PDA

View Full Version : The Estilkian [3.5 race, play Ooze-people!]

Lix Lorn
2012-02-08, 10:03 PM
ESTILKIAN

Estilkians are a highly odd race, being intelligent specimens of the ooze family. Some believe they were created by bored or perverse mages, but most scholars believe they evolved naturally as a response to growing numbers of Ooze deaths from adventurers.

TYPICAL ESTILKIANS
Estilkians tend to be amorous and unfailingly friendly. They are fluid, hard to harm, and can dance around words and thoughts without a single mote of effort. Estilkians often latch on to other beings and creatures, mimicking them like a worshipful child does an older sibling.

PHYSICAL DESCRIPTION
Estilkians vary greatly, due to their fluid nature and oozelike origins. They come in most colours, and can adapt their form essentially at a whim, although they do tend to pick one and stick with it. Estilkians do have the same two genders as most other races, although scholars are utterly stumped as to why this is so.

Relations With Other Races
Estilkians utter naivety helps them become accepted, but tends to lead to them being manipulated. Estilkians are often persuaded to do dirty or unpleasant jobs, or to do unsavoury or criminal acts without even realising it. Many criminal organisations employ Estilkians for their ability to dispose of evidence.

Alignment
Estilkians tend towards good alignments, mostly due to their friendly innocence, but this by no means eliminates the possibility of unpleasant, cruel, or evil Estilkians.

Estilkian Lands
Estilkians are rare creatures native to caves and dungeons. They have few lands of their own, the greatest of which is a small city located under a mountain range.

Religion
Few Estilkians accept the power of the divine, or at least few respect it. The few that do tend to be drawn to gods of cheer and hope.

Language
Estilkians speak common.

Common Names
Estilkian names are often fast and short, such as Kia, Riss, Nik, or Li.

Adventurers
Estilkians most commonly seek adventure because someone they care about does so, rather than their own desires. When an Estilkian latches onto you, you have a friend for life.

Estilkian Racial Traits
Abilities: +2 Dex, +2 Con, +2 Cha, -2 Int, -2 Str. While Estilkians aren't the smartest or the strongest of races, they are fast, difficult to injure, and distinctly friendly.
Size: Medium.
Type: A Estilkian is an Ooze. They are not subject to spells or effects that affect only humanoids, such as dominate person or charm person. Unlike most oozes, they are not mindless, and generally use eyes to see. Except where specified otherwise, they possess Ooze racial traits. Estilkians are not immune to stunning or to polymorph effects.
Movement Rate: 30ft.
Blindsight (Ex): While Estilkians possess eyes, they still retain the sensory input of their bodies. They have blindsight out to 20ft, but are still subject to attacks based on sight.
Slam: An Estilkian has a primary natural slam attack dealing 1d4+Str mod damage, as well as applying their acid.
Controlled Acid (Ex): A Estilkian’s body can mimic those of the humanoids it appears like, or the vicious power of their ooze ancestors. Changing between the two requires a full round action. While they are doing the former, their bodies are safe to touch, yielding liquid or soft solid as the situation demands.
With the latter, their form becomes dangerous to the touch, acidic and dangerous. In this form, they deal acid damage to anything they touch: They do acid damage equal to their con modifier on contact, and a full round of contact deals 5+1/2HD+con mod acid damage to any substance other than stone. This form destroys mundane weapons and armour quickly, but any item that can survive contact with them remains on them. Most Estilkians can render items immune to their touch by exposing them to weak amounts of their acid, so their equipment tends to be safe.
Form of Goo (Ex): Most attacks simply slosh through an Estilkian, albeit doing more pain and damage to the sensate, intelligent creatures than their ooze cousins. They take less damage from all attacks. This reduction in damage is equal to half their constitution modifier (minimum one), and cannot reduce an attack below one damage. Their fluid form also allows them to make minor cosmetic changes in appearence, granting a +2 racial bonus to disguise checks.
Constrict (Ex): An estilkian deals automatic slam and acid damage with a successful grapple check. The opponent’s clothing and armor take a -4 penalty on Reflex saves against the acid.
Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, an estilkian must hit with their slam attack. They can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If they win the grapple check, they establish a hold and can constrict.

