PDA

View Full Version : Turning Odin into Brodin

Rapidghoul
2012-02-08, 02:05 PM
Long story short, in a new campaign, the pantheons were mixed and mingled changing much of the belief structures and worshippers. Some good gods have gone evil, you have Greek gods with Egyptian gods with Norse gods all in the same pantheon, etc.

I wanted to have the character worship Odin, but since everything is changed around and the DM didn't have anything definitively set out yet for Odin, I wrote down "Brodin" as my deity. Now I'm working to flush out the concept so I can annoy the Paladin who refers to my Warforge as "Mr. Clanky Man."

So, playground, I ask you, what would a Lawful Neutral cross of Barney Stinson from How I Met Your Mother and Odin be like? I imagine having the ceremonial greeting being a fist bump or high five, high priests being referred to as "Bro", and the devout worshipers going out to uphold the Bro Code. Of course he would have good relations with Broseidon, God of the Brocean (http://media.steampowered.com/steamcommunity/public/images/avatars/bb/bb144b341663ef3d598853d6106d82faf4deba2b_full.jpg) . My creativity is somewhat lacking at the moment. What would you suggest?

DarkestKnight
2012-02-08, 02:25 PM
"Greatness be to Brodin, he who wrote the rules of Bro solidarity, he who keeps in his halls those Bros who fell so that there comrades could score that hot elven chick at the bar, he who at the end of days shall lead into battle the men of Brohan!"

My silliness aside, I'd see him as Barney with a PHD in everything. Odin is the god of knowledge and Barney is basically a bard without spellcasting which means he will be able to persuade people to tell him things. As a god, Brodin should put emphasis on keeping true to ones friends and getting into adventures with said friends that will earn you drinks at taverns.

gkathellar
2012-02-08, 02:38 PM
Odin is already basically this huge jerk —*you just need to make him ostentatious and completely stupid about the whole thing.

"Hey, bro, check out my sweet runes! I can mind-control chicks and blunt swords and whatever. Word."

Then add a cult that actually glorifies this awful behavior.

NOhara24
2012-02-08, 02:44 PM
Then add a cult that actually glorifies this awful behavior.

A fraternity. The OP's god is a fraternity president.

DarkestKnight
2012-02-08, 02:52 PM
Odin is already basically this huge jerk

Everyone in Norse sagas and myths are a jerk in one way or another.

LikeAD6
2012-02-08, 03:04 PM
The number 83 is sacred to Brodin. When you die and enter his domain, you will be rewarded with 83 virgins you can sleep with once and never have to call them afterward.

Otomodachi
2012-02-08, 03:15 PM
My two cents is that to model Barney Stinson you might want to aim for TN instead of LN. Semantics, sure, probably won't have a big effect on your play or anything, but Barney seems pretty capable of ditching the 'sacred bro code' when convenient, you know?

onemorelurker
2012-02-08, 03:20 PM
Clerics of Brodin cannot refuse to drink pints of Orc kragg presented to them by fellow clerics, and much status is conferred to those who can "Kragg" other clerics particularly creatively.

Coidzor
2012-02-08, 03:32 PM
Well, he could wander the world as a bro in need, and his followers are exhorted to be a bro to bros in need.

But, yeah, suiting up for legendary adventures should be a fair component.

Venusaur
2012-02-08, 03:42 PM
Required picture for this topic: Brolaf, king of Bromancia

http://gamershavennews.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Brolaf-Skin-1440x900-600x375.jpg

Okizruin
2012-02-08, 03:43 PM
Clerics of Brodin cannot refuse to drink pints of Orc kragg presented to them by fellow clerics, and much status is conferred to those who can "Kragg" other clerics particularly creatively.

Ah, but you can always "Kragg block"!

Namfuak
2012-02-08, 04:47 PM
Would his followers all be male? Or would there be "Fembros" who also worship him and help all the bros score at the tavern?

Calanon
2012-02-08, 05:20 PM
Wow this really made me consider abandoning the cult of flabort :smalleek: But then i remembered that he is an evil god and will have his slow creeping vengeance upon me... but in a way thats what i would do too :smalltongue:

OT: You can make a cult dedicated to Femrir who is one day destined to defeat Brodin at the party of ragnarok in a game of beer pong :smalltongue:

grarrrg
2012-02-08, 07:37 PM
Make sure you take levels in the Brogue class.

