PDA

View Full Version : [3.PF] Loxodon race +0 LA

moghue
2012-02-10, 12:08 AM
Loxodon:
I have an avid love for MTG races. The Loxodon were always flavor-fully awesome and I'm hoping to use them in a current world build.
http://www.fantasygallery.net/jarvis/Loxodon_Warhammer.jpg

The Loxodon are a battle hardened race in the south. Where they come from, everyone wants their land, and they are willing to do almost anything to get it. In later years, they would build a wall around the edge of their kingdom, though this wouldn't stop all of the attacks. They prefer people of their own race, but do not mind humans, as they see very few of them, and those they do are quite nice as compared to the evil drow and overzealous elves of the south.

They have also met with the dwarves, sharing trade secrets among themselves. The Loxodon make up for their small numbers with expertly crafted weapons. Many Loxodon also like to take up priesthood of some sort. They normally devote themselves to Solon (Pelor), or Jhol (Bahamut).

The Loxodon language, called Lox, is a series of rumblings that only they can hear and can go over a relatively far distance. It is completely unheard of for any other race to speak or understand this language short of magical interjection. Loxodon stand a bit taller than a human, but not as big as an ogre.

Type: Monstrous Humanoid
Abilities: +2 Str or Con, +2 Wis, -2 Dex -2 cha. Loxodon are exceptionally strong and hearty, as well as patient and slow going. They are also very secluded and prefer only to associate with each other and the occasional human.
Size: Medium
Movement Speed: 30
Darkvision 60'
Natural Attack: Gore 1d6+str mod, x3 crit, may be used as a secondary attack for regular penalties
Powerful Build: The physical stature of Loxodons lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category larger.

Whenever a Loxodon is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for a Combat Maneuver Bonus or Combat Maneuver Defense (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), the Loxodon is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to him.

A Loxodon is also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as grab or swallow whole) can affect him. A Loxodon can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. However, his space and reach remain those of a creature of his actual size. The benefts of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject’s size category.

Slow and Steady: Your speed is not reduced by wearing medium or heavy armor or while carrying a heavy load.
Trunk: Loxodon have a very dexterous trunk, and can use it to hold light objects, such as potion vials, or a tool (usually to help the metalworkers forge). Loxodon cannot attack proficiently with their trunks holding a weapon, however, and suffer a -8 penalty due to the trunk not having enough "oomph" for an effective attack. They can make an unarmed attack with the trunk however, at a -6 penalty (their trunk attacks do not add their Str modifier for damage, however). This trunk counts as a tail for the Prehensile Tail feat.
Craft: +2 to craft.
Weapon Proficiency: Warhammer
Automatic Languages: Common and Lox
Bonus: Few Loxodon learn of other languages because of their focus on themselves, but a trader may pick up on one here or there.

Feature Point Breakdown:

Type:0
Abilities: -4
Size:0
Speed:0
Darkvision: +2 (monsterous humanoid)
Natural attack: +4
Elephant's Grip: +4
S&S: +2
Trunk: +1
Scent: +1
Weapon Proficiency: +0

Notes:
They should be large creatures, but our world doesn't use LA or monster races for that matter, so these may seem very underpowered compared to their mtg bretheren.

diceweasel
2012-02-10, 04:51 AM
One of the things that has bothered me about gnolls is how little their society and behavior actually reflects hyena behavior. I know you're making a MtG race, and so you're remaining true to their flavor, but it'd be cool if you added some elephant behavior to their flavor (matriarchy, "elephant graveyards", dangerous young elephant gangs, non-maternal infant care) or mechanics (elephants can communicate a long distance by stomping the ground and then "hearing" through their feet for instance which could make a cool secret language, and musth seems perfect for an elephant-race feat).

I don'y play MtG so I can't comment on accuracy, but it looks like a solid elephant-based race.

Thurbane
2012-02-10, 05:38 AM
Might be at the slightly high end of +0, but looks OK.

Elephant's Grip looks like a slightly watered down version of Powerful Build (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicRaces.htm#halfGiants)?

Powerful Build: The physical stature of half-giants lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category larger.

Whenever a half-giant is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), the half-giant is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to him.

A half-giant is also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect him. A half-giant can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. However, his space and reach remain those of a creature of his actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject’s size category.

moghue
2012-02-10, 09:34 AM
Didn't know that existed, do you know how many points that would be? i would rather use that.

userpay
2012-02-10, 11:13 AM
Didn't know that existed, do you know how many points that would be? i would rather use that.

You might consider checking out goliaths from Races of Stone as they have powerful build and are somewhat similar to what you're making here. Adding powerful build might be enough to tip what you're making into the +1 LA...

Personally I might suggest including either a feat you can take or adding a clause that lets the trunk count for the Prehensile Tail feat to basically get rid of that penalty to use the trunk.

moghue
2012-02-10, 05:57 PM
Personally I might suggest including either a feat you can take or adding a clause that lets the trunk count for the Prehensile Tail feat to basically get rid of that penalty to use the trunk.

I was thinking about making racial feats, as this is by far my favorite race for my world build atm. And thats a great idea.