Favoured Class: Rogue, Swordsage, Swordmage
LA:+2

Feats
Rapid Danger
Prerequisites: Estilkian
Benefit: You may switch from a harmless form to a dangerous one as a swift action.

Morphic Form
Prerequisites: Estilkian
Benefit: You have greater control of your form, able of shrinking into a formless pool of acid and back again. Mechanically, this allows you to fit through gaps as though a liquid (abeit a thick one, with consistency closer to treacle than water.) It also improoves your racial disgusie bonus to +4, or +10 if the object is simply 'Look like not me'.

---

I think that's my last monster-race.

MammonAzrael
2012-02-08, 10:31 PM
Is there a reference in the name?
I'm not seeing the image.
What's the rational behind the +2 Cha? It seems like they'd be rather estranged from most creatures due to their oozey nature, sort of like warforged.
Do they still have immunity to gaze attacks, visual effects, illusions, and other attack forms that rely on sight?
Do they retain all the other varied immunities the ooze type grants?
The damage from Controlled Acid should be noted to be acid damage.
They should probably have a slam attack with which to deliver that acid damage.
What happens to any gear the Estilkian is wearing and wielding when it transforms?
Form of Goo is essentially a convoluted form of DR/-, so why not just use that?
Nothing in the description made me feel like they had monk or rogueish tendencies, so why are those the favored classes?
I get where you're going with Venom-Known, but that seems pretty pricey just to be able to use your own gear. Perhaps instead the Estilkian just need to have greater control over their acid?

Lix Lorn
2012-02-09, 01:58 PM
Not really. Made the name up.
Odd. It shows fine for me.
Because I said they were unfailingly friendly and affectionate. I said that because I wanted these monster-races to be able to function in an adventuring party, which is far easier if they have decent relations with other species.
Yes. They're Oozes.
Also yes.
Was it not? Will edit.
They have unarmed attacks, same as every other race.
It starts taking acid damage.
DR doesn't block energy damage.
They're clearly intended for melee, but I object to fighter. I would have said Warblade, but they have an Int penalty. I do however see them as generally flexible and acrobatic, so rogue seemed a good fit, as did Monk. I did pick Monk more for the physical aspects than the enlightenment part.
Do you think so? I could just let them make things acid-proof for free.

MammonAzrael
2012-02-09, 02:43 PM
Because I said they were unfailingly friendly and affectionate. I said that because I wanted these monster-races to be able to function in an adventuring party, which is far easier if they have decent relations with other species.

The feeling I got from the description made them feel like well-meaning stalkers, not people who have a genuinely enjoyable personality. And that screams Cha penalty to me. If you want them to have a better image with other races, simply expand the "Relations with other Races" section to actually include how they relate to other races.

Yes. They're Oozes.

I ask becomes you said they have eyes. Oozes have those visual immunities specifically because they lack eyes, so it's logical to assume that since Estilkian have eyes, they lose those immunities.

They have unarmed attacks, same as every other race.

Which provoke AoOs without Improved Unarmed Strike. Having a slam attack has precedent both with playable races and with oozes in general. Perhaps they only have a slam attack in ooze form?

They're clearly intended for melee, but I object to fighter. I would have said Warblade, but they have an Int penalty. I do however see them as generally flexible and acrobatic, so rogue seemed a good fit, as did Monk. I did pick Monk more for the physical aspects than the enlightenment part.

I see. You selected their favored classes based on mechanical proficiencies, not for any flavor reasons.

Do you think so? I could just let them make things acid-proof for free.

Or instead of altering items, they can just control which parts of their bodies are actively acidic and which parts are not. With that control of their own body chemistry, they can hold items just fine, only destroying what they intend to.

Lix Lorn
2012-02-09, 02:56 PM
The feeling I got from the description made them feel like well-meaning stalkers, not people who have a genuinely enjoyable personality. And that screams Cha penalty to me. If you want them to have a better image with other races, simply expand the "Relations with other Races" section to actually include how they relate to other races.
Seriously? O_o I was trying to present them more as friendly kids.

