PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Tiefling Society Question

rmaunus
2012-02-09, 05:12 PM
Are there any cities where Tieflings are the upperclass or just have more money in general?

Ravens_cry
2012-02-09, 05:23 PM
In Golarion I am assuming? Pathfinder is the product, Golarian is the main planet of the default setting.
While in Cheliax (pathfinder.wikia.com/wiki/Cheliax)they are more common, they are considered universally to be bastards and even when born of upperclass houses are considered a shame.
The trouble is, they don't breed true, unlike half orcs and half elves. The latter could breed with their own kind and produce more of their own kind, while two tieflings might produce another tiefling or just as likely, if not more so, a human.

Novawurmson
2012-02-10, 12:05 AM
I feel like I remember reading that they were more common in Korvosa because of the Wizard college there...I could just be making that up, though.

Mystify
2012-02-10, 12:15 AM
In Golarion I am assuming? Pathfinder is the product, Golarian is the main planet of the default setting.
While in Cheliax (pathfinder.wikia.com/wiki/Cheliax)they are more common, they are considered universally to be bastards and even when born of upperclass houses are considered a shame.
The trouble is, they don't breed true, unlike half orcs and half elves. The latter could breed with their own kind and produce more of their own kind, while two tieflings might produce another tiefling or just as likely, if not more so, a human.

Not breeding true doesn't nessecarily mean they can't form the basis of the upper class. Esp. if they can breed tieflings sporadically.
For an example of a fictional society with similar rules, look at Lucas Film's alien chronicles. The ruling race is called the viis. They are a lizardlike race that breeds through eggs, and sometimes the offspring do not live up to their standards. Deformities are common do to a plague, but in the upper classes they might be rejected simply for being plain. The rejects are dumped into the lowest class, barely better than slaves. In some ways worse.
Similarly, you could have a teifling upper class, and any non-teifling children are rejected and tossed into the lower classes.