PDA

View Full Version : Extra attacks by class choice

Bit Fiend
2012-02-08, 08:15 PM
Greetings.

I recently had an idea to improve the importance of melee-classes (a little). It goes like this:

1. The number of attacks a character can do a round is not determined by his BAB. Instead he gains an extra attack at a cumulative -3 penalty for every 5 levels in a full BAB class. (Monk is changed to a full BAB class to be fair.)

2. Attacks with an offhand weapon use the same To Hit as the main hand and same number of attacks -1 (dropping the attack with the lowest attack bonus, minimum number of attacks is 1) with no penalty if the character has the Two Weapon Fighting feat (Improved and Greater Two Weapon Fighting do not exist) and is using a light offhand weapon. Wielding a medium or larger offhand weapon still applies the usual penalty of -2 to hit. Characters without the Two Weapon fighting feat still suffer the standard penalties for wielding more than one weapon and are restricted to a single attack with the offhand weapon, which is only usable as part of a Full Attack.

3. Attacking as a Standard Action will let the character use all extra attacks gained by levels in full BAB classes (and extra attacks from offhand weapons) -1 (dropping the attacks with the lowest attack bonus, minimum number of attacks is 1). Extra attacks from Flurry of Blows can also be used in a Standard Action attack.

4. Multiple Attacks per round by natural attacks (e.g. bear's "claw-claw-bite") are excluded from 3.. A creature may only use these additional attacks when using the Full Attack action.

Note: I am well aware that this does in no way change the fact that Wizards are still rearranging the fundamental laws of the universe and Fighters are still hitting stuff with metal objects. Frankly, I like it that way. I'm just worried about Clerics, Druids and their pets outfighting the Fighter and hope theses rules will make this a fair bit harder to accomplish.

All I'm asking is this: Would these rules have any significant impact or are they not even worth bothering?

Edit: Also I'm aware that my wording is horrible. I do have severe trouble with wording rules and similar things, so any help improving it is well appreciated.

Jheska
2012-02-08, 08:23 PM
Rogue does very well for the first 5 levels then peters off into uselessness.

Also, consider classes like binder or even the poor BaB incarnate.

Bit Fiend
2012-02-08, 08:27 PM
Rogue does very well for the first 5 levels then peters off into uselessness.

Also, consider classes like binder or even the poor BaB incarnate.

Hm, yes, I see the trouble with Rogues in this system I admit. I have yet to find a workaround... Binders and incarnates on the other hand do not concern me as much as I would like to focus on the core classes first before getting to the more exotic ones. One step at a time, you see...

Jheska
2012-02-08, 08:36 PM
Its more to point out rule 1 is unnecessary. The only time a caster's BaB is going to matter is when they're gishing it up at which point you can expect them to have plenty of full BaB levels anyway.

Bit Fiend
2012-02-08, 08:47 PM
Its more to point out rule 1 is unnecessary. The only time a caster's BaB is going to matter is when they're gishing it up at which point you can expect them to have plenty of full BaB levels anyway.

Fits for the arcanes, sure, but as I see it CoDzillas are regularly gishing it up with only their Cleric/Druid levels by default. They can deliver substantially less melee punishment (DMM persist Cleric, Wildshape Druid) when they're tied to a single attack per round without losing caster levels... don't they?

Mystify
2012-02-08, 11:10 PM
There are a lot of 3/4 BaB martial classes that are going to fall apart with those rules. Rogue and scout, for instance.

FMArthur
2012-02-08, 11:21 PM
Honestly, melee is pretty easy to optimize for damage. That's not needed.

If you're worried about certain types of melee outshining others, solve the problem where a badass humanoid who optimized for combat with two swords is always inferior to a multiweapon fighting thri-kreen or a character made to produce a flailing ball of natural weapons in combat who optimized in the exact same way. The only TWF thing that isn't better off being a >TWF thing are a couple of Tiger Claw maneuvers that only work with up to two weapons. That's pretty much it as far as I know.