PDA

View Full Version : Swashbuckler Help

JamesW
2012-02-09, 03:40 AM
Hi everyone! I'm having a bit of trouble locating a good guide on how to build a effective swashbuckler.

If it helps these are my stats.

Race: Strongheart Halfling (For the Feat)
Str: 10
Dex: 18
Con: 12
Int: 14
Wis: 12
Cha: 14

I'm starting out at level 2. But any help would be appreciated.

Is the best swashbuckler template from Complete Warrior?

Also, I've heard that the swashbuckler class can be really good. But just looking it it's abilities I'm having a hard time finding out how. Is it feat based? Skill based? Cross-classing that helps?

Thanks again!

Tvtyrant
2012-02-09, 03:45 AM
I'm going to be swordsage.

I believe that the reason it is considered so good is that it grants the user int to damage fairly early on, which makes it a good dip for classes such as the Factotum or for int based casters. Insightful Strike isn't the greatest ability ever, but it works well with certain builds as a dip.

Drelua
2012-02-09, 03:46 AM
The best way to build a Swashbuckler is by taking 4 levels of Rogue and the feat Daring Outlaw from Complete Scoundrel. It requires 2d6 Sneak Attack and Grace +1, and lets Rogue and Swashbuckler levels stack for those. Of course, you could just take 3 rogue levels, but rogue 4 doesn't cost you anything and Uncanny Dodge is both useful and thematically appropriate for a Swashbuckler.

sonofzeal
2012-02-09, 05:18 AM
Also, I've heard that the swashbuckler class can be really good.
Er, the Tier system clocks it in at T5, which is pretty low. I've been around for quite some time, and I've never heard much praise for the class, and more than a few complaints. It's usually considered a 3-level dip - Int-to-damage is useful on many builds, and you can get some nice class skills while you're at it without sacrificing BAB, but the rest of the class leaves much to be desired.

Daring Outlaw is the canonical fix. That, or multiclass out as soon as you've got that third level. Or just crack open Tome of Battle and play a Swordsage or Warblade that focuses on Diamond Mind.

Mystral
2012-02-09, 07:42 AM
Daring Outlaw with rogue works quite well, at least in low to mid op. It's not stellar, but still works.

Venger
2012-02-09, 09:36 AM
Look into methods of dealing precision damage to Constructs, Plants and Undead though, cause you'll have trouble here.

penetrating strike

Venger
2012-02-09, 12:38 PM
Aye. That was my first thought too. There are some ACFs and Weapon Crystals in MiC that will help here as well. All good ideas to look into.

truedeath crystal's good for undead. I think there's a "golembane" crystal that does the same thing for constructs but I can't quite remember.

Igneel
2012-02-09, 12:45 PM
truedeath crystal's good for undead. I think there's a "golembane" crystal that does the same thing for constructs but I can't quite remember.

Demolition if I recall. Using the Truedeath and Demolition as guidelines, you could ask the Dm about making ones that effect plants and other things you have to worry about.

If you weren't at level 2 I would of pointed out a commonly over looked magic weapon in FR: Serpent Kingdom that I find most interesting to have altered onto other weapons. Its called the Manyfang dagger which for a +1 dagger that costs 32,302 gp, whenever you would hit an enemy three 'phantom' blades appear along with the original blade and hit the target at the same time [I assume you have to roll the damage separately] and then 'wink' out after the hit, effectively x4 your damage on a normal hit and x8 for a critical.

Igneel
2012-02-09, 01:10 PM
Penetrating Strike is sufficient for plants, I would think. There aren't an awful lot of them. Constructs and Undead are more common in my experience, so as long as you're prepared for those you'll do alright. Carry Alchemists Fire for plants as another option.

Penetrating Strike does indeed work on anything immune to Critical hits, but the majority of my point on making alternate crystals was for things like oozes, aberrations, and maybe even swarms since Dungeonscape does have a enhancement for armor and weapons to protect from/deal damage to swarms.

Another thought besides Alchemist's Fire is Defoliator from Arms and Equipment. For 20 gp ea, you essentially have a 'Get out of Entangle spell' free card since it outright kills normal plants, a 2d4 damage to plant creature, and damages wooden objects like doors but hardness applies.
Stonebreaker acid from the same book at the same price ignores hardness, deals 3d10 + 2d10 the next round on a successful hit against objects weak against acid like stone which includes most constructs.

gbprime
2012-02-09, 01:18 PM
For lower powered campaigns that might worry about the Swashbuckler/Rogue's damage output, you can always add in Duelist instead.