I ask becomes you said they have eyes. Oozes have those visual immunities specifically because they lack eyes, so it's logical to assume that since Estilkian have eyes, they lose those immunities.
That's a good reason to not get the gaze immunity.

Which provoke AoOs without Improved Unarmed Strike. Having a slam attack has precedent both with playable races and with oozes in general. Perhaps they only have a slam attack in ooze form?
I'm not sure that's not necessarily a bad thing. Why would they be better at hitting someone than a human?
Plus, they could just dip their weapon in acid. :smalltongue:

I see. You selected their favored classes based on mechanical proficiencies, not for any flavor reasons.
Only in part. Flavourwise, I'd probably give them rogue and fighter, but monk is a close third, and I see more usable monk fixes than fighter fixes.
Plus, I think monk actually fits them better, if you tweak the flavour to be less meditative.

Or instead of altering items, they can just control which parts of their bodies are actively acidic and which parts are not. With that control of their own body chemistry, they can hold items just fine, only destroying what they intend to.
That amount of control seems a bit much. That would be a feat, and would probably have prerequisites. An alchemical solution seems much better to me.

MammonAzrael
2012-02-09, 03:53 PM
Seriously? O_o I was trying to present them more as friendly kids.

Yep. Descriptions that stood out to me were "Estilkians often latch on to other beings and creatures," "Estilkians utter naivety helps them become accepted, but tends to work against them afterwards," and "When an Estilkian latches onto you, you had best hope they’re the lovable kind and not the annoying kind, because you’ll be hard pressed to get rid of them."

The first makes sense for young children, but once maturity is reached that trait feels far more disturbing. The second implies that this latching onto creatures can be seen as innocent and child-like at first, but swiftly becomes something aggravating. The third pushes the feel of a stalker home, in that regardless of how you feel about them, they'll continue to follow you and attempt to be involved in your life, regardless of how you feel about it.

It's the fact that they latch on and follow you regardless of how you feel about it that gives them the stalker feeling to me.

I'm not sure that's not necessarily a bad thing. Why would they be better at hitting someone than a human?
Plus, they could just dip their weapon in acid. :smalltongue:

Why wouldn't they, particularly in ooze form? All oozes have a slam attack, so it makes sense that Estilkian would have a slam attack in their ooze form. Without the slam attack the acid damage is essentially shoe-horning the race into monk if you want to utilize one of their most prominent features. Granting them a simple slam attack makes using the acid damage viable for far more classes, opening up the race to a lot more options.

That amount of control seems a bit much. That would be a feat, and would probably have prerequisites. An alchemical solution seems much better to me.

Remember the race already has a +2 LA, which puts them on the edge of unplayable as it is. Do they really need more penalties and hoops to jump through?

What about the following?

Attacks: Estilkian have a natural slam attack that deals 1d4 damage.

Amorphous Form (Ex): While estilkian most often live in a humanoid form, they are still oozes and can become a gelatinous puddle at will. As a full-round action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity, an estilkian may change their form to from an ooze-like blob to a humanoid body and back. Their malleable form grants them a +2 bonus on disguise checks.

Body of Goo (Ex): While not as impervious to harm as their simpler cousins due to their increased complexity, most attacks simply slosh through an estilkian, dealing less damage than they would to a more solid creature. Any damage dealt to an estilkian is reduced by half their Constitution modifier, to a minimum of 1 damage.

Controlled Acid (Ex): Like all oozes, estilkian have highly acidic body chemistry to aid in digestion. Estilkian have learned to use this natural acid offensively, secreting it through their "skin." Any unarmed, natural, or constrict attack made by estilkian deals acid damage equal to their Constitution modifier. This acid does not harm stone.

Constrict (Ex): An estilkian deals automatic slam and acid damage with a successful grapple check. The opponent’s clothing and armor take a -4 penalty on Reflex saves against the acid.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, an estilkian must be in its ooze-form and hit with its slam attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can constrict.

