PDA

View Full Version : enchanting: Psionic Vs. Magic

Seth62
2012-02-10, 03:03 PM
firstly can you have two separate enchantment chains on the same weapon? Like can you have a +1 flaming enchantment and a +1 Psychokinetic enchantment? If you can do this is it equal to a +2 flaming, Psychokinetic weapon or does only one work at a time? Also does it cost more to enchant it with psionics after the arcane?

thanks for the help

gomipile
2012-02-10, 03:12 PM
They are both the same type of bonus ("enhancement bonus") so according to the rules, they can't stack in parallel. Thus, it would work just like adding another ability to a magic weapon, or vice versa, if you allow both psionic and magic on the same weapon.

Seth62
2012-02-10, 03:19 PM
so they stack? what happens in a anti-magic field? it is only psionic then? Is it a good Idea to use both?

Captain Six
2012-02-10, 03:43 PM
This would fall under Psionic/Magic Transparency. Under that rule a psionic weapon would be no more different from a magic weapon than an arcane weapon is from a divine weapon. In a game without the transparency it would be up to the DM to decide how the two interact, I'm not sure if the rules ever touch on it.

Big Fau
2012-02-10, 03:51 PM
This would fall under Psionic/Magic Transparency. Under that rule a psionic weapon would be no more different from a magic weapon than an arcane weapon is from a divine weapon. In a game without the transparency it would be up to the DM to decide how the two interact, I'm not sure if the rules ever touch on it.

No, the rules do address it. In fact, the very rule you mentioned covers it. Transparency extends to magic items, spells, spell-like abilities, and powers equally.

Coidzor
2012-02-10, 03:59 PM
so they stack? what happens in a anti-magic field? it is only psionic then? Is it a good Idea to use both?

It depends upon magic-psionics transparency. The default rule, I recall, is transparency, so they would both be suppressed.

gomipile
2012-02-10, 04:09 PM

They stack, but the second one is more expensive to put on than the first, just as though they were both magic or both psionic enhancements.