Rogue 4 / Swash 6 / Duelist 10

Your sneak attack dice cap at 5d6, but you add 2 more dice of precision damage and you hook up INT to your armor class.

For a time I was also salavating over mixing in the Citadel Elite PrC from the Sharn sourcebook... until I read the errata. Then I just cried. :smallsigh:

Greenish
2012-02-09, 02:28 PM
For a time I was also salavating over mixing in the Citadel Elite PrC from the Sharn sourcebook... until I read the errata. Then I just cried. :smallsigh:There is no errata for Citadel Elite.

*sticks fingers into ears, closes eyes, starts to chant* There is no errata for Citadel Elite. There is no errata for Citadel Elite. There is no errata for Citadel Elite. There is no errata for Citadel Elite. There is no errata for Citadel Elite. There is no errata for Citadel Elite…

Igneel
2012-02-09, 02:44 PM
Aberrations are sneak attackable out of the box. Why do they need a crystal? Swarms and oozes can be a problem though. Good catch there.

I have no earthly idea why I included Aberrations... Just one of those days I guess.

gbprime
2012-02-09, 02:48 PM
I've never really seen a situation where a Swashbuckler had great damage output, even with the fistful of d6.

Then you haven't seen one played regularly. At 12th level you're easily looking at 3 attacks, 2 offhand attacks, and a bonus hasted attack each doing an extra 6d6 damage, plus another 2d6 damage for Deadly Precision weapons. And because you took Death's Ruin ACF with your rogue levels, you're doing half that to normally immune undead. And flanking something isn't hard, you even have the space to blow feats on Vexing and Adaptable Flanker if you're that worried about it.

Sure, that still leaves out constructs, elementals, oozes, plants, and swarms as being immune to your bonus damage, but if these are always your primary opponents then the DM is just out to negate sneak attack damage and you should consider playing another character. :smallconfused:

Greenish
2012-02-09, 03:46 PM
Then you haven't seen one played regularly. At 12th level you're easily looking at 3 attacks, 2 offhand attacks, and a bonus hasted attack each doing an extra 6d6 damage, plus another 2d6 damage for Deadly Precision weapons.Or maybe in his games, a dedicated melee character doing ~180 damage with a full attack if all attacks hit isn't considered "great".

Drelua
2012-02-09, 06:59 PM
What about a Rogue 4/Swashbuckler 3/Invisible Blade 5/+Swashbuckler? Keep in mind that Far Shot and Point Blank Shot were errata'ed out of the pre-reqs. With a pair of keen kukris or Improved Crit at level 9 and Telling Blow that could get pretty painful. Or maybe ask your DM about getting a pair of Collision Manyfang Daggers, and adding keen and/or wounding later. You'd have to see what sources of damage he'll allow to apply to the extra daggers; I'd see static bonuses but not dice, like a crit. Oh, and it's quintuple damage on a crit, not x8. Basically, the critical multiplier doesn't apply to the 3 extra daggers, and the CON damage from wounding probably shouldn't either. That just wouldn't be fair.

Venger
2012-02-09, 11:57 PM
I have no earthly idea why I included Aberrations... Just one of those days I guess.

you may have had an image of a gibbering mouther or chaos beast in your mind, both abberations who happen to have the no discernable anatomy SQ, rendering them immune to SAs. this isn't because they're aberrations, it's just because they have that ability.

Venger
2012-02-10, 12:02 AM
Keep in mind that Far Shot and Point Blank Shot were errata'ed out of the pre-reqs.

huh? no they weren't. they really should be, I'd love it if it were. the only printed errata regarding IB is giving it another kick in the balls by saying that its feint ability is only usable once a round. unless...

was there an errata to the errata?

I wouldn't be surprised

don't you forget about craven. if you've got SA, take it. free damage is great, and it uses your character lvl, so doesn't matter what you multiclass into

Drelua
2012-02-10, 01:20 AM
You're right, it's not in the errata, but I know I saw it somewhere. It might have been something the author said. I know the invisible blade was supposed to be a 10-level PrC originally, and it had some throwing-related abilities, and he forgot to fix the pre-reqs when he cut it down to 5. Wherever I saw it, your DM would almost certainly allow you to change it since those 2 feats have nothing to do with the class at all, especially only one of your three choices for Weapon Focus can be normally be thrown.

gbprime
2012-02-10, 11:26 AM
It also covers the fact that I tend to play intelligent creatures tactically. My monsters decide they don't like being flanked? They'll fight back to back.

