PDA

View Full Version : Psion buffing others (options are scarce)

Morethankindand
2012-02-10, 12:20 AM
Greetings all. I'm running a campaign with characters around level 10. The party consists of two warrior types, a rogue type, a cleric, and a psion (kineticist). The psion typically does an excellent job of exploding everything in sight - much better than everyone else. This is basically a by-product of the tiered system and the fact that my campaign doesn't often require an extended chain of combats between rest.

All the players are mature and deeply ensconced in role-playing, so it doesn't bother them much. Still, I'm trying to find ways for a psion to be able to aid the party directly (i.e. - buff) instead of just leaving scorched outlines of enemies on the walls and dusting his hands. I think the players would enjoy combat a bit more if they all contributed (closer to) equally.

The pickings are slim. So far I've found "keen edge, psionic" and...that's it.

So I ask the experts: Are there good third party options out there for this? Homebrew? Is it terribly unbalanced to give a psion access to buffing? Are there secret powers hidden in pages of ancient tomes that I missed?

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Tenno Seremel
2012-02-10, 12:31 AM
You might want Channel Power from Mind's eye so you can share all those cool Personal powers you might have. Someone (Calain80, I think?) converted that from 3.0 to 3.5 as:

Channel power
Psychometabolism
Level: Psion/Wilder 2
Display: Material
Manifesting time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: One creature
Duration: Until discharged or 1 round/level
Saving throw: None (harmless)
Power resistance: Yes (harmless)

The next "Personal" range power you manifest is instead manifest as a touch range power on another creature. Only willing creatures can be affected.

Augment:

If you spend 2 additional power points, you can manifest this power as a Move Action instead of a standard action.
If you spend 4 additional power points, you can manifest this power as a Swift Action instead of a standard action.
If you spend 4 additional power points, the range of the power can be changed to Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels).

Morethankindand
2012-02-10, 01:28 AM
Thanks! That's real terrific and it looks pretty balanced too.

One peculiar side-effect is healing in combat. With this, the psion (say he was 11th level) would be able to pop a 55 hp vigor onto someone within 50 ft for 22 power points. That's about a fifth of his daily allotment, but it's still a better heal than a cleric can pull off (without bringing out "heal" or a heavily optimized DMM/magic item combo). Considering the power point cost, I'd say that's mostly fair. Still, it would change the group dynamic quite a bit. I'll talk to them about it.

The good stuff: Inertial armor (+9) on the rogue with 22 dex (unbuffed - and in a world without celestial chainmail) would be an interesting possibility. Toss in Force Screen for extra fun. Fully augmented presciences/precogs on any of the combat-types would also be a swell addition. These are all big (and probably inefficient) power drains, but that's good. Anything that drains his reserve makes the choice to blast and augment more tactical and situational.

Any other suggested uses of this power are welcome. Keep in mind that this isn't about optimization so much as it is about spreading the wealth.

Thurbane
2012-02-10, 01:48 AM
Linky to the original Channel Power (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20010928a), just for reference.

Tenno Seremel
2012-02-10, 01:55 AM
In general – low level buffs with long durations (especially hour/level) are good candidates for channeling. Although some shorter ones might be pretty useful mid battle.

For example: Conceal Thoughts, Detect Hostile Intent (at higher levels with Extend Power this can last quite a while too), Strength of My Enemy (if you can somehow learn that as it's a Psychic Warrior power), Sustenance (assuming your group have problems with food, which is rare), Touchsight, Steadfast Perception (also PsyWar) with that.

If you have access to Hyperconscious you might want to learn: Psychic Bodyguard (does not need Channel Power) so you can shield your low Will comrades; Construct Toughness (ignore critical hits, resistance to bludgeoning damage).

Thiramon
2012-02-10, 02:16 AM
There's also the pretty handy power Soul Crystal (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20060217a), found in MoI, giving you the ability to create said crystals which contain a power you know to be used by others. It's like a wand, just without the need for UMD. Your comrades can cast any power stored in that crystal at your manifester level with power points up to two times your manifester level.

Really cool, especially as you can store unused power points before going to sleep, keeping them for the next one or two days.