PDA

View Full Version : Question about ressurection

AngelusAlvus
2012-02-10, 03:29 PM
I have a question about ressurection in OOTS universe. As I re-read the comic, I noticed this: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0639.html
V re-animated the skull of the dragon against her will. Sure it isn't ressurection, but the dragon's soul clearly came back when V used that spell.
So, necromancy spells are more powerful than divine ones since they can bring back people against their will?

Knight13
2012-02-10, 04:09 PM
Not really. Resurrection restores the subject to true life, exactly as they were before they died (well, minus a level, but you get the idea). V just reanimated the ABD as an intelligent undead.

Also, Create Greater Undead requires an onyx gem worth 50 gp per hit die of the creature being raised, has a 1 hour cast time and can only be cast at night, so Rich was taking some liberties with the rules.

Spacewolf
2012-02-10, 04:12 PM
well speak with undead isnt supposed to bring back souls either but apparently it does in the OOTS verse

JSSheridan
2012-02-10, 04:12 PM
I have a question about ressurection in OOTS universe. As I re-read the comic, I noticed this: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0639.html
V re-animated the skull of the dragon against her will. Sure it isn't ressurection, but the dragon's soul clearly came back when V used that spell.
So, necromancy spells are more powerful than divine ones since they can bring back people against their will?

It's only more powerful in the terms of controlling other people.

AngelusAlvus
2012-02-10, 04:41 PM
well speak with undead isnt supposed to bring back souls either but apparently it does in the OOTS verse

Since V re-anim,ated he dragon's head, it's most liukely the spell could turn her entire body into a zombie with a soul even if it's against their will. So, in OOTS universe, ressurection spells are weaker than necromancy ones.

Idhan
2012-02-10, 05:10 PM

Technical 3.5e nitpicking here, but the distinction is necromancy vs. conjuration (healing), or arcane vs. divine, not necromancy vs. divine. Clerics get lots of great necromancy powers (including Create Greater Undead), as Redcloak often demonstrates (both by animating and creating undead and with pure death spells like slay living and destruction).

Anyway, looking at Create Greater Undead, I really don't think that what V did was within the normal purview of the spell's power to create incorporeal undead (shadows, wraiths, and specters) and devourers. The dragon head seemed to be a corporeal, undead body part which temporarily hosts the original dragon's soul. I think maybe Haerta's power is bending the power of the spell. She's not just epic, but the most powerful of three epic spellcasters "by a fair bit". Create Greater Undead is a non-epic necromancy spell, but who knows what epic feats and prestige class features she has that