That's why blowing feats to get up to Adaptable Flanker is so useful. It pretty much eats up all your other feats, though. Assuming human...

1 - Combat Reflexes
H - Vexing Flanker
3 - Two Weapon Fighting
6 - Daring Outlaw
9 - Adaptable Flanker
12- Improved Two Weapon Fighting

Greenish
2012-02-10, 11:34 AM
That's why blowing feats to get up to Adaptable Flanker is so useful.Why not Island of Blades? It leads nicely into Shadow Blade, too.

hex0
2012-02-10, 12:53 PM
Book list? What's the rest of the party?

Greenish
2012-02-10, 01:00 PM
Probably a good tactic. Sourcebook on the feats?PHBII.

No ToB at my table. Not because of some objection to the content (as is so often the case) but simply because nobody I play with owns the book, so nobody's familiar with the content. Which is too bad, I like what I've read around the forums.Alright then.

gbprime
2012-02-10, 05:32 PM
Why not Island of Blades? It leads nicely into Shadow Blade, too.

I'm assuming you want to avoid diluting your sneak attack damage by dipping into Swordsage. Given that, you need to spend 2 feats to get Island of Blades. Adaptable Flanker takes 1 more feat than that, but you get the benefit of +4 to hit when flanking (which you will be doing an awful lot of) and you already have Combat Reflexes, which means picking up Robilar's Gambit at 15 is a gimme. (Which ups your damage output even further.)

Greenish
2012-02-10, 06:34 PM
I'm assuming you want to avoid diluting your sneak attack damage by dipping into Swordsage. Given that, you need to spend 2 feats to get Island of Blades. Adaptable Flanker takes 1 more feat than that, but you get the benefit of +4 to hit when flanking (which you will be doing an awful lot of) and you already have Combat Reflexes, which means picking up Robilar's Gambit at 15 is a gimme. (Which ups your damage output even further.)Mmn, but Island of Blades is better than Adaptable Flanker, and Shadow Blade is pretty sweet, too. One level dip would certainly be worth it, should ToB be an option.

gbprime
2012-02-10, 10:32 PM
Mmn, but Island of Blades is better than Adaptable Flanker, and Shadow Blade is pretty sweet, too. One level dip would certainly be worth it, should ToB be an option.

Dipping ToB classes are usually not a bad thing, but you're overlooking one limitation in Island of Blades. It specifies that you and an ally must be ADJACENT to an enemy, rather than merely threatening it. So your Enlarged front line fighter type with the reach weapon who can hit someone 3 or 4 squares away must actually get within 1 square of the enemy to activate Island of Blades. That's limiting.

Ravens_cry
2012-02-10, 10:52 PM
How would Thug Sneak Attack Fighter do with Swashbuckler?

gbprime
2012-02-10, 11:43 PM
How would Thug Sneak Attack Fighter do with Swashbuckler?

Well once you've blended swash and rogue, you don't need the Thug(fighter). I suppose if you wanted to use smashy weapons instead of weapon finesse, the thug fulfills the same basic role in a single class, albeit a bit shy on skills.

Gavinfoxx
2012-02-11, 12:02 AM
Well once you've blended swash and rogue, you don't need the Thug(fighter). I suppose if you wanted to use smashy weapons instead of weapon finesse, the thug fulfills the same basic role in a single class, albeit a bit shy on skills.

I think he meant instead of Rogue. IE, Thug Sneak Attack Fighter 4/Swashbuckler 16 with Daring Outlaw.

gbprime
2012-02-11, 12:20 AM
I think he meant instead of Rogue. IE, Thug Sneak Attack Fighter 4/Swashbuckler 16 with Daring Outlaw.

Oh, well you definitely wouldn't want to do that. Daring outlaw stacks Rogue and Swashbuckler. Doesn't matter that Thug gets sneak attack LIKE a Rogue, it's not a Rogue so the levels don't stack.

Drelua
2012-02-11, 12:49 AM
Oh, well you definitely wouldn't want to do that. Daring outlaw stacks Rogue and Swashbuckler. Doesn't matter that Thug gets sneak attack LIKE a Rogue, it's not a Rogue so the levels don't stack.

