PDA

View Full Version : New DM: Need to Make a Town Interesting

Julietta2525
2012-02-10, 02:32 PM
So I have DM'ed just a little before but have had great experience playing and my fiancee is AMAZING at being a DM. Usually I go to him for help but he is going to be playing in our group and so is our best friend and his brother. So I have no one to go to. Hence the thread :smallbiggrin:

I have this idea that is almost a direct rip-off of the Ori/Prior storyline from the last two seasons of Stargate SG-1. But I don't want the players to know about it yet. I am going to surprise them with strange holy men doing miracles for free, as long as you worship them, and if you don't bad things happen... etc..... But I want them to start in a smallish town getting used to things so that they have something they can be a part of and care about. Also so that they can come together as they all have important roles in the town so when the "priors" (they will be called something different haven't decided what yet) come in they will feel more strongly about what is gong on and feel a connection to something. I have noticed that groups tend to be more interested in working together when they have something important and meaningful to call their own. I am not giving them the town but making them a part of it.

Here's the rub though; I have no idea what to do with them in the town to get them to become a part of it. And what kind of quests for them to do to level a little and feel invested before the priors come. Any ideas or suggestions about that or anything else I have discussed is very much appreciated :smallbiggrin:

For the technical aspects, they are going to start at level 1 and its going to be PF with a little 3.5 mixed in (if there is anything 3.5 we all want that isn't PF). I can take criticism and would love advice. Thanks!

hymer
2012-02-10, 02:45 PM
One suggestion, for making the PCs feel closer to a specific town, is to each have them make themselves an NPC that their PC is attached to. Ask them to include one in their background. Family, mentor, love-interest, old friend, you know. And have these NPCs be as hassle-free as you can make them. And then have them people live in the town.
Give the PCs a chance to be celebrated as minor heroes quite early (and quite possiby before opening the main plot). Nothing to get PC ire up like a threat on those who just threw them a party. Be subtle, though, if the players are easily jaded. Also, make sure there are plenty of little benefits, emotional as well as game-technical, to having these good friends in town.
Just my thoughts. Best of luck!

Julietta2525
2012-02-10, 02:53 PM
I would never have thought of that. I like the idea of them having an NPC to call their own lol. What kind of adventure should they go on though? Oh and they are just excited to play again and my fiancee is thrilled to his toenails that I am DMing instead of him lol. So shouldn't have any jaded issues. And they can deal since no one else is willing to DM but me :smallamused: I want a simple adventure but I like the idea of making them heroes of the town. Orc attack seems to simple but I have no idea what to have them do. Any ideas on good quests?

Julietta2525
2012-02-10, 03:03 PM
Also, if anyone has any ideas on how to make a Prior-like character with a world of magic and clerics I would be grateful. I should explain for those who have not seen that part of SG1. A prior was a servant of a group of ascended, god-like, beings who gained power by having more worshipers and followers. The Priors were given powers to impress and condemn the people they were trying to convert. Things like growing crops, healing, causing plagues, bringing back the dead, causing curses, things like that.

hymer
2012-02-10, 03:07 PM
Weelll...
It's usually a good idea if the first session sets the tone for the campaign, so I'd have the adventure be something in the same vein or genre. I haven't watched Stargate, so I have no idea what's about to happen. But if the main campaign is going to be about intrigue, non-combat encounters, investigation and outwitting opponents socially, then their first three levels probably shouldn't be dungeon crawls. They'll start constructing their characters with dungeons in mind, and may well get a little frazzled (if that's a word) when things turn in a different direction.

