PDA

View Full Version : Can't post?

Wyntonian
2012-02-09, 02:22 PM
Today, after selecting and compiling a list of monsters for my worldbuilding project (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193582)that took about 45 minutes, I tried to post. I got the following message.

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /forums/newreply.php on this server.

I was able to post in another thread just fine, but despite three tries I couldn't get that one post to go through on that thread. Am I "doin it rong" Or has my account been partially disabled or what? I'd really like to not have to move all my work to another forum, but if I can't do any new posts I'll have to.

Zherog
2012-02-09, 02:26 PM
Is the lynx on your list, by any chance?

Wyntonian
2012-02-09, 02:34 PM
The Swamplight (or whatever) Lynx? Yes, it is. I spent a long while compiling appropriate monsters from MMII and annotating the list and it won't let me post it.:smallannoyed:

Zherog
2012-02-09, 02:44 PM
Because of security measures on the server that are outside of the control of the site admins, if your post contains the word "lynx" followed by a space*, you'll get that error message. Alter your entry so that it looks like this:

lynx

And you'll be fine. (To see it in action, quote my first post in this thread; that's what I did up there.)

* There's a few other things that the server host filters. I don't recall what they are, but the lynx issue seems to be far and away the most common.

Wyntonian
2012-02-09, 02:50 PM
I honestly thought you were kidding when I first read this. I'll give it a shot but... Why? I could understand if it was a racial slur, but all my google-fu has found is that it's a type of cat and a browser.

EDIT: It now works. Huh.

Zherog
2012-02-09, 03:03 PM
It's not the forum software that filters it. It's done at the server host level. The lynx software can be used as a vulnerability point to allow hackers in, and so the host ever-so-thoughtfully "filters" all the traffic for its sites looking for this and other vulnerabilities. The fact that our server doesn't even have lynx installed doesn't seem to matter to the hosts - they continue to filter it, and cause this problem.

Glad your problem is resolved.

Wyntonian
2012-02-09, 03:29 PM
Hey, thanks. I really do appreciate your help.

Rawhide
2012-02-10, 06:29 AM
Question asked, question answered. Thread closed.