Edit: Huh...Brodin is part Irish. Who knew?

Rapidghoul
2012-02-08, 08:33 PM
Wow, lots of love for Brodin :smallbiggrin:

Brodin is not quite the same Bro as Brolaf; Brolaf most likely worships Broseidon, who is one of Brodin's bros, but the bros that worship Brodin (Barney Stinson) are different than the bros that worship Broseidon (Brolaf).

I like the point that Knowledge and Lore would be big for Brodin. After all, few compliments are more flattering to a follower of Brodin than "Cool Story, Bro." Suiting up for legendary adventures - thus making cool stories, bro - would likely be highly valued.

Femrir, however, sounds HILARIOUS and will be added to the pantheon.

Part of the difference between Barney and Brodin himself is the strict adherence to the Bro Code, thus Lawful Neutral. If I wanted to make Barney a deity himself, yeah, lawful wouldn't fit. I actually suggested to the DM that priests be called Bros and priestesses be called Hoes, but that raised some feminist-flags in her mind due to "Bros before hoes." It will probably be settled as more males following than females due to the conflict of Brodin and Femrir. However, female followers are always welcome and revered, being bought many pints of ale by the males in interest of companionship.

Otomodachi
2012-02-09, 05:51 AM
Yeah, I mean Stinson on the show is totally capable of having respect for women... it's just he only has it for the ones that are able to deal with him on his level. I kinda like the idea of a two-tiered membership of female and male hanger-ons, you know, wing-men and women, the lay-people (baddum-bump), and then the actual Bros that are cut out to Don the Suit and Walk the Code. I don't see how having lady-parts prevents you from being able to participate in a fraternal group, it's about your attitude not your biology, in my mind.

Maybe each temple to Brodin has a head priest who gets to force any traveling priests that visit to endure some silly hazing ritual to prove he is they are an actual Bro. I like that better than some simple secret handshake, personally. :P I'm thinking the egg-walk thing for example...

EDIT: See I was doing such a good job being enlightened and I had to mess it all up. :P

Venger
2012-02-09, 09:42 AM
My silliness aside, I'd see him as Barney with a PHD

barney is already a doctor. NPH was doogie hauser, after all.

this thread is awesome

DarkestKnight
2012-02-09, 10:51 AM
I don't watch much Tv, I didn't know that Barney had a doctorate. what's it in?

Alleran
2012-02-09, 11:11 AM
Being Awesome and Bro-hood.

Socratov
2012-02-09, 12:28 PM
do remember that drinking ale, kragg or anything not produced by a gritty red haired people from a land vaguely reminding of Scotland and Ireland is not accepted as drink. The holy drink for a Bro in the church of the Bra-father is referred to as Whisked Ey, and is a product of distilling fermented malt over a locally found peat. also note it is forbidden to entertain relations with female one time companions already laid with unless under clear orders or permission of the local Bro-shop (kind of a bishop, but for the church honouring Brodin).

People wishing to enter the church of the All-Awesome Brodin must pass a few tests:

the first test, the Test of Friendship will be conducted without the subject (hereafter referred to as Ted) knowing where the Ted will be required to assist a Bro with any number of the following: Brotection, temporarily guarding the Bro's secret documents containing the various worship acts, providing said Bro with a roof over his head or any way in which the Ted proves his general worthiness of being a bro.

After passing the first test, the second test will be conducted: the Test of competence. In this test the Ted must prove his competence in one of the aspects of worshipping Brodin: the act of Wingmanning. In this test the Ted must assist a Bro in the act of seduction. The Bro is in charge of teaching the Ted all the techniques and responsibilities of a Wingman. When passed the Ted will be referred to as a Wingman.

the third test is the Test of Knowledge. the Wingman is required to study on Brodin's last words and testament before ascension: the Bro Codex. From here on the Wingman has 2 options: 1 solving a dispute between 2 Bro's using his knowledge of the Bro codex, or tell a true story upon which 7 Bro's must answer "Cool story Bro...". This story must be told within a zone of truth, have the wingman as main character, and tell a tale of awesomeness worthy of a Bro. After passing this test the Wingman will swear the Oath of the Bro on the Bro Codex and until eternity or disbroment (whichever comes first) be referred to as Bro.