Julietta2525
2012-02-10, 03:17 PM
Indeed... I see your point... and yes frazzled is a word :smallbiggrin: . Maybe if its a little more personal. More about people instead of monsters. There are simple situations like people against people that could be something. Oh and I forgot to say that it is going to be a religious war on a massive scale. Almost crusade... no definitely a crusade... later on that is. Heh, not a crusade at level 1 that would be unfortunate for the PCs. I was also thinking maybe if there was a little infighting in the town between two different religious leaders or groups that have nothing to do with the overall religious group but kind of sets the tone as a religious war? Hmm... how does that sound? Oh and I really appreciate the comments hymer and am looking forward to hearing more about your campaign and what you think of mine :smallbiggrin:

CTrees
2012-02-10, 03:25 PM
I was also thinking maybe if there was a little infighting in the town between two different religious leaders or groups that have nothing to do with the overall religious group but kind of sets the tone as a religious war? Hmm... how does that sound?

I kinda like the feel of that. An unrelated religious conflict sets it up as something they should expect, so the arrival of the priors doesn't seem as random as it might. As for the initial conflict, well, there are TONS of ways to generate religious conflicts (different sects worshiping the same god, disagreeing over elements of his/her worship? directly opposed gods? conflict between natives and immigrants, coming to a head through religious differences? et cetera). For the PCs part, having some violence as a catalyst for adventure is obvious, but beyond that... the PCs could be hired (potentially secretly) by one church to act against the other. They could set out to investigate religiously motivated theft/murder, perhaps working in a Holmesian/CSI role. They could just be trying to de-escalate everything. And so on.

bloodtide
2012-02-10, 03:33 PM
Priors-Well, do you want them to be fake? It's easy enough to make them something like shapeshifted illithids that want to eat the brains of all the townsfolk. Or any other 'evil monster'.

But you don't have to make the Priors 'fake' at all. They could, in fact be clerics of a new god. But maybe the god is evil or at least strange. Or better yet the priors could serve a false god...like a demon or such. Or maybe even a 'fallen god'.

The town-Making NPCs they are connected too is good. But you also want them to be connected to the town. Give the town something, anything really, that the players like. Then they will feel part of the town and defend it and all. And easy one is to get them the deed to a house or such. You could also get them to be part of a town group. The best is to have a nice, flavorful unique touch. Say the town has a healing fountain or other large magic item. Or even just a good weapon ship, or alchemist shop.

First Adventure-A basic one is always good. The mayor gives the group the deed to 'old castle Mcstok', IF they can clear the creatures out of it. Then you toss in that Evil Mccleric is using the basement of the castle for hideous experiments or whatever as part of the religious plot. So the characters get a castle and a tip off of the religious things going on.

Julietta2525
2012-02-10, 03:45 PM
Interesting... I feel I should share the overarching idea... its all still in the works and in the making but....

So these strange religious guys start coming into towns all over the world preaching a religion that no one has ever heard of before. They are offering wonderful things and helping people heal and crops grow... free of charge. All they ask is to be worshiped because they are the followers of the true gods.

At the moment I don't know who I want to be the actual gods. Demons, a sect of gods of my making, aberrations, etc.... But there will be a larger power in the works that are drawing power from the amount of people worshiping them. Anyways...

Some towns, however, do not want to worship these beings. They have their own religious beliefs or don't feel that these people are on the level. The towns that start to deny the new gods suddenly start to have problems. They face plague that the clerics cannot heal. They have their undead come back to life to terrorize their towns. Crops die and buildings become cursed. The clerics are having trouble reversing and keeping up with the power of these messengers and a call goes out to the religious leaders and investigations begin.... that is kind of where I have stopped for now.

Anyways, that is the basic premise and idea I am working on :smallbiggrin:

Julietta2525
2012-02-10, 03:48 PM
Lol, I like that bloodtide... ok I should have started posting threads a long time ago this is awesome. I really have a lot to mull over. Please don't stop though! I want more... muah ha ha ha... seriously, thanks for all the help :smallbiggrin:

Ninjadeadbeard
2012-02-10, 03:51 PM
I had an idea for how you could form the early town quests, but then my post dragged on. Spoiler'd for stupid length.

The town the PCs live in has one church (I'm assuming this is a fairly small farming settlement judging by the use of "town"). However, one of the clerics/monks/priests/whatever, has been making a bit of a stink. Seems he and the Abbot butt heads over some small, almost negligible detail about their holy scripture. It can be anything, but the disgruntled clergyman claims that the proof he needs is in a nearby tomb (he deciphered some script on the tomb doors that basically says the proof is down there).

