PDA

View Full Version : help with the next few steps in my campaign (familiarity with Ebberon is a plus)

Starscythe
2012-02-08, 05:43 PM
ok i need some outside help from someone who is creative and not in my D&D game... after failing to find anyone, i'm setting for ya'll. I'll try to catch you up on things so you have a decent background but the game has been going on for over a year and I'm having to fight some of the things that a long running campaign has (mostly that they know most of my tricks by now and have a good idea of the enemies that they will be fighting so they have specialized gear and have built up political contacts all over as well as having several influential people owing them favors.)

the setting is Ebberon (with some changes that me and the characters have made over the last 5 years of game time(year of irl time). Right now the party is level 15 and consist of a sovereign host avenger with the mark of shadow, a artificer with the mark of making and a homebrew PP that makes him all silver flamey, a kalashtar paladin who is a Karnathi countess, a homeless orphan Valenar ranger who has become a Karnathi count, and a Eladrin swordmage who is part of the serpentine table in House Phiarlan (the spy section of the entertaining guild) even though she doesn't have the mark of shadow.

so far the party has spent the majority of their adventuring careers chasing and being chased by a 3000 year old litch named Vol trying to ascend to godhood and cause a zombie apocalypse. With the convenience of plot coincidence a lot of her plans are coming together near where the players are and so far they have managed to put a major dent in her plans. They are currently raising an army to bring down a demon cultist side villain who they have a personal beef with from a previous adventure.

During the major battle that is about to happen I'm planing on having the party face down the cult leader personally, lose, and get captured. The army they raised should destroy/scatter 99% of the cult if they play their cards right. They will then be sold as political prisoners to Sarlona (chinese people ruled by evil dream spirits that can posses people) due to the palidin's involvement in the kalashtar community.

I'm having them captured and striped because the party has become a little more powerful than i want and as a plot device for getting them from point a to point b. they've been a big over budgeted group for a while and i think it would be interesting to see the challenges of being under budgeted for a while.

The party has also met a powerful and insane hermit/ prophet/ Invoker of the silver flame that hasn't left his hideout in several years and speaks only in scripture (think how bumble bee from transformers speaks with radio transmissions) that wanders around setting fire to things he doesn't like. He will sneak aboard a ship going to Sarlona and track the party to the prison where they are being tortured and free them at the expense of his own life. His last words will be something along the lines of "the shadow of Death looms over the mountains in the south. Bring the light to that shadow or...*dies* "

after they get released from prison they'll have to scrounge for some basic unenchanted gear (instead of the high end magic items, back up redundancies, planar magic, spell books, and mountain of money they've been used to working with) and tackle a re-fluffed version of the Skull City section of Tomb of Horrors owned by Vol, meet up with local anti government kalastar rebels in Adar, and try to coordinate ship passage back home where they have all their land, titles, and bank accounts.

any thoughts as to this being too predictable? I've found that the party knows me a little too well and want to throw them a few curve balls besides taking their epic magic items.