What exactly does it mean when it says they stack? If you stack something that doesn't exist on top of something else, you still have the first thing. Is the term 'stack' clearly defined anywhere? It seems to me that you still get sneak attack from Swashbuckler levels if you have Daring Outlaw, but there's a very good chance I'm wrong. :smallwink:

Manateee
2012-02-11, 12:56 AM

Fighter 3/Swashbuckler 3 stacks its Rogue levels (0) with its Swashbuckler levels (3) for an effective Rogue level 3.

But unless you're using some really nice Fighter substitution levels (Zhenatarim ho), Rogue's probably way better anyway - even if all you're looking at is Penetrating Strike.

Gavinfoxx
2012-02-11, 02:55 PM
But unless you're using some really nice Fighter substitution levels (Zhenatarim ho)

Zhentarim, Dungeon Crasher, Thug, Physical Prowess, Hit And Run Fighter 3! =D

Greenish
2012-02-11, 03:36 PM
Zhentarim, Dungeon Crasher, Thug, Physical Prowess, Hit And Run Fighter 3! =DCan't get Dungeon Crasher, since that swaps out feats that you no longer have as an SA fighter (which you have to be to qualify for Daring Outlaw). Zhentarim only gets you Skill Focus: Intimidate, but that's better than nothing.

You could use exoticist (Dragon #310) for free EWPs, though. Exoticist, Thug, SA fighter, Physical Prowess, and Hit & Run Tactics all work together.

JamesW
2012-02-11, 10:20 PM
Holy Cow! Seems I hit the right moment to ask a question! These are some of the best responses I've gotten here in a long time! Thanks everyone!

This is not a set party - it is like the RPGA but within my club at college.

I am going Strongheart Halfling for sure. So I have the extra feat. All books are open to me if anything comes up that is not allowed I can ask for a special mission to be run to allow me to have access to the other classes.

So, Here is the build. Did I do this right?

Stats: Str: 10, Dex: 18, Con: 12, Int: 14, Wis: 12, Cha: 14

Level: 1 Rogue (For the 16 extra skill points) Combat Reflexes, Vexing Flanker
lvl 2: Swashbuckler
lvl 3: Two Weapon Fighting, Swashbuckler
lvl 4: Rogue, +1 Dex
lvl 5: Swashbuckler
lvl 6: Swashbuckler, Daring Outlaw
lvl 7: Swashbuckler
lvl 8: Swashbuckler, +1 Dex
lvl 9: Swashbuckler, Adaptable Flanker
lvl 10: Swashbuckler
lvl 11: Swashbuckler
lvl 12: Swashbuckler, +1 Dex, Improved Two Weapon Fighting

10 Swashbuckler / 2 Rogue
+6d6 sneak attack damage

Does Improved Flanking stack with Vexing Flanker for +8 while flanking?

I will be +11/+6/+1

How do off-hand attacks work in relation to this? gbprime says I'll have two off-hand attacks.

Where does the 2d6 Precision damage come from that gbprime mentions?

What type of weapon enchantments should I am to get? A crystal of true death should not be too hard to gain access to. But what else should I aim for?

Also, I want to use a rapier. What would be the best off-hand weapon to get?

Thanks again everyone!

Greenish
2012-02-11, 10:49 PM
You don't qualify for Daring Outlaw with just two levels of rogue, you'll need three. Which isn't a bad thing, since you can grab one of those 1/2 SA vs. crit immune ACFs, like Lightbringer (EtCR) or Penetrating Strike (DS).

JamesW
2012-02-12, 03:57 AM
Okay fixed.

Level: 1 Rogue (For the 16 extra skill points) Combat Reflexes, Vexing Flanker
lvl 2: Swashbuckler
lvl 3: Two Weapon Fighting, Swashbuckler
lvl 4: Rogue, +1 Dex
lvl 5: Rogue(ACF Dungeonscape: Penetrating Strike)
lvl 6: Swashbuckler, Daring Outlaw
lvl 7: Swashbuckler
lvl 8: Swashbuckler, +1 Dex
lvl 9: Swashbuckler, Adaptable Flanker
lvl 10: Swashbuckler
lvl 11: Swashbuckler
lvl 12: Swashbuckler, +1 Dex, Improved Two Weapon Fighting

But I still have the following questions.

I will be +11/+6/+1

How do off-hand attacks work in relation to this? gbprime says I'll have two off-hand attacks.