He asks for anyone willing to accompany him down into the tomb. The PCs should probably take the hint and follow him down. What follows is a short dungeon crawl that's mostly some low-level traps and one or two local monsters (goblins, lets say) who found their way in through a tunnel. At the end of the tomb, where the PCs find that the proof (a book? something) is not there. The clergyman says he will investigate and pays the PCs for their service.

Later, one of the NPCs the PCs are attached to says they saw something in the woods. A short adventure leads to maybe a small fight with a few monsters. The PCs also find some travelers that were attacked. Only one is still alive, but in critical condition (and inflicted with a strange poison that seems resistant to magical attempts to cure it). If they bring the man back into town, the clergy attempt to nurse the man. If they investigate further, they are led to a local apothecary who says he believes only one person locally could have made the poison and have the nerve to sell it to goblins (or whatever semi-intelligent monsters are living nearby). The PCs are directed to a witch in the woods. If they don't immediately attack her, she will not apologize for selling the poison, but agrees to move away if it will keep her alive. She bribes the PCs to let her go (some little magical item and a bit of cash). The PCs can decide what to do with her (fame for slaying her, fame and cash for just saying they did).

At some point, the PCs should be called upon to prevent a nighttime raid of the town's supplies. Someone wakes the town at night, and says that he saw goblins raiding the food storage. The PCs will probably get to fight and save the town.

The PCs again hear from the Disgruntled Clergyman. He says he's found the proof he needs. It turns out that the Goblins stole it (the book was covered in shiny gold-leaf ink, and so it attracted them as a bauble). The PCs are directed to where the Clergyman believes the goblins have set up their camp. The PCs should go and pick a fight, though a stealthy approach should be hinted at as well (by the Clergyman who doesn't want to risk the proof).

After a Boss-fight with the goblin leader (a cleric or something?) the PCs return home and are celebrated as heroes. The Abbot meets you before you reach the town and offers to pay for the proof. He claims he just wants to be able to read it first and then properly inform the religious authorities about the new information, if any that is gleaned from the book. The PCs could RP this any way they see fit, from taking the money to giving the Clergyman the Abbot's job.

Of course, the next day a certain Prior is found already sitting in the town center as the sun rises...

Didn't know what the ratio for RP/Fighting you were looking for.

bloodtide
2012-02-10, 03:52 PM
You could do the old, old idea of ''The One True God''. He comes along and says all the 'other gods' are false and he is the only true god. But is he a god, demon or whatever. (If you ever watched Hercules or Xena this was Dahak)

Julietta2525
2012-02-10, 04:41 PM
Ninjadeadbeard... that was great! Lol, it was so detailed it was like I was looking over someone else's DM notes. Lol, I love it! This is great... I have so much to think about. What level do you think the "prior" thing should start? How long should they be getting acquainted with the town? I am not good with power levels. I always under or overpower the encounter but not before letting the players be level five gestalt.... not the best way to go. I am going all new and fresh for this one. So we will start at level one but, when would be good to start the overarching storyline?

Julietta2525
2012-02-10, 04:43 PM
And I thought about the one true god thing. I have been trying to think about making the power behind the clergymen being something unique and interesting. Not sure what that would be though.... aberrations have been over done with my crew (my fiancee's favorite villians :smallbiggrin:), but what would be good that they wouldn't see coming? Actual Gods, or God? But that seems too epic for them to really get to interact with....

Dr_S
2012-02-10, 05:00 PM
The first towns the priors convert would likely be those most susceptible to it. The number of followers increased their power iirc, and to some degree that's how my group rolls with our gods, that followers influence power level (though not the sole determining factor)

Perhaps the first adventure could be a mystery in which the local priest is involved in a scandal, perhaps he's corrupted by a new god, or he's revealed to be a fake, etc. Have the town already facing hard times. This would explain why many who live there would be questioning their religion, and a new priest enters the town, approaches some local leader and offers them the new religion.