And then you can add some feats that allow them to change into other shapes, notably to gain various advantages (like natural attacks or flight or increased speed). This closely mirrors standard oozes in terms of acid and grappling (I'm assuming you wanted to be able to feel like you were really playing an ooze).

Lix Lorn
2012-02-09, 04:20 PM
Yep. Descriptions that stood out to me were "Estilkians often latch on to other beings and creatures," "Estilkians utter naivety helps them become accepted, but tends to work against them afterwards," and "When an Estilkian latches onto you, you had best hope they’re the lovable kind and not the annoying kind, because you’ll be hard pressed to get rid of them."

The first makes sense for young children, but once maturity is reached that trait feels far more disturbing. The second implies that this latching onto creatures can be seen as innocent and child-like at first, but swiftly becomes something aggravating. The third pushes the feel of a stalker home, in that regardless of how you feel about them, they'll continue to follow you and attempt to be involved in your life, regardless of how you feel about it.

It's the fact that they latch on and follow you regardless of how you feel about it that gives them the stalker feeling to me.
I was really just going for little sibling, but I guess I'll remove that line. The second thing you quoted is meant to be overall, and that it's bad for them, not for those they interact with. Edits have been made.

Why wouldn't they, particularly in ooze form? All oozes have a slam attack, so it makes sense that Estilkian would have a slam attack in their ooze form. Without the slam attack the acid damage is essentially shoe-horning the race into monk if you want to utilize one of their most prominent features. Granting them a simple slam attack makes using the acid damage viable for far more classes, opening up the race to a lot more options.
...I see no reason why they should, but I think I'm now being stubborn rather than actually arguing, so I'm going to take your advice anyway.

Remember the race already has a +2 LA, which puts them on the edge of unplayable as it is. Do they really need more penalties and hoops to jump through?
I decided it was too complicated and made it a fluff thing.

Amorphous Form (Ex): While estilkian most often live in a humanoid form, they are still oozes and can become a gelatinous puddle at will. As a full-round action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity, an estilkian may change their form to from an ooze-like blob to a humanoid body and back. Their malleable form grants them a +2 bonus on disguise checks.
I'm not sure I want that to be a base thing for them. Something they can do, yes, thus the feat, but not a base thing.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, an estilkian must be in its ooze-form and hit with its slam attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can constrict. [/INDENT]
Good ideas. I should have put them in. If you don't mind, I'll essentially just copy paste these.

And then you can add some feats that allow them to change into other shapes, notably to gain various advantages (like natural attacks or flight or increased speed). This closely mirrors standard oozes in terms of acid and grappling (I'm assuming you wanted to be able to feel like you were really playing an ooze).
Also good ideas, but I'll write the feats elsewhen. My head's not in the game. X_x

Soliloquy
2012-02-09, 05:30 PM
Have you ever read the v. 3.0 oozemaster prestige class?

Lix Lorn
2012-02-09, 07:10 PM
I have not.

Owrtho
2012-02-09, 07:35 PM
I'm not sure I want that to be a base thing for them. Something they can do, yes, thus the feat, but not a base thing.

Seeing as being made of ooze is one of the key abilities of an ooze, I'd suggest including such an ability by default, but perhaps have it come with a penalty that needs a feat to overcome. As an example, an inability to use equipment while in the puddle form, though they can still carry it. Also would likely need to note that if they are carrying large enough items they need to leave them behind when moving through small spaces.

Owrtho

Lix Lorn
2012-02-09, 09:33 PM
While they are made of ooze, I don't think they can control their bodies that much without effort and practice.

Soliloquy
2012-02-10, 11:58 AM
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD3e:Oozemaster
there you go.

Just an example of abilities you could give them.

Don't rule out abilities only gained at higher levels either, as those have been used for races and monsters in the books

Lix Lorn
2012-02-10, 01:06 PM
That's a pretty cool class, but I'm not sure what I could use from it.

Qwertystop
2012-02-10, 02:44 PM
Looks pretty cool. Definitely got the "little kid" image.

EDIT: If they tend toward short names, why is the species name so long? Irony?

urkthegurk
2012-02-10, 03:05 PM
Let me have a go.

