PDA

View Full Version : What's the deal with Bone Knight?

Venger
2012-02-09, 06:28 PM
I've heard bone knight bandied about in charop at least somewhat frequently (mostly in older stuff) and I seem to remember it playing a pivotal role in the twice betrayer of shar (or nystra?) but I can't find that.

I looked it up in five nations and don't really understand what makes it so powerful. 9/10s divine casting is pretty cool, but it takes 10 levels to essentially give you undead immunities. what makes this better than becoming undead in another way (lich, necropolitan, etc)

I like it, it certainly is interesting, but what's the deal?

Greenish
2012-02-09, 06:30 PM
Immunities, is the deal. Without losing Con score. And it's not terribad otherwise, progresses casting, turning, boosts undead… But mostly the immunities.

deuxhero
2012-02-09, 06:31 PM
It's one of the very few classes for fallen Paladins to regain their powers without dropping to evil.

tyckspoon
2012-02-09, 06:47 PM
It gives you immunities you were going to want anyway without the tradeoffs involved in other methods of becoming undead (the XP sacrificed to be a Necropolitan, the *huge* amount of XP, money, and especially the LA to be a lich, giving up your Con score and the associated HPs and Fort save.) It doesn't involve a huge sacrifice to enter (skill requirements are a little annoying for a Cleric, but manageable) and... probably the biggest thing, especially for a Paladin, is that there aren't a heck of a lot of good prestige classes to compete with it. Most of the other decent divine classes are heavily focused on casting, which doesn't benefit the Paladin much. When your choice is between Bone Knight and, say, Shining Blade, Bone Knight wins every time.

DeAnno
2012-02-09, 07:07 PM
I think I've seen the Diehard effect of the Bone Armor interpreted to interact with Delay Death to keep the Cleric functioning no matter how much damage he took ala Frenzied Berserker (unless he gets hit by Disjunction, Disintegrate, Dispel, etc). I never really investigated the RAW legality though as he was saving me from death most of the time and I thought it was better just to leave it be.

Wings of Peace
2012-02-09, 07:54 PM
Undead can't get regen.

kulosle
2012-02-10, 01:40 AM
Gaining immunity to non-lethal damage while still having a constitution score. It's one of the only ways to become actually immune to damage. The only other way I know of is with half golem I believe.

Coidzor
2012-02-10, 01:51 AM
Well, it's not much, but the full BAB hasn't been brought up yet.

kardar233
2012-02-10, 02:01 AM
I think I've seen the Diehard effect of the Bone Armor interpreted to interact with Delay Death to keep the Cleric functioning no matter how much damage he took ala Frenzied Berserker (unless he gets hit by Disjunction, Disintegrate, Dispel, etc). I never really investigated the RAW legality though as he was saving me from death most of the time and I thought it was better just to leave it be.

This works. At IIRC level 5 of the class, you don't care if you're in negatives, you can still act unless you're dead. Removes a point of failure from the Twice-Betrayer. However, the Delay Death is still vulnerable (unless you're actually using Deathless Frenzy, but I don't suggest that for a truck-load of reasons) so I'd cover that up by using Dweomerkeeper and casting Delay Death as a (Su) ability, stopping it from being dispelled. Disjunction still messes you up though. Use a Contingency or Instant Refuge to get away just before it lands. Don't know a way around Dimensional Lock/Anchor or Weirdstone there, unless you use a Crafted Contingent Wish.

Hey, that's a good idea. Gotta remember that.

TuggyNE
2012-02-10, 03:15 AM
This works. At IIRC level 5 of the class, you don't care if you're in negatives, you can still act unless you're dead. Removes a point of failure from the Twice-Betrayer. However, the Delay Death is still vulnerable (unless you're actually using Deathless Frenzy, but I don't suggest that for a truck-load of reasons) so I'd cover that up by using Dweomerkeeper and casting Delay Death as a (Su) ability, stopping it from being dispelled. Disjunction still messes you up though. Use a Contingency or Instant Refuge to get away just before it lands. Don't know a way around Dimensional Lock/Anchor or Weirdstone there, unless you use a Crafted Contingent Wish.

I thought wish could only get you into a dimensionally locked area, not out of one. So maybe a contingent invoke magic...? *runs out of ideas*

DeAnno
2012-02-10, 03:33 AM
He managed to stave off most problems by getting really high SR (he had some CL skeeze he also used with Blasphemy). As for dispels and disjunctions like three party members including him constantly had Battlemagic Perception on so we were pretty on top of that. We did run into (Su) Disintegrate once though and it was real scary :smalleek:

NineThePuma
2012-02-10, 03:38 AM
3.0 or 3.5 disintegrate?

DeAnno
2012-02-10, 03:42 AM
3.5 Disintegrate (dusts you if below 0 hp lol you so Frenzied), it was some horrible homebrewed thing throwing giant magical swords in a silenced room full of pillars.

His name was Mongoose and he was the prison warden.

kardar233
2012-02-10, 04:44 AM
Make your primary weapon a Spellblade keyed to whatever spell you're worried about. (Su) Disintegrate is a reasonable thing to be worried about, as is Reaving Dispel.

Greenish
2012-02-10, 09:47 AM
Well, it's not much, but the full BAB hasn't been brought up yet.Probably because it's not relevant when talking about medium BAB PrC.

Manateee
2012-02-10, 12:23 PM
Well, it's not much, but the full BAB hasn't been brought up yet.
I keep seeing that on these boards and it keeps confusing me. Is it in some secret errata somewhere?

hex0
2012-02-10, 12:28 PM
I keep seeing that on these boards and it keeps confusing me. Is it in some secret errata somewhere?

People confuse it with Knight Phantom from the same book?

Greenish
2012-02-10, 12:54 PM
People confuse it with Knight Phantom from the same book?Or with some of the other 9/10 divine casting PrCs like Fist of Raziel or Knight of the Raven.

It's basically just a mistake that keeps being echoing because people trust the sources that are usually reliable. Five Nations is a relatively obscure book, after all.