Ninjadeadbeard
2012-02-10, 05:26 PM
Ninjadeadbeard... that was great! Lol, it was so detailed it was like I was looking over someone else's DM notes. Lol, I love it! This is great... I have so much to think about. What level do you think the "prior" thing should start? How long should they be getting acquainted with the town? I am not good with power levels. I always under or overpower the encounter but not before letting the players be level five gestalt.... not the best way to go. I am going all new and fresh for this one. So we will start at level one but, when would be good to start the overarching storyline?

I'm also bad at power levels. I guess, first three or so levels? Then have the prior come in just before 5th. Not sure. He might not be a particularly powerful Prior, or they haven't reached their zenith. I have no idea what level you're thinking of ending on, so there you go. Course, if the campaign goes on long enough, your players might just end up being Gods themselves (Epic Destiny Quests!) and leading the entire Anti-Prior faction.

As for What's behind the Priors. Cthulhu? I'd go with that. Or maybe they worship themselves. They are a group of minor immortals (dark magic rendered them unable to die of natural causes, but they still age somewhat so they look ancient) who seek to elevate themselves to Godhood, and their own extreme narcissism has reached a point (helped by some obscure magic items) where they can actually cast miracles by believing in themselves.

Julietta2525
2012-02-10, 05:35 PM
Everyone loves Cthulhu! But worshipping themselves is a very interesting twist. I was thinking of giving the overall arch a little simplicity and typical adventure feel by making a McGuffin for them tofind that will destroy or render usuless the Prior guys. Maybe pecies so they will have to adventure for it... but with the town thing maybe that won't work.... I like the town thing... anyways, special artifacts giving them power? But they are the "gods"? I like that... certainly won't expect it :smallbiggrin: especially if they refer to a different god. Maybe do the "one god" thing but really they are referring to themselves... getting more powerful by the day with all the new followers that they intimidated into working with them....

monotone
2012-02-10, 09:36 PM
Some good ideas that I have seen used in low level town play:
- a monster/group/cult has disturbed the ecosystem in the caves/rift nearby. This is sending some vermin out into the countryside. PCs can be hired to root them out of grain silos, barns, and basements. Eventually they will encounter groups of scorpions and centipedes outside of the town, swarms at later levels. As the campaign progresses they can track the escalating menace through the wilderness and discover what is displacing the vermin. If you want to put another twist in, the bad guys could be financed by corrupt officials who are using the vermin as an excuse to raise taxes/blame the mayor/convert followers whatever.
- PCs are hired to investigate accidents at the local mine. When meeting miners they see signs of drug use (the BoVD has lots of ideas, sannish is good for low levels). Tracing the problem reveals that the drugs are from soldier/guards who used it to get through some tough battles with orcs. They can be played up as victims who had to do something to survive but are now stuck. As many or as few people can be having an addiction as dramatically necessary. The players will need to discover who is still making the drug and why, while simultaneously trying to make a cure. Invariably one needed ingredient will grow only rarely in some swamp or marsh.
- Local caravneers have been captured by orcs serving a low level cleric of death. Escapees know where they are held, but because of other problems (perhaps those mentioned above) the guards cannot mount a rescue mission. Several low level npcs accompany the party on a raid. This helps establish allies in the town who the PCs can count on. Depending on the tone of the campaign not all of the volunteers who set out will survive. Perhaps the cleric gets away or has a master who can reoccur later. Also, not all of those whom they rescue need to be "good" people. Imagine the moral wrangeling if one of them is a serial rapist or petafile and they find out much later.
As a result of the rescue they should be hailed as heroes of the town, and can call on favor from grateful merchants later.
- A blighter and a Druid, mortal enemies, have just fought to the death in the countryside. Both died cursing the other. Without a proper burial the curse is spawnig twig blights and twisted green bound animals. The party must find both bodies and lay them to rest in the appropriate manner to stope the problem.

I hope these ideas help to flavor the low levels in your town.

