PDA

View Full Version : PF- Scrollmaster...What?

NeoSeraphi
2012-02-09, 01:43 PM
What is this madness? (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/wizard/archetypes/paizo---wizard-archetypes/scrollmaster)

On the one hand...it's a terrible idea. On the other hand...it's so freaking amazing. Like, it would be the absolute worst build ever, but I would respect the guy who played it so much, and it makes me happy to know that someone actually made it.

Has anyone ever actually played one of these?

stack
2012-02-09, 02:10 PM
Well, getting to use your own stats and level to set DC's and effects makes using low-level scrolls much more efficient. Other than that...it would look very silly. Plus your 'weapons' would get sundered by a strong breeze.

jmelesky
2012-02-09, 02:13 PM
Yeah, i've marvelled at that archetype, myself. The 10th-level ability is actually really useful. The scroll-based swordplay is, well, you get it at 1st level, when the gap between BABs isn't that big, so i can see it being useful there.

Since the sword/shield abilities are both 1st-level, it seems extremely dippable, except i have no idea what other class would benefit from this. Clerics, maybe? As part of a rather odd Mystic Theurge build?

It seems a bit monkish, but, of course, scrolls aren't exactly flurryable weapons.

It's ... just really odd. But, indeed, quite awesome.

NeoSeraphi
2012-02-09, 02:16 PM
I kind of wish there was like a 4th level ability or something that let you wear a bunch of scrolls as "armor". Gives you an armor bonus to your AC, same as the shield, but requires like five scrolls if you're Medium and more or less depending on your size.

I guess paper cuts really are deadly. :smallamused:

Mustard
2012-02-09, 02:24 PM
I thought it was absolutely crazy when I first read it, but I figure what you'd do is just ignore the fact you can wield scrolls as a weapon and shield, and focus purely on the Improved Scroll Casting feature, until one of the supported weapon/armor properties randomly becomes useful (say, ghost touch).

But yeah, it's weird. Now what would be awesome, is if the scroll could have the spell-storing property, storing itself. Then all those pluses to attack, and the reach, could be useful.

Blisstake
2012-02-09, 02:26 PM
The strange thing is, it's not really a horrible archetype, if only because what it gives up is limited. It loses arcane bond (which sucks, but isn't too bad to give up) for both the scroll shield and scroll sword abilities. The scroll sword is maybe only useful first level or so, but the shield can come in a lot of handy later to give yourself a nice bonus to AC (wizards can get theirs pretty high if they try), or fortify yourself against critical hits. I think it also means you can have two scrolls at the ready, instead of having to go through your things to cast them.

The tenth level ability is also pretty sweet. This class might have some nice synergy with Cyphermage.

Although I have to admit, this is probably the most WTF class out there :smallbiggrin:

CTrees
2012-02-09, 03:56 PM
This is one I've looked at for NPCs. Imagine the party kicking down a door in a cult stronghold and seeing a half dozen of these guys. It'd be entertaining, at least! Also, if the PCs realized what this archetype was and what it did, it'd be fascinating to see how they aproached the fight, so as to minimize the number of scrolls destroyed in combat.

Fruchtkracher
2012-02-09, 04:43 PM
Unless I'm mistaken - how does the first ability help at low levels? All your level-1-scrolls are destroyed after the first hit, and those of higher levels don't last that much longer.

Am I missing something?

Crasical
2012-02-09, 04:45 PM
Have at thee, sirrah!
http://img.izismile.com/img/img4/20110713/640/gorgeous_dollar_bill_origami_art_640_19.jpg

Need_A_Life
2012-02-09, 05:22 PM
Unless I'm mistaken - how does the first ability help at low levels? All your level-1-scrolls are destroyed after the first hit, and those of higher levels don't last that much longer.

Am I missing something?

That you can still use them as scrolls. The scrolls aren't destroyed by my reading, just your ability to stab people with them. So... free weapons!

Person_Man
2012-02-09, 05:30 PM
Apparently the Pathfinder design staff watches Thundercats, because an entire episode (http://thundercats.wikia.com/wiki/The_Forest_Of_Magi_Oar_%28episode%29) revolved around "Wood Forgers" who use magic paper/scrolls in anime style combat.

I approve!

Psyren
2012-02-09, 05:31 PM
You know, every time I think I've seen the wackiest PF archetype to date I'm happily proven wrong :smallsmile:

BRB while I crib these ideas onto my Shugenja and Wu Jen

TheHarshax
2012-02-09, 05:34 PM
Wasn't G Gordon Liddy interviewed on a late night talk show, and explained how to kill someone with a rolled-up newspaper?

Mystify
2012-02-09, 05:38 PM
One interesting effect is that you can use scrolls to make attack ops.

RndmNumGen
2012-02-09, 05:40 PM
That you can still use them as scrolls. The scrolls aren't destroyed by my reading, just your ability to stab people with them. So... free weapons!

Well... actually:

When its hit points reach 0, the scroll is destroyed.

This creates a paradox, with scrolls that contain only cantrips starting with 0 HP but counting as masterwork weapons.

Crasical
2012-02-09, 06:18 PM
You know, every time I think I've seen the wackiest PF archetype to date I'm happily proven wrong :smallsmile:

Are you aware that Goblin Alchemists get a point of DR vs. Fire as their favored class option? So at level 6 and above, there is almost no reason -not- to be on fire at all times?

Granted, not an archetype, but still very wacky.

Chained Birds
2012-02-10, 12:40 AM
Are you aware that Goblin Alchemists get a point of DR vs. Fire as their favored class option? So at level 6 and above, there is almost no reason -not- to be on fire at all times?

Granted, not an archetype, but still very wacky.

Not to mention a Goblin Rogue can get into both Assassin and Shadow Dancer by level 4 due to gaining RANKS in either Stealth or Ride as its favored class option.

Man, Goblins have been getting really powerful in PF. I would be scared out of my mind if I saw a Goblin with a scroll in his hand using it as a sword. And in the next room I actually encounter the Scroll Master Wizard.

Mystify
2012-02-10, 12:49 AM
I think it would be highly amusing to dip this for 1 level and then put a martial build on top. The wizard gives him the scrolls, he fights with them till they are withing 1 hp of breaking, then gives them back to the wizard to cast from.
Somewhat impractical, yes, but workable. You would want to focus on a few, strong strikes to make them last as long as possible.

NamelessNPC
2012-02-10, 12:55 AM
Wow, I hadn't seen the goblins' favored class options. They are strange. The rogue option is strictly worse than the normal +1 skill.

Also, goblin sorcerers, nice

Strormer
2012-02-10, 01:26 AM
Obligatory (http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/lt/rod.jpg)
That said, I'd sure love some way to make the scrolls viable at higher levels. This would look of pure awesome in my head. Incidentally, I'd love to try the group of these guys in a room thing just to see my players' reactions. :smalltongue:

NeoSeraphi
2012-02-10, 01:43 AM
Obligatory (http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/lt/rod.jpg)
That said, I'd sure love some way to make the scrolls viable at higher levels. This would look of pure awesome in my head. Incidentally, I'd love to try the group of these guys in a room thing just to see my players' reactions. :smalltongue:

Indeed. "And as the warriors advance on you, blades of parchment in hand," "Wait what?" "And shields of paper at the ready," "Huh?" "They charge, waving their scroll blades at you viciously!" ":smalleek: WHAT?"