PDA

View Full Version : Please help me Wizard. (spell list help)

Snowbluff
2012-02-08, 07:42 PM
So. I am in another campaign. One of my players is starting a campaign, and banned ToB (BIG MISTAKE). So I elected to make the most powerful character I knew how. Best class I know? Wizard, I haven't played one yet? Best trick I know for it? Abusing Ultimate Magus, my CL is 15 base, with 7 level spells.

Now I have a problem. I have never played a Wizard before. I know a few good BFC spells from playing Sorc, but I would like a few more spells to fill in my spellbook with my remaining GP. What spells should I be packing?

Heres some info:

Me:
Gray Elven Generalist Wizard5/UM5, (spon divination)
Int: 28 (20, +2 level, +6 enhancement)
Notable items: 2 Solar Simulacrum (I know the spell, made with donations from the team), Headband o' Intellect +6, Thought bottle (fill it with 500 XP before making Simulacrum/Wishes).

The DM said we will fighting armies and will be needing siege engines. So spells to help against/with those sort of things would be nice.

Medic!
2012-02-08, 08:31 PM
A properly metamagic'd Cloudkill is a seige engine. Convince a party member to be an Item Familiar toting Incantrix and just go nuts!

Other ideas: enchant the dog-snot out of massive amounts of caltrops to make them spell-storing and fill them all with ray of exaustion, then use gust of wind to fling them all over the battlefield.

Obtain multiple scrolls of Enlarge Person, Mass, turn as much of the enemy army Large as human(oid)ly possible to make them easier targets for the archers, then dismiss the spells when they close in on your side for melee.

Get a wand of magic mouth and use it to create talking terain features all over the area the enemy army will next camp with triggering conditions set so that the enemy army's presence will cause trees to say "Welcome to Mordor" or some such. Chain the effects so that after one is set off, the next won't go off until it's finished. (Also not a bad idea to plan an assassin infiltration 3/4 of the way through the magic mouths going off)

Use magic jar to possess heralds or trumpet/drummer boys to give the wrong commands to the enemy army.

Howling chain from Spell Compendium is also a favorite of mine. (Not just a wizard, a wizard who creates spiked chain fighters)

Snowbluff
2012-02-08, 08:46 PM
A properly metamagic'd Cloudkill is a seige engine. Convince a party member to be an Item Familiar toting Incantrix and just go nuts!

Other ideas: enchant the dog-snot out of massive amounts of caltrops to make them spell-storing and fill them all with ray of exaustion, then use gust of wind to fling them all over the battlefield.

Obtain multiple scrolls of Enlarge Person, Mass, turn as much of the enemy army Large as human(oid)ly possible to make them easier targets for the archers, then dismiss the spells when they close in on your side for melee.

Get a wand of magic mouth and use it to create talking terain features all over the area the enemy army will next camp with triggering conditions set so that the enemy army's presence will cause trees to say "Welcome to Mordor" or some such. Chain the effects so that after one is set off, the next won't go off until it's finished. (Also not a bad idea to plan an assassin infiltration 3/4 of the way through the magic mouths going off)

Use magic jar to possess heralds or trumpet/drummer boys to give the wrong commands to the enemy army.

Howling chain from Spell Compendium is also a favorite of mine. (Not just a wizard, a wizard who creates spiked chain fighters)

Huh. Weird, I was thinking exactly this and our DN is a Incantatrix. She has an Item Familiar and Everything. Is there more ways to boost her Spellcraft for stronger spells?

Venger
2012-02-09, 12:03 PM
Huh. Weird, I was thinking exactly this and our DN is a Incantatrix. She has an Item Familiar and Everything. Is there more ways to boost her Spellcraft for stronger spells?

well, you seem to have already stumbled on the most important one, which is simulacrum to make copies of him so that your incantrix friend can use his clones to do circle magic. if you've got a thought bottle, the xp cost from the simulacrums will be relatively neglibile in exchange for what they're offering. make sure to protect them well though, they are a little fragile as far as HP damage goes, and sorcerers don't ususally load up on defensive castle building type spells, so make sure to craft a mordenkainen's private sanctum trap for whatever base you keep the clones in so your enemy can't teleport in a bomb or an angry elephant or whatever via scry and die.

Tr011
2012-02-09, 02:29 PM
Forcecage for insta-win and the only "save" your opponent has is size.
Grease can kill any barbarian/heavy armor fighter.
Alter Self is just BOOM. Polymorph is better for sure but I'm not really familiar with it.
Orb of Fire is quiet nice with a CL of 15. Celerity is game-breaking as usual. Teleport and Dimension Door is what you usually cast after Celerity. Wall of Stone "rocks". Baleful Transposition has it's uses. Oh, and you are a wizard: Go for Imbue Familiar with Spell Ability (why only having 1 standard/swift action per round?)
Heart of... Chain is pretty nice (Complete Mage) because it grants +10ft speed, "immunity" to water stuff, immunitiy to crits, some minor bonuses and fire resistance 20 (immunity to mundane fire).

Urpriest
2012-02-09, 02:42 PM
There are a number of snow related spells from Frostburn that can utterly annihilate an army. Someone should check if Blizzard is available to Wizards, I know Druids can get it.

In general if your DM wants you to avoid being broken they will notice if you're using UM to double-advance. To prove your DM's anti-ToB policy is stupid you need much less smelly cheese.

Sudain
2012-02-10, 07:32 PM
Don't forget you have UMD available, and can research spells.

Hirax
2012-02-10, 07:42 PM
Seconding blizzard. To get it as a wizard you need to either take arcane disciple (winter), which forces you to worship a particular deity and match their alignment, or planar touchstone (Catalogs of Enlightenment, winter domain), though using planar touchstone is a little burdensome if you can't plane shift reliably to recharge your higher order uses, or can't reliably accomplish any of the tasks to recharge it.

Snowbluff
2012-02-10, 08:49 PM
There are a number of snow related spells from Frostburn that can utterly annihilate an army. Someone should check if Blizzard is available to Wizards, I know Druids can get it.

In general if your DM wants you to avoid being broken they will notice if you're using UM to double-advance. To prove your DM's anti-ToB policy is stupid you need much less smelly cheese.

I've been looking at Frostburn and I've found the spells in it very good for this. Thank you!

As for the cheese, the DM didn't noticed because:

A) He was too busy giving the Centaur Monk a Hard time for having good stats (I had to roll her a new character).
B) He was too busy complaining about the Frenzied Berserker not dying. (I had a hand in this character's creation).
C) This DM is less experienced that I am. He banned ToB but did not have the foresight to expect a wizard to be making a breeze out of his encounters (which, to his credit, are CR appropriate and balanced, except for the cannonballs raining on my head AFTER I escaped them on Monkback) regardless of my cheese-level. This is why my response to ToB banning is "The DM probably doesn't have any idea what's he doing/needs some guidance".
D) He actually okayed my simulacrum (Latin plural, right? Simulacra? Simulacrums isn't right). It's a 7th level spell and I am level 10. He's letting me have up to 4.
E) The only thing he called me out on was using Plane Shift to escape the part of town that being bombed by an army. While we were being attacked by soldiers.
F) He also complained about my Genesis plane, which I made with a scroll.