What type of weapon enchantments should I am to get? A crystal of true death should not be too hard to gain access to. But what else should I aim for?

Thanks again everyone! I really appreciate all the help here!

Greenish
2012-02-12, 04:44 AM

I will be +11/+6/+1

Also, I want to use a rapier. What would be the best off-hand weapon to get?RAW, no stacking, RAI, probably +6 (+2 default, +2 Imp. Flanking, +2 Vexing Flanker).

If you have ITWF, you get offhand attacks at Full BAB and Full BAB-5. Obviously, with -2 from TWF to all attacks. In effect, you get +9/+4/-1 main hand attacks and +9/+4 offhand attacks (not counting bonuses to hit from sources other than BAB).

Deadly Precision weapon enhancement from Complete Adventurer gives you +2d6. The reprint in MIC only gives +1d6 (but is cheaper, being only +1 equivalent).

Keen, elemental damage or deadly precision aren't bad.

A light martial weapon, most likely. Short sword or kukri.

JamesW
2012-02-12, 11:10 AM
I was told that crits do not multiply sneak attack damage. Is this true? If so, I might as well go with what I was planning...

Heavenly Burst, Holy or Heavenly if it is the same in the MIC for +1 instead of +2, and Sacred.

I'm making the character based off of Puss in Boots. "Defends Justice and protects the innocent" type character so he is Lawful Good.

Against evil monsters I should be a wrecking ball.. against neutral monsters I still have the like 6d6 sneak attack damage and half that on things that can't be crit and 5 attacks a round at level 12. I think this will work nicely!

Why this class is Tier 5... I don't understand at all.. It seems to be quite solid to me.

Thanks again!

Drelua
2012-02-12, 11:46 AM
A high threat range is good for any Sneak Attack-focused build if you can take the feat Telling Blow, which I think I mentioned earlier. It lets you add you SA damage to all critical hits, and Sneak Attack is the only pre-req. It's really helpful not having to rely on flanking.

Gavinfoxx
2012-02-12, 03:45 PM
A high threat range is good for any Sneak Attack-focused build if you can take the feat Telling Blow, which I think I mentioned earlier. It lets you add you SA damage to all critical hits, and Sneak Attack is the only pre-req. It's really helpful not having to rely on flanking.

The thing is, a good rogue DOESN'T rely on flanking. There is a seriously large amount of things you can do to turn on your sneak attack...

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157722

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8711233

Drelua
2012-02-12, 03:53 PM
The thing is, a good rogue DOESN'T rely on flanking. There is a seriously large amount of things you can do to turn on your sneak attack...

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157722

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8711233

Uh, yeah, I worded that badly. :smallredface: I meant to say that it's an easy way to get some of your Sneak Attack damage when you don't have another method ready at the moment. Flanking being the easiest and most common option in my experience, it kinda sneaked in there and attacked my sentence.

JamesW
2012-02-12, 04:53 PM
Telling Blow:

When you strike an opponent's vital areas, you draw on your ability to land crippling blows to make the most of your attack.

Prerequisite: Skirmish or sneak attack ability,

Benefit: When you score a critical hit against a target, you deal your skirmish or sneak attack damage in addition to the damage from your critical hit. Your critical multiplier applies only to your normal damage, not your skirmish or sneak attack damage. This benefit affects both melee and ranged attacks.

Ummm question!

The way I read this it says that when I crit I get to add my sneak attack damage to the damage from my crit damage from the weapon. But that the multiplier only applies to normal damage not the sneak or skirmish damage...

Does this mean to say that when I crit with a weapon against an opponent that I can use my sneak attack damage, I don't normally get the sneak attack damage?

hex0
2012-02-12, 05:00 PM
Does this mean to say that when I crit with a weapon against an opponent that I can use my sneak attack damage, I don't normally get the sneak attack damage?

If you deal a critical hit on a sneak attack you don't get it twice.

Gavinfoxx
2012-02-12, 10:25 PM
Also, because of a slight change in wording (like, two words are different; look at the two passages side by side to see what i mean), the Ravenloft version of the ACF is better than the Dungeonscape version.

playswithfire
2012-02-13, 12:04 AM
What about a Rogue 4/Swashbuckler 3/Invisible Blade 5/+Swashbuckler? Keep in mind that Far Shot and Point Blank Shot were errata'ed out of the pre-reqs.
huh? no they weren't. they really should be, I'd love it if it were. the only printed errata regarding IB is giving it another kick in the balls by saying that its feint ability is only usable once a round. unless...

was there an errata to the errata?

