View Full Version : Most vital pathfinder supplements?

JackRackham
2012-02-09, 12:55 PM
I'm looking into pathfinder and I was wondering which supplements were the most vital to the system and character creation. Any opinions?

Psyren
2012-02-09, 12:59 PM
None are really vital - the whole thing is legally and freely available online. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/) So just buy the books that will make things easier for you at the gaming table.

For myself, I'd buy things like status cards and adventure paths.

JackRackham
2012-02-09, 01:22 PM
Nice. I'd still like to know what books some of the supplementary races and classes are in if anybody knows.

Mustard
2012-02-09, 02:00 PM
What I (and I think many others), consider "expanded core":
Core Rulebook - Roughly the PF equivalent of core D&D and all the basic PC races
Advanced Player's Guide - Mostly Paizo-original classes, feats, spells, and the first archetypes, among other things.
Ultimate Magic - Magus class, archetypes for spellcasters, feats for spellcasters, and spells
Ultimate Combat - Gunslinger class, Ninja and Samurai alternate classes, archetypes mostly for martial types (but not exclusively; includes paladin, ranger, and even a couple wizard archetypes), and mundane to slightly magicky feats, and spells (yes, spells).
Bestiaries - creatures, including all of the races with "for use as PCs" rules.

Official PRD: paizo.com/prd - Organized by book, best for looking up rules to make an "official" decision or rules argument.
Unofficial PFSRD: d20pfsrd.com - Organized by content, so it's much more usable, best for looking at what's available. Includes pretty much all Paizo content, and shows you sources, so you can ignore what's not allowed, etc. Beware, though, that mistakes crop up from time-to time, and their auto-hyperlinker was over-sensitive, and links things that are only incidental, and therefore cause confusion by implying a non-existent association.

Edit: some corrections, added the PRD/PFSRD notes.

jmelesky
2012-02-09, 02:02 PM
The main expansions are: The Advanced Players Guide, Ultimate Magic, and Ultimate Combat. The Bestiary's have additional feats, and racial stats for non-core races. Finally, many of Paizo's modules and campaign setting books include feats, prestige classes, or similar small additions.

But the vast majority are in Core, APG, UM, and UC. Use the online source for anything more (also note that the online source tends to have errata and FAQ updates included, whereas the paper texts may not, depending on print run).

Finally, some time this year, Paizo is coming out with the Advanced Races Guide, which looks like it will offer "build your own" races (in a point system like the old 2ed Skills & Powers).

Hope that helps.

JackRackham
2012-02-09, 08:21 PM
Thanks, guys.

ericgrau
2012-02-09, 11:16 PM
If you already play 3.5 most of the actual gameplay is similar. Mostly it's the minor differences during character creation, spell differences, and combat maneuvers. Though most of that last item was made simpler.

The biggest book is the APG because that's where the major new material comes that isn't just a 3.5 rehash. The classes, feats and spells in it are nice. UC and UM help a little more, as do the other books mentioned. I didn't even bother with a core rulebook I just used my 3.5 PHB and an APG and borrowed the core rulebook for the minor differences when I really needed to, or used the online SRD.