PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Heads and Polymorph

VeGaS1986
2012-02-09, 12:00 PM
A while back while DMing a player wanted to do the old Hydra polymorph thing. Now at the time this was new to me and before I even knew what the power of this use would be I decided he wouldnt be able to do it. Ive later found theres a whole debate about this in regards to RAW and such things but my main reason for disallowing it is this. If you have one head, you have one mind...yes yes I know theres probably some DnD critter out there that flies in the face of that statement, but for the waaaaast majority of cases the statement is true. Now if you were to suddenly be in a form with not one set of eyes, ears, a nose and a mouth, but TWELVE...would you be able to control them? Would you be able to even keep your orientation from all the cognitive imput? Would you go insane?

Anyway that was my argument. Now my player didnt mind terrible on that ruling but now im curious what other ppl think of this. Ofc theres no rules basis in this but id like to hear if ppl agree or possible have a counter argument using "realism" (Yeah I know lol).

Aaaand.....GO!!!

Urpriest
2012-02-09, 12:30 PM
Hydras also only have one mind, as evidenced by the fact that Dominate Monster works no differently on them than on one-headed creatures.

VeGaS1986
2012-02-09, 01:00 PM
A Hydra is used to being a Hydra though :smallwink:

Brock Samson
2012-02-09, 01:09 PM
Make him spend time in the form to get used to it?

Ursus the Grim
2012-02-09, 01:16 PM
As you suggested, there really isn't much precedent for that ruling. You'd theoretically have issues with your senses in any form other than your own. How do you know how to flap your wings when you turn into a bird if you've never had wings? How do you know how to swim when you turn into a porpoise. How do you interpret those smells when you gain the keen scent of a dog or wolf?

I mean, if you're going to rule that nerf for polymorph-type effects, its cool, but you can't be terribly selective with it. Heck, if we're concerned with realism, we've got to throw half of the game out the window, and all of the spellbook.

Chronos
2012-02-09, 01:24 PM
Do the rules still have provision for disorientation in an unfamiliar form? They did in 3.0, at least. It seems a straightforward extension to say that some forms are more unfamiliar than others.

VeGaS1986
2012-02-09, 01:51 PM
As you suggested, there really isn't much precedent for that ruling. You'd theoretically have issues with your senses in any form other than your own. How do you know how to flap your wings when you turn into a bird if you've never had wings? How do you know how to swim when you turn into a porpoise. How do you interpret those smells when you gain the keen scent of a dog or wolf?

I mean, if you're going to rule that nerf for polymorph-type effects, its cool, but you can't be terribly selective with it. Heck, if we're concerned with realism, we've got to throw half of the game out the window, and all of the spellbook.

I actually agree with your points here for the most part, heck in a marut battle our Sword Sage tried to use the Scent stance to help him when he was blinded and deafened, but factoring the smell of allies and surrounding I didnt allow what he had hoped for...If he used the stance to track by scent I would allow it, since you can take your time with it fx. Keep in mind he had hardly used the stance at all before this. If he had trundled around in that stance for a few weeks getting used to the advance sence of smell I would probably have allowed it. (off topic, how the hell do I get dog like sences from standing a certain way? ToB really needs to make up its mind wether this crap is supernatural or not, afaik it isnt, which makes no goddam sence)

Also I wouldnt be too bother with someone polymorphing into an ettin for example, since its "only" two heads. It would probably be a weird and possibly sorta uncomfortable experience though.

Im mostly concerned with the extremes, like the hydra.

Endarire
2012-02-09, 01:55 PM
What is polymorph? Magic. What does magic do? Everything better.

So, by RAW, the target simply knows what's going on. He knows how to use body parts he's never had. There is no disorientation.