PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Prying Eyes Question

Astro_Bull
2012-02-10, 07:14 AM
My DM is about to send the party into a dungeon that I have reason to believe will be pretty brutal. I want my Wizard character to be able to pull off a stunt with Prying Eyes to prepare us that I'm not quite sure how to rule on by RAW. First, I want to send out the eyes to scout at least 5 minutes in each room they come by (plus additional directions). No problems so far.

Next, however, I want to find a spell that would allow the Rogue in the party to see everything I see from the returning Eyes. I'm sure there's a spell out there that would let me do this, but I can't seem to find one. Next, I was hoping the Rogue would be able to use their Search skill to find any traps in each room, using the vision from the Eyes instead of his natural vision. Finally, I was hoping the Rogue could take 20 on these Search checks since the eyes were in each room a sufficient amount of time to have done so.

So, I need help to find the right spell to share vision with the Rogue, and I need all the rules gurus out there not to crush my dreams with my search check trickery. If it helps, all 3.5 books are fair game. Thanks! :smallsmile:

KillianHawkeye
2012-02-10, 07:46 AM
The easiest solution would be to craft a scroll of Prying Eyes and have the Rogue UMD it, although it cuts you out of the loop.

Diarmuid
2012-02-10, 11:08 AM
I agree. I likely wouldnt let the Rogue search through the Prying Eyes because I see Search as more than just visual. And even it was just visual, the eyes dont know what kinds of things they need to look for, angles to get on things and whatnot that a Rogue knows to look for.

You as the "programming" wizard also dont have the Trapfinding ability so you cant program that kind of searching in either.

Sudain
2012-02-10, 04:27 PM
I'd rule so that the rouge who cast from the spell could search with them.

When you create the eyes, you specify instructions you want them to follow in a command of no more than twenty-five words. Any knowledge you possess is known by the eyes as well.

When you make most scrolls you have to make all choices ahead of time. But it'd be stupid to apply that to commune or augury; so I wouldn't apply that here. The rogue could search as needed with this trap finding abilities.

As far as searching being more than visual; absolutely. So I'd allow it at a penalty - -4,-6,-8. Not sure.