PDA

View Full Version : The Order of the Stick Video game

inEarthCEO
2012-02-09, 04:10 PM
I can't wait to read this comic and have pledged. What I'm wondering is, would people be interested in a game based on this comic? Kinda like Battleheart? for all platforms.

I very much want to build this game for everyone.

The Derider
2012-02-09, 04:42 PM
I'd be very interested in any new OOTS project, but I believe The Giant has stated in an interview that he has turned down offers for an OOTS animated series in part because he would need to relinquish some degree of creative control, and he did not wish to do this. I have to imagine a game would be very much the same issue. Just as an FYI. :smallsmile: I certainly don't want to speak for the man or anything though. If you prepared a proposal and presented it professionally, that seems like it would be the best way to go.

Dr. Gamera
2012-02-09, 05:09 PM
If I had infinite amounts of time, I would implement the rules of The Order of the Stick Adventure Game as software, excising all of the copyrighted content and replacing it with placeholders. Then I would email Rich and say, "Okay, I've done this, here it is, try it out, do you want to add the copyrighted content and release it commercially?" Then he would either say, "Yes, let's do it!" or "No, go away!"

Unfortunately I fear that in my case, that scenario only exists in the Happy Fun Sunshine Land (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0578.html) fantasy where I have infinite amounts of time, as opposed to a ton of other software I need to work on instead. But perhaps there's another capable programmer who could tackle the problem. Not sure whether or not that's a realistic scenario for inEarth, Neil.

To answer your original question, I've played Battleheart a bit and would be mildly interested in such an OotS game. But I'd be more interested in a software version of the The Order of the Stick Adventure Game. Obviously, what matters a lot more than my interest is Rich's interest.

Hope you enjoy the comic!

Howler Dagger
2012-02-09, 05:25 PM
The closest we have so far is the OOTS mod for Mount&Blade, by Arcane Saint.

RndmNumGen
2012-02-09, 05:31 PM
The closest we have so far is the OOTS mod for Mount&Blade, by Arcane Saint.

Wait, what? When did this happen? More importantly, where can I find it?

Vahir
2012-02-09, 07:06 PM
Could they use DnD monsters for a TOoTS game? It seems like something considered more than parody. Plus, I don't see it as a game.

Hypothetically, though, I would want a game sort of like this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penny_Arcade_Adventures:_On_the_Rain-Slick_Precipice_of_Darkness), with a big focus on humor.

ThePhantasm
2012-02-09, 07:10 PM
I can't wait to read this comic and have pledged. What I'm wondering is, would people be interested in a game based on this comic? Kinda like Battleheart? for all platforms.

If you want to pursue a project like this, you should really be asking Rich first, not us.

NerfTW
2012-02-09, 08:46 PM
I can't wait to read this comic and have pledged.

So read it? It's all online right now...

What I'm wondering is, would people be interested in a game based on this comic? Kinda like Battleheart? for all platforms.

And yet your previous line says you haven't even read the comic, so why would you want to build a game for something you know nothing about?

Your username says "inGameCEO", yet there's no way you have any business experience if you think coming onto a forum and asking the fans if they want you to make a game for a property you don't own is any way to go about it.

If you want to make a game, you should be privately contacting Rich Burlew. If you don't know how to do that, then you have no business making a business proposition to him, let alone asking his fans if they want you to make a game.

skaddix
2012-02-09, 08:53 PM
Could they use DnD monsters for a TOoTS game? It seems like something considered more than parody. Plus, I don't see it as a game.

Hypothetically, though, I would want a game sort of like this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penny_Arcade_Adventures:_On_the_Rain-Slick_Precipice_of_Darkness), with a big focus on humor.

They should be able to. Most DnD monsters come from other sources anyway.

Adoendithas
2012-02-09, 10:07 PM
Plus, most of them are in the SRD, which is published under the OGL.

Specifically, it says that you can use the D&D content to make your own derivative game.

I'd say this counts. : )

And if The Giant agrees, it sounds like a great idea.

Hamiltonz
2012-02-10, 02:11 PM
Just wanted to pipe in to say I'm writing something for my own personal use. It plays exactly like the card game.

And, I wanted to say, Always respect other people's Intelectual Property. Someday you may want other people to respect yours. Also, The Giant put in a lot of hard work and personal time creating not only the IP but the fan base that supports the comic. He deserves our respect. Try to put yourself in his shoes. How would you feel if someone took your work and put something out there before you could. If The Giant is thinking of making OotS into a computer game I'm sure he wants to do it right, and that takes time.

I don't know, maybe we could work out some play-by-mail thing to satiate our need for network gaming until an official computer game comes out.

psijac
2012-02-10, 06:50 PM
I want to raid Xykon's Crypt in the Astral Plane. Even though the phylactery is not there.

FlawedParadigm
2012-02-10, 07:28 PM
Did anyone ever do a Neverwinter Nights/NWN 2 mod for it?

t209
2012-02-10, 09:12 PM
I don't think Rich likes videogames likeFinal Fantasy (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0388.html), World of Warcraft (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0619.html) and others (Call of Duty).

Jaros
2012-02-10, 09:16 PM
I don't think Rich likes videogames likeFinal Fantasy (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0388.html), World of Warcraft (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0619.html) and others (Call of Duty).

Why not? Just because he jokes about them doesn't mean he dislikes them. I mean, he's made plenty of jokes about Dungeons and Dragons, and I think it's safe to say he likes that.

ThePhantasm
2012-02-10, 09:39 PM

If he doesn't like them, why does he give them cameos in the comic? :smallconfused: I see no critique of these games in the comic at all.

t209
2012-02-10, 09:53 PM
If he doesn't like them, why does he give them cameos in the comic? :smallconfused: I see no critique of these games in the comic at all.

I thought they were "take thats", but I know he could love those games, except Elderscrolls and Dragon Age (no cameo= Hates or not yets).

Mutant Sheep
2012-02-10, 09:56 PM
I thought they were "take thats", but I know he could love those games, except Elderscrolls and Dragon Age (no cameo= Hates or not yets).

Also, arrow to the knee jokes are terrible and should never happen. Too bad they're the only easily fit in but still recognizable Elder Scrolls joke. :smallcool:

ti'esar
2012-02-10, 10:17 PM
The Final Fantasy one is nothing but a pure cameo. The World of Warcraft one might be interpreted as a jab, but it's far more likely to be aimed at that segment of D&D players who whine that each change to the game makes it "too much like a MMORPG". I see no reason to interpret those strips as saying Rich dislikes video games.

t209
2012-02-10, 10:18 PM
Also, arrow to the knee jokes are terrible and should never happen. Too bad they're the only easily fit in but still recognizable Elder Scrolls joke. :smallcool:
I think maybe putting a character who is wrong genre savvy (using WRPG rules instead of D&D rules). Anti Heroes made one about Morrowind.

FujinAkari
2012-02-11, 05:53 PM

I don't really see how those can be read as "Take that's," unless we are also meant to assume that Rich hates Keith Baker, Gary Gygax, and James Earl Jones

Gift Jeraff
2012-02-11, 06:25 PM
I don't really see how those can be read as "Take that's," unless we are also meant to assume that Rich hates Keith Baker, Gary Gygax, and James Earl JonesRich hates everything in his comic, duh. Even his own characters.

Mutant Sheep
2012-02-11, 10:31 PM
Rich hates everything in his comic, duh. Even his own characters.

I thought that was just the Questionable Content guy. :smalltongue:

I'm kinda hoping there is no video game, because it'd be really hard to do and what, are we going let people play as Roy and be so completely OOC that an NPC Belkar would be the group conscience?:smallyuk: (Also, Brian Jacques has created a reasonable precedent.)

NerfTW
2012-02-11, 11:04 PM
I thought that was just the Questionable Content guy. :smalltongue:

I'm kinda hoping there is no video game, because it'd be really hard to do and what, are we going let people play as Roy and be so completely OOC that an NPC Belkar would be the group conscience?:smallyuk: (Also, Brian Jacques has created a reasonable precedent.)

Why would you need to offer that much freedom to the player? Not that I think OOTS lends itself to a video game in any way shape or form, but not every RPG requires infinite freedom, or even any freedom of choice in regards to moral actions. It doesn't even need to be an RPG.

But I don't think ANY game would fit the comic to begin with, so there's that. Like translating Half Life into a movie, the thing that makes it a great story is tied up in the medium, not separate from it.

skaddix
2012-02-12, 03:28 AM
You can make an rpg certainly.

t209
2012-02-12, 11:54 AM
What type of game should be?
Elder Scrolls Type game
Bioware Type games (dialogue and morality).
Rogue Like
Turn based like Fire Emblem

ThePhantasm
2012-02-12, 11:58 AM
None of the above. It doesn't fit the medium, storyline, nature, or feel of the comic at all. You'd basically be making a generic rpg with stuff stolen from Rich's universe.

t209
2012-02-12, 12:02 PM
None of the above. It doesn't fit the medium, storyline, nature, or feel of the comic at all. You'd basically be making a generic rpg with stuff stolen from Rich's universe.

how about gameplay function? (1st person like elder scrolls or turn based like Fire Emblem) I mean if the OOTS game was made.

Gift Jeraff
2012-02-12, 12:06 PM
Sidescrolling platformer, top-down linear RPG, point-and-click adventure, kart racer, or 2D fighter. Those are the only ways I can imagine an OOTS game, for some reason.

EDIT: Though it'd have to be story-less or tell a side-story/prequel/sequel/etc. The storyline of the actual comic wouldn't go well in video game format without adding/taking away/changing so much stuff that it'd be completely different.

ThePhantasm
2012-02-12, 07:05 PM
how about gameplay function? (1st person like elder scrolls or turn based like Fire Emblem) I mean if the OOTS game was made.

1st person? In a game full of stick figures? I'm having difficulties wrapping my mind around that. That seems so against the appearance of the comic itself.

Like I said, it sounds to me like people are just trying to make a game and use Rich's world and characters, not really anything that is faithful to or representative of the actual comic strip.

And again, I'm baffled that someone who self-admittedly hasn't read OOTS would come on here and offer to make a game of it. I don't know their motives (the OP doesn't seem to have returned to the thread). But it seems odd to me. All these project ideas and tie-ins that have suddenly sprung up after OOTS made big bucks on Kickstarter...

An rpg to me seems out of the question. The game would basically have to be a sidescroller like Gift Jeraff said, and when you begin to think about how the storyline is set up and how different the characters are, even that would be difficult if not near impossible to produce faithfully. And that's even if you were to get Rich's permission, which as far as I can tell, no one who has suggested this project has taken the time to do.

Surfing HalfOrc
2012-02-12, 08:19 PM
I thought about using RPGMaker to make an OotS game for my own amusement, but it was a lot of work for one guy without much artistic or programing skills. But, yes I would totally use Xykon's Tomb/Fortress for the final dungeon!

I hope Rich eventually does something like this, but for now it will remain a project only in my daydreams.

The Derider
2012-02-12, 09:07 PM
I would want to play a beat'em'up game starring Belkar, where the player gets to be a murderous, psychotic evil little bugger. Nothing tragic or emotional about it, just over-the-top ridiculousness.