I wouldn't be surprised
It's not quite an errata, but what Drelua might be talking about is this (http://web.archive.org/web/20090603010607/http://wakinglands.com/htm_files/prestige_classes_invisible_blade.htm), which, as I understand it, is the original form of the invisible blade before it was split up into Invisible Blade and Master thrower from the site (sorry for the archive.org wayback machine link, but the site seems to be down) of the guy who wrote it. Though it still has Point Blank Shot as a prereq, just not Far Shot; has Weapon Finesse instead, which, of course, Swashbucklers get for free.

If ToB were possible, I might suggest: Rogue 2/Swashbuckler 2/Swordsage 1/Invisible Blade 1/Swashbuckler+1/Swordsage+1/Invisible Blade and/or Swashbuckler+X
Taking Point Blank Shot at first level, Daring Outlaw at 6th (you'll have 2d6 sneak thanks to Invisible Blade) and Carmendine Monk at 9, leaving your 3rd level feat, bonus feat for human/strongheart halfling and any flaw feats open for TWF, Craven, whatever you like.
At 9th level, you'd have 6d6 sneak attack (3 from stacking 2 rogue and 3 swashbuckler levels, 1 from invisible blade and 2 from Assassin's Stance) and INT to AC in light armor* and to damage with finessable weapons, which you'd be using (kukris or daggers).
* as you level in invisible blade, you can also opt to go armorless and have INT to AC twice thanks to unfettered defense

Dumbledore lives
2012-02-13, 01:36 AM
Why this class is Tier 5... I don't understand at all.. It seems to be quite solid to me.

Well right now you're basically gestalting it with rogue, but without the skill points, so it becomes a decent class. On its own it is significantly work, with no real decent class features past level 3. It just doesn't have much going for it past the early levels.

Roc Ness
2012-02-13, 01:50 AM
It may be worth your time to take a look at Samm's Homebrew Swashbuckler (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155012).

I've always found it to be simple and enjoyable. To put it shortly, it's like a daring outlaw, but with actual, and exceedingly useful, swashbuckler-themed abilities (such as Taunt), and doesn't require any multiclassing whatsoever. :smallsmile:

Igneel
2012-02-13, 02:13 AM

*Enhancements
I personally like to go for a Magebane [Complete Arcane/MIC, +1] enhancement at some point before mid-game. The Complete Arcane version is better since it effects all arcane casters including Invocation users and creatures with arcane SLA. Considered to have a additional +2 enhancement bonus along with 2d6 extra damage to anything arcane is nice for a sneak attacker/warrior.
Smoking [Lords of Darkness (might be 3.0), +1] is a continuous concealment (20% miss chance) as you hide in smelly smoke without being affected including visually and opponents must save vs. nausea if they enter your square (not sure about you entering theirs). Concealment is always a nice thing to consider since your not exactly built like a dwarf in a tin can.
Eager or Warning [Arms and Equipment, +2/MIC, +1] for a typeless +2 to initiative you don't need to wield the weapon to gain (Eager) along with a different (insight I think?) +5 from Warning while holding the weapon to get the jump on any combat.

*Crystals
As mentioned earlier it might be a good idea to look into alternate version of the Truedeath crystal, even if it means asking the DM to semi-homebrew it. Namely one for Plants, Oozes, and Swarms if you can swing those. But as stated earlier these are probably going to be encountered less then Undead/Constructs, but when you do run into them... Swarms especially since you will need to rely on the spellcaster's ability to blast them away on account most swarms either take only partial damage from certain weapons (mostly piercing or slashing weapons) or take none at all from melee weapons.

[B]*Off-hand Weapon
If your DM isn't a stickler on where the item comes from setting-wise, then the Sun Sword (Expedition to Castle Ravenloft, 3000 gp) is a good choice. Its basically the no-frills version of this (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#sunBlade) weapon, being a +1 bastard sword that can be wielded as a short sword, making it an excellent and affordable off-hand weapon. Heck, might even be worthy enough to dual-wield a pair for dual 2d6 damage+Swash/Rogue bonus damage.

JamesW
2012-02-13, 05:02 AM
Hmmm Thanks a bunch everyone!

I think I'm pretty much set on how I want to run him now.

^_^