Size: Medium Base Speed: 20 ft
+2 Dexterity, -2 Intelligence, -2 Cha
Ooze-like: The Estilkian are oozes, but with many attributes of a regular creatures, such as eyes and a nervous system. They get a +2 to resist Polymorph and stun, and are immune to Charm Person.
Amorphous Form: Estilkian get a +2 to escape artist and disguise checks.
Improved Grab: Estilkian are sticky and clingy. To use this ability, an estilkian must hit with an unarmed attack. They can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If they win the grapple check, they establish a hold.
Acidic Body: Estilkian get acid resistance 5. They also have a mild acid that coats their skin, dealing 1 point of acid damage with an unarmed or natural attack, and slowly corroding items of clothing.

The rest of their special abilities can be accessible as racial feats. I give them a ECL of +0 and a favoured class of rogue.

Lix Lorn
2012-02-10, 06:33 PM
Looks pretty cool. Definitely got the "little kid" image.

EDIT: If they tend toward short names, why is the species name so long? Irony?
Good!

Cause I came up with their name before writing that section. xD

Let me have a go.

Size: Medium Base Speed: 20 ft
+2 Dexterity, -2 Intelligence, -2 Cha
Ooze-like: The Estilkian are oozes, but with many attributes of a regular creatures, such as eyes and a nervous system. They get a +2 to resist Polymorph and stun, and are immune to Charm Person.
Amorphous Form: Estilkian get a +2 to escape artist and disguise checks.
Improved Grab: Estilkian are sticky and clingy. To use this ability, an estilkian must hit with an unarmed attack. They can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If they win the grapple check, they establish a hold.
Acidic Body: Estilkian get acid resistance 5. They also have a mild acid that coats their skin, dealing 1 point of acid damage with an unarmed or natural attack, and slowly corroding items of clothing.

The rest of their special abilities can be accessible as racial feats. I give them a ECL of +0 and a favoured class of rogue.
Ehhhh. It's a perfectly valid interpretation, but I wouldn't want to play it.

DracoDei
2012-02-11, 11:47 AM
Given you said you considered Warblade, but rejected it because of the INT penalty, and given you gave them monk, did you consider Swordsage as the favored class?

Lix Lorn
2012-02-11, 12:02 PM
Given you said you considered Warblade, but rejected it because of the INT penalty, and given you gave them monk, did you consider Swordsage as the favored class?
...I didn't, and I don't know why. That fits much, much better.

urkthegurk
2012-02-13, 01:48 PM
Ehhhh. It's a perfectly valid interpretation, but I wouldn't want to play it.

That's because its the BEST, and is reserved only for ME

Lix Lorn
2012-02-13, 04:39 PM
I... see... xD

Merchant
2012-02-14, 03:29 AM
Ten points out of .... X . Where X is the number of lands untapped this round.

Anywho. I love the race. Would like some racial feats but I guess you can get help with that. I liked your tentacular race as well. Sorry forgot the name.

I'm all for new homebrewed races, especially monster based. Saying that i love the Monster classes that people like Hyudra are making as well.

Good job. Saving this page for later use. Thanks Lix Lorn.

Lix Lorn
2012-02-14, 12:04 PM
Ten points out of .... X . Where X is the number of lands untapped this round.

Anywho. I love the race. Would like some racial feats but I guess you can get help with that. I liked your tentacular race as well. Sorry forgot the name.

I'm all for new homebrewed races, especially monster based. Saying that i love the Monster classes that people like Hyudra are making as well.

Good job. Saving this page for later use. Thanks Lix Lorn.

3R. :3

Thanks! I can probably do some feats if you tell me what you're looking for!
The name WAS Tentacular. ;P

And thanks!

Merchant
2012-02-15, 01:40 AM
Feat I
The ability to extend their reach.
could take it multiple times. max = one of their attributes Con or Charisma
Feat II
Insta Grab: Condense your oozy body when weapon strikes and disarm attempt. Not sure but maybe you get a bonus to the disarm attempt if you take no damage.

Lix Lorn
2012-02-15, 01:12 PM
I like the second one!