Julietta2525
2012-02-11, 08:56 PM
Thank you monotone :smallbiggrin: Yeah I have decided to keep the prior guys a secret until the players are like level four or five for now. I want them to be a surprise :smalltongue: I am going to go with making them heroes of the town. I thought about giving them a small house so they could be a "hero for hire" business but I want them to feel more in touch with the people. I think that after a few quests they will have a feat in their honor with a small parade/festival and maybe get some townies to start asking for personal favors in exchange for discounts or future favors. I want them to know the townfolk on a personal level so that when things start to affect the town they will feel like their friends are in danger. I am still not sure how to make the prior guys though...

Oh and I am going to make some character restrictions so that clerics, druids, and wizards are harder to find because a wizard, given enough prep, can defeat just about any situation... actually yeah any situation lol...

bloodtide
2012-02-11, 11:00 PM
Just remember to not make the Pirors gray skinned bald guys with brown robes and staffs...lol.

monotone
2012-02-11, 11:16 PM
Thank you monotone :smallbiggrin: Yeah I have decided to keep the prior guys a secret until the players are like level four or five for now. I want them to be a surprise :smalltongue: I am going to go with making them heroes of the town. I thought about giving them a small house so they could be a "hero for hire" business but I want them to feel more in touch with the people. I think that after a few quests they will have a feat in their honor with a small parade/festival and maybe get some townies to start asking for personal favors in exchange for discounts or future favors.

Your welcome.

If you want them to be hero's then being the local mercenaries may not have the flavor you are looking for. If they do good deeds altruistically and just happen to get WBL appropriate rewards in treasure then they can be icons who townsfolk look up to.

Ninjadeadbeard
2012-02-11, 11:21 PM
Just remember to not make the Pirors gray skinned bald guys with brown robes and staffs...lol.

Well, of course. Bright colors however, (http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/028/9/7/psijic_vadril_by_theminttu-d4nv0xt.jpg) can and will throw off the players. Why would the "Big Bads" wear bright sunshine colors? These strange Prior fellows seem legit to me... :smallamused:

Flickerdart
2012-02-11, 11:29 PM
How about this:

Start them off somewhere else nondescript, send them to the town on a delivery quest or something, all the while mentioning the criminal activity of some gang. When they get there, they see a faceoff between the town's captain of the guard and said gang, and the captain is gravely wounded. Try to get them to take the law into their own hands, after which the newly-promoted captain (there's probably like three guards total in small town) asks them for help with the rest of the gang members.

This way, by the time the priors come, the PCs will be invested in the town due to having fought for it already. All the better if NPCs they've gotten to know start thinking if maybe the priors aren't offering such a bad deal after all...

Try to obliquely suggest that one of the PCs play a cleric, because the situation totally calls for a "my god can beat up your god" scenario.

hymer
2012-02-14, 06:08 AM
So you've had a few days to think and work. How's it going so far? When is your first session?

Julietta2525
2012-02-19, 10:37 PM
Well, I am in the process of moving so we haven't started yet, but I am thinking that, to start out, the town will be having trouble with a recent increase in wildlife activity (town is near the forest) but its actually a cult of creatures that worship a god (unsure of who yet) who rewards them with bountiful food sources if they do certain rituals for him. The rituals involve dark magic, which the critters don't realize is dark magic just what their god wants, and sacrifices of their own people. The animals, who are slightly evil (dire?), are killing people on the outskirts next to the forest. If the players intervene I kind of want it to be a moral quandary of should they get the critters to move on and do these rituals somewhere else? or should they "show them the error of their religion" and change them. Because they aren't intentionally hurting people, the large quantities of these animals, that they are propagating through their worship, are hurting people. This kind of foreshadows the morality of the priors because at first they will seem benign so telling them not to preach or work miracles and what-not would be construed as a similar thing. Who has the right to tell someone how to worship or what is right to worship? Maybe too cheesy....

Julietta2525
2012-02-19, 10:39 PM
Oh and my boyfriend is now my fiance so I have been a little distracted :smallbiggrin: