.