I, [name] solemnly swear to uphold the Bro Codex, honor the All-Awesome Brodin, support my Bro's, and never be sad, but just be awesome instead.

disbroment will follow after offences including, but not limited to, codpieceblocking, dishonoring the sacred system of dibs, refusing a bro in need and profanity against the All-Awesome Brodin.

also, the holy symbol of Brodin is a codpiece. Brodin has the following domains in his portfolio: Knowledge, law, Trickery (wenches love trickery), Luck.

edit: crap, now I desperately want to play this :smallbiggrin: :smallamused:

Venger
2012-02-09, 12:37 PM

barney doesn't have a doctorate. the actor who portrays him, however, neil patrick harris (NPH) also played doogie hauser MD on the show of the same name a long time ago when he was a kid. that's what I meant.

Raimun
2012-02-09, 12:48 PM
Isn't Odin already all that by most versions of the mythology?

Valhalla, the place he calls home, is a great feast hall. Warriors go there after they die in battle and they are carried there by flying warrior chicks. All they do there is drink, eat and fight, until they die again. The next morning they rise and start all that again.

Just make him a big viking chieftain guy who hosts the eternal feast. Occasionally, when mortal heroes need his help, he sobers up a bit and says something like: "Seriously though, we should really do something about the Ragnarok. Here's some pro bro tips..."

DarkEternal
2012-02-09, 01:03 PM
Everyone in Norse sagas and myths are a jerk in one way or another.

Everyone in all sagas and myths of all humanity is a jerk one way or another, really.

Rapidghoul
2012-02-09, 01:32 PM
Not to mention Dr. Horrible (also played by NPH) has a PhD in Horribleness. :smallcool:

Legend states that Brodin once won a beer pong contest by plucking out his own eye when he ran out of ping pong balls to use. As a reward for winning, he was granted unlimited knowledge as well as having a legendary story to tell for ages to come. In the party at the end of time, RagnaROCK!, Brodin is told to be shot down in front of everyone by Femrir, a smokin she-wolf who is easily an 11 on a scale of 1 to 10, and he will be forever shamed. Brodin's bro Broseidon avenges him later on by spreading a rumor about her to the whole pantheon.

In the Church of Brodin, there would be a heavy emphasis on loyalty, knowledge, challenges and subsequent celebrations, and legen- while suited up -dary adventures. Initiates would be mentored by a veteran Bros by taking up the title of Wing Man, both serving to help the Bro and simultaneously learning their ways. When ready, the Bro tests the initiate by acting as the wing man, seeing if they can properly follow out the Bro Code.

Brodin's favored weapon is the Shortspear (as is Odin's), often used for competitions of strength and skill. Like billiards. His domains are Law (Bro Code), Competition (challenge accepted!), Knowledge (cool story, bro), Luck (AM I DEAD???), and ProBrotection.

Okizruin
2012-02-09, 01:54 PM
Not to mention Dr. Horrible (also played by NPH) has a PhD in Horribleness. :smallcool:

Legend states that Brodin once won a beer pong contest by plucking out his own eye when he ran out of ping pong balls to use. As a reward for winning, he was granted unlimited knowledge as well as having a legendary story to tell for ages to come. In the party at the end of time, RagnaROCK!, Brodin is told to be shot down in front of everyone by Femrir, a smokin she-wolf who is easily an 11 on a scale of 1 to 10, and he will be forever shamed. Brodin's bro Broseidon avenges him later on by spreading a rumor about her to the whole pantheon.

In the Church of Brodin, there would be a heavy emphasis on loyalty, knowledge, challenges and subsequent celebrations, and legen- while suited up -dary adventures. Initiates would be mentored by a veteran Bros by taking up the title of Wing Man, both serving to help the Bro and simultaneously learning their ways. When ready, the Bro tests the initiate by acting as the wing man, seeing if they can properly follow out the Bro Code.

Brodin's favored weapon is the Shortspear (as is Odin's), often used for competitions of strength and skill. Like billiards. His domains are Law (Bro Code), Competition (challenge accepted!), Knowledge (cool story, bro), Luck (AM I DEAD???), and ProBrotection.

