PDA

View Full Version : The next Prequel book

ZombieMaster
2012-02-08, 02:58 PM
Any thought on what the next prequel book will be? It seems likely to me that it will be about The Order of the Scribble, but interested in other people's thoughts.

Bonus excitement: When people asked Rich to make book 5 be a part of the kickstarter pledge, he said he couldn't/wouldn't because a) he didn't know how much it would cost, and b) didn't know if it would be the next book he released.

Didn't know if it would be the next book

Given that he already has 150+ strips written for book 5 (since the end of book 4), we're only 20-30 strips from finishing the book 5 content (of course, he still has to write commentaries and any bonus strips etc, but that's still fairly close). So if he's not sure if that will be the next book, then IMO that must mean he already has some if not all of the next prequel book already written.........

Cazaril
2012-02-08, 03:00 PM
Of course, he currently has a heck of a lot on his plate, what with the 7? new stories he's writing for the Kickstarter drive. :smalltongue: So if he was working on another prequel book, it's probably not going to get picked back up until at least May, I'd think.

Obnoxious Hydra
2012-02-08, 04:09 PM
If there's another prequel book, I'd like it to be 'old adventuring parties' in general.

Half half of it devoted to the Order of the Scribble, and have the other half devoted to Tarquin's old party. Or, split it up into thirds, and have the extra third donated to Roy's dad's old party (though that probably wouldn't be as exciting).

DrBurr
2012-02-08, 04:46 PM
Roy's dad's old party (though that probably wouldn't be as exciting).

I'd read it

Though I think we can safely bet on Tarquin's adventures or a Linear Guild book as the next prequel story.

Order of the Scribble would be a great book too but part of the mystery right now is learning about how the scribbles had a falling out, sure Kraagor's death seems to be the cause but that's more likely the straw that broke the camel's back. So I'd imagine that the Scribble book be written when we're closer to the end of the strip, either right before or after Kraagor's gate.

Gift Jeraff
2012-02-08, 04:51 PM
I'm still guessing the next prequel is about the Linear Guild, Tarquin, and a dash of the archfiends. Scribble prequel would be made significantly later. (And I'm personally hoping for it to be written as Serini's diary, with a few crayon drawings here and there.)

Obnoxious Hydra
2012-02-08, 05:26 PM
I'd read it

Same. I just said that it probably wouldn't be as interesting, because all we know about them is that they just completely gave up on their main aim (killing Xykon), so unless they had some other wacky adventures.. meh.

Also, a prequel book for the Linear Guild in the same style as OTOOPC or SOD would be quite cool, how the original six members got together... the archfiends instructing Sabine to go with Nale, Loki sending Hilgya, how Nale met Thog, Yikyik and Zz'ditri...
Maybe their first evil adventure together.

Scribble prequel would be made significantly later. (And I'm personally hoping for it to be written as Serini's diary, with a few crayon drawings here and there.)

Capital idea.

DrBurr
2012-02-08, 06:45 PM
Same. I just said that it probably wouldn't be as interesting, because all we know about them is that they just completely gave up on their main aim (killing Xykon), so unless they had some other wacky adventures.. meh.

Well SoD gave us a quick glimse of Eugene's party and from the looks of it they went on alot of wacky adventures

I'm still guessing the next prequel is about the Linear Guild, Tarquin, and a dash of the archfiends. Scribble prequel would be made significantly later. (And I'm personally hoping for it to be written as Serini's diary, with a few crayon drawings here and there.)

Definitely

Omergideon
2012-02-08, 06:49 PM
See the Tarquin thread for my take on why I do not support a prequel only about him.

I do not want a Scribble story for some similar enough reasons. And also the fact that their story works best as an epic. It is the kind of tale that works for me as Myth, and not as story. Background story, with tantalising hints and snippets, but not the whole story. Like the Time War in Doctor Who, or the Butlerian Rebellions in Dune. Sometimes less is more, and I think that for the scribblers less is more indeed. It may be impressive and fancy when seen, but never what we imagine. Plus we have a certain understanding of how the story ends, and a good chance of a lot of the dramatic moments being filled in later on in this story. It may be a fun tale, and the Giant I am sure could make decent stories out of any of these options, but not ones good enough.....

With Eugenes party.....I just don't care enough about him to see it. Not one bit.

The Linear Guild......that is a different story entirely. I AM interested in Nale, Sabine and the original LG getting together. I AM interested in a bit more background for the IFCC being revealed. I do want to know some more about the characters in their that we know too little about.

Of course I do not think a full prequel about any one group is the best way to go. I just don't think any of them deserve a full story. I mean the current prequels are about the main villains and ther main heroes of the story, and even then I do not care enough about OTOOPCs to get it. Only SoD. However an anthology of short stories about many groups........that is something I would love to see. a long prequel needs a good reason to justify it. And if the only reason is "I reckon it would be fun to read" then short stories is probaly the best way to go, without the story running out of steam.

RSLee
2012-02-08, 08:39 PM
Gotta say I'd love to see a Linear Guild prequel. Out of the remaining factions in the story that haven't gotten a prequel, I think they've probably got the most story to be told. I want to know about how they got together, the details of their fight against Tarquin and their association with Xykon.

Besides, anything that gives us more Tarquin and Thog is good with me.