PDA

View Full Version : OOTS voice-over

ferrodoxin
2012-02-08, 08:19 PM
Once upon a time I had this idea, and the soundtrack (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231882) thread reminded me

How about we pick actors from the forum and vocalize the dialogue in OOTS?
What would Mr. Burlew think about this?
And what do you guys think?

Jaros
2012-02-08, 08:29 PM
I understand the appeal, but I don't really see the point. I think there'd be too much arguing over what the characters should sound like if this was ever attempted and quite frankly, it works great in comic format already.

Vahir
2012-02-08, 09:26 PM
Since there's a lot of jokes that bring the fourth wall to a crashing end, I don't think a voice over would fit well. For example, all the jokes regarding speech bubbles wouldn't make sense.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, I'm just skeptical on its application.

Ulysses WkAmil
2012-02-08, 09:29 PM
Since there's a lot of jokes that bring the fourth wall to a crashing end, I don't think a voice over would fit well. For example, all the jokes regarding speech bubbles wouldn't make sense.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, I'm just skeptical on its application.

Um... have voice changers on the people with different bubbles and change "Speech Bubble" to "Voice Mod"
or something

ScubaGoomba
2012-02-08, 10:01 PM
Think of it as the OOTS Fan Translation for the Blind.

Hattish Thing
2012-02-08, 11:52 PM
As much as I think this would be awesome, I don't think it would be worth it.

LuPuWei
2012-02-11, 01:39 PM
I've actually wanted to do this independently for some time, but (perhaps to the benefit of everyone :smalltongue: ) I haven't found the time.

Adoendithas
2012-02-11, 03:52 PM
If the Giant agrees, this sounds like a great idea.

ThePhantasm
2012-02-11, 06:44 PM
No thanks, not that interested. The comic works fine on its own, and the words detached from the art just wouldn't work right. With the art it would just be some sort of read-a-long book. It just doesn't fit a comic medium.

Bleak Ink
2012-02-11, 07:56 PM
Think of it as the OOTS Fan Translation for the Blind.

I love it.

I understand the appeal, but I don't really see the point. I think there'd be too much arguing over what the characters should sound like if this was ever attempted and quite frankly, it works great in comic format already.

Perhaps a thread to see how the majority of the fandom hears each character, and keeping track of the reoccuring opinions?

ThePhantasm
2012-02-12, 09:01 AM
I hear all the characters in my own voice, though, in my head. We've had this discussion before on the forum and a number of folk feel the same way. Some people differentiate voices and some don't.

ferrodoxin
2012-02-12, 01:24 PM
I'm not suggesting we replace the comic, I just thought it would be fun for those who wanted to take part in it.

Bleak Ink
2012-02-12, 02:25 PM
I hear all the characters in my own voice, though, in my head. We've had this discussion before on the forum and a number of folk feel the same way. Some people differentiate voices and some don't.

Well if they weren't predisposed towards specific tones, they probably wouldn't be terribly upset by the voice actors no matter what they sounded like, right?

ThePhantasm
2012-02-12, 06:59 PM
Well if they weren't predisposed towards specific tones, they probably wouldn't be terribly upset by the voice actors no matter what they sounded like, right?

I wouldn't be, I can't speak for others. But then I'm not particularly interested in a voice-over project anywho, like I said, I don't think it fits the medium. If OOTS were simply a text based story like a book, that'd be one thing, but a comic strip? I don't see how it would work.

LuPuWei
2012-02-13, 02:15 AM
I'm not suggesting we replace the comic, I just thought it would be fun for those who wanted to take part in it.

Meh, just go for it. It's not like you're trying to sell it or create an "Offical-Canon-Voice-Over" version of OotS or anything. So just have fun! As long as the Giant is ok with whatever you produce.

And do check out the previous voices thread if you can find it (I can't :smalltongue: ) without raising it from the dead...