PDA

View Full Version : Dark heresy: Righteous Fury and Multiple Tens

Beelzebub1111
2012-02-09, 08:15 PM
So if you roll two tens for damage on say...a frag grenade, do you roll for Righteous fury twice? or do you only get one die?

Kaun
2012-02-09, 08:53 PM
I have always played it that righteous fury only needs to be confirmed once per attack but now that i think about it i am not sure if we did that as a house rule to speed things up or if it was by the book.

king.com
2012-02-09, 09:30 PM
So if you roll two tens for damage on say...a frag grenade, do you roll for Righteous fury twice? or do you only get one die?

For each 10 rolled you get an individual righteous fury meaning that 2d10 damage can potentially cause two righteous furies.

Beelzebub1111
2012-02-10, 06:04 AM
For each 10 rolled you get an individual righteous fury meaning that 2d10 damage can potentially cause two righteous furies.

Okay, that's how I played it, just making sure. And do enemies get righteous fury as well?

king.com
2012-02-10, 06:19 AM
Okay, that's how I played it, just making sure. And do enemies get righteous fury as well?

Only people with fate points can achieve righteous fury. So the average mook cant but a boss might.

Beelzebub1111
2012-02-10, 07:22 PM
Could you define "Boss"? Would that be more of a "Major Recurring Villain"? or would "Gang Leader Cultist" qualify?

king.com
2012-02-10, 08:25 PM
Could you define "Boss"? Would that be more of a "Major Recurring Villain"? or would "Gang Leader Cultist" qualify?

Up to you depending on how important you think they are. Giving someone fate points though is a big deal as arguably they can be burnt just like a player can use them to survive. I would go major villain overall though but it depends on how far along in the game you. A Chaos Space Marine could easily be argued to all get a fate point despite not being a major recurring villain but i digress.

Need_A_Life
2012-02-12, 05:30 AM
Could that NPC have been replaced halfway through the adventure without the players noticing or caring?
If yes: No Fate Points.
If no: Fate Points.
:smalltongue:

When I prepare for a session, the names I've written down are important. The ones I fill in on my way to the game... not so much.

The Glyphstone
2012-02-12, 10:31 AM
Could that NPC have been replaced halfway through the adventure without the players noticing or caring?
If yes: No Fate Points.
If no: Fate Points.
:smalltongue:

When I prepare for a session, the names I've written down are important. The ones I fill in on my way to the game... not so much.

That'd mean no NPC would ever get fate points in my games, not even the BBEG.:smallcool:

Beelzebub1111
2012-02-13, 10:25 AM
So my four cultist villains who show up periodically over the campaign would get them, but the head of the Obsidian Eye's gang who is techically a 'boss' but not a recurring one wouldn't.

The Glyphstone
2012-02-13, 01:33 PM
If you've built an entire story arc or section of the campaign around this cult and the cultist leader is the culmination/final boss fight, he should get Fate points.

king.com
2012-02-13, 08:52 PM
So my four cultist villains who show up periodically over the campaign would get them, but the head of the Obsidian Eye's gang who is techically a 'boss' but not a recurring one wouldn't.

I've viewed fate points as pushing an NPC to the same level of importance as a player. Fate points are the only single advantage they have in the universe. So every time you consider an NPC ask "Is this character as important as my players". If yes, give them a fate point. If no, well yea.

Beelzebub1111
2012-02-13, 09:24 PM
I've viewed fate points as pushing an NPC to the same level of importance as a player. Fate points are the only single advantage they have in the universe. So every time you consider an NPC ask "Is this character as important as my players". If yes, give them a fate point. If no, well yea.
Tasked by their respective gods to bring the forces of Malal from the warp to the war-torn planet Malice, ensuring that the conflict never ends?

That seems pretty important.

king.com
2012-02-13, 11:27 PM
Tasked by their respective gods to bring the forces of Malal from the warp to the war-torn planet Malice, ensuring that the conflict never ends?

That seems pretty important.

Then give them all atleast 1 fate point. Maybe even more than one. That way when your players take them down, they 'escape' by burning fate points.

Lycan 01
2012-02-25, 08:02 PM
I know that in Deathwatch, certain enemies and NPCs have the "Touched By the Fates" Quality. Essentially, it means they have plot armor, are meant to be an extreme challenge, or are otherwise important in the grand scheme of things. A Tyranid Hive Tyrant, for example, has Touched By the Fates 3 or 4, I can't remember which one exactly. So it has 3/4 Fate Points, making it a BEAST.

A more mundane example is Commissar Sanders, an NPC in the adventure found in the Deathwatch rulebook. He's the leader of a small squad of guardsmen you can optionally rescue, and he has Touched By the Fates 1 or 2. He's not inherently important to the plot; he can be written or killed off quite easily, though saving him and other Imperials helps accomplish a bonus objecting. So its assumable his Touched By the Fates comes from the fact that he has thus far survived a full-scale invasion, is the leader of a rag-tag Guardsmen group, can prove quite helpful to the PCs, and his survival accomplishes a bonus objective for the PCs.

So, for your cult, I'd personally give the henchman each 1 Fate Point, maybe 2. For the BBEG, you should get 3. If he will be repeatedly fought and subjected to possible lucky-kill-shots, or there will be a climactic confrontation that's full of cinematic glory, or he's otherwise meant to be an extreme challenge, then maybe give him 4.

Beelzebub1111
2012-02-26, 09:00 PM
Actually there's no one BBEG among them...they're four dudes trying to prevent any side from winning on Malice, even their own. Or losing for that matter.

The way they see it, None of them want the guard to win, but if they lose there'd be no one on the world to corrupt. If Tzeentch's cultists wins, he wouldn't be too happy about the loss of the ebb and flow of the tides of battle. If Khorne wins, there would be no new enemies to fight, just ones own brothers in battle...which would run out eventually I suppose. If Nurgle wins all will decay to nothing, and leave nothing left to decay. If Slaanesh wins, nobody to corrupt combined with a lack of the sensation of new enemies. If the Malal cultists lose, it would tip the balance towards one side or another, Likely the guard. So their plan is to bring the Sons of Malice from the warp to help drive back the other opposing forces and make the fight more fair, (Since they were fighting all on one and the weakest what with there not being any daemonic or sorcerous backup with their god being dead)

To open the gate and invigorate the Lord of Hatred they need to sacrifice a being without a soul, the antithesis of chaos. Which is where they meet up with the players. The Nurgle cultist tried using drugs to destroy a soul (failed), They tried kidnapping a Pariah girl (Foiled, but ended up kidnapped by The Inquisition after the players let her abilities slip in the mission report), The Tzeentch cultist has a plan to use False-Men, but we'll see how the players handle that situation.