He probably grossed everyone out by plucking his own eye out.

Rapidghoul
2012-02-09, 01:58 PM
He probably grossed everyone out by plucking his own eye out.

Nah, it was just awesome. :smallcool:

The Glyphstone
2012-02-09, 02:10 PM

Nah, Brodin's favored weapon should be variable. Most of the time, it's a Shortspear, but in the presence of a hot chick, the Favored Weapon of Brodin is instead a Longspear.

Soren Hero
2012-02-09, 02:39 PM
Nah, Brodin's favored weapon should be variable. Most of the time, it's a Shortspear, but in the presence of a hot chick, the Favored Weapon of Brodin is instead a Longspear.

http://gallery.zzq.org/d/70941-1/fry-see-what-you-did-there.jpg

Socratov
2012-02-09, 03:30 PM

No, you begin your career within the church with a shortspear, when rising in rank you gain a 'normal' spear, a longspear and eventually a Polearm (halberd, guisarme, ranseur) or a lance. when however you have been sent on a quest for Brodin, you will be granted an Axiomatic Morphing shortspear which can (depending on your rank) transform into one of the shapes above. (I mean, it's easier to travel with a shortspear then with a halberd :smallamused: )

OracleofWuffing
2012-02-09, 03:47 PM
No, you begin your career within the church with a shortspear, when rising in rank you gain a 'normal' spear, a longspear and eventually a Polearm (halberd, guisarme, ranseur) or a lance. when however you have been sent on a quest for Brodin, you will be granted an Axiomatic Morphing shortspear which can (depending on your rank) transform into one of the shapes above. (I mean, it's easier to travel with a shortspear then with a halberd :smallamused: )
There's also a code in there that you will never wield a hoe. You'll use another one of your bros as weapons before that.

Socratov
2012-02-09, 03:59 PM
There's also a code in there that you will never wield a hoe. You'll use another one of your bros as weapons before that.

quoted for truth :)

SaintRidley
2012-02-09, 04:02 PM
Would the Valkyries then be wingbros to the afterlife?

Socratov
2012-02-09, 04:05 PM
Would the Valkyries then be wingbros to the afterlife?

almost. the Valkyries are the Wingwomen of Brodin, they select honourable Bro's and pick them when dieing to get them to the great eternal party in Brodin's halls

Pokonic
2012-02-09, 04:08 PM
Slepnair shall be forever known as the "sweet ride", and Brodin only lets his most trusted Bro's to take her out for a spin around Sigil.

Rapidghoul
2012-02-09, 04:50 PM

Actually, the character this entire thread is based on is a Warforged Artificer that aspires to be an Inevitable. His weapon familiar is a starmetal shortspear at the moment, and the first enchantment he's putting in it is "Sizing" which allows you to change it between a shortspear, spear, and longspear at will. So... yeah, your idea fits perfectly.

I think the Valkeries would be the Wingwomen of Brodin as was suggested. If you wanted to make it closer to frat-boy-bros, you could make them cheerleaders, but for Stinson-bros, focusing on WINGwomen works better. And the sweet ride idea is great. Slepnair, the Bromobile, to help followers uphold the Brocode in style.

OracleofWuffing
2012-02-09, 06:11 PM
Slepnair shall be forever known as the "sweet ride", and Brodin only lets his most trusted Bro's to take her out for a spin around Sigil.
How do we bro-ify Huginn and Muninn? Are they Bro-Number-One and Bro-Letter-A? Broginn and Broninn? iPhone and Wikipedia?

Rapidghoul
2012-02-09, 06:20 PM
Or Geri and Freki.

Pokonic
2012-02-09, 06:27 PM
How do we bro-ify Huginn and Muninn? Are they Bro-Number-One and Bro-Letter-A? Broginn and Broninn? iPhone and Wikipedia?

Nah, there his "wingmen" that help out new bro's with the Valkeries. On the other hand, they are his best-trusted "men" and scout the world for new guys that could uphold the bro code.

Rubik
2012-02-09, 08:14 PM
"Bros before hoes," taken to extremes, would mean every male cleric of Brodin would be gay.

I'm all for it.

Rapidghoul
2012-02-10, 03:07 AM
...which would be funny, given NPH is gay in real life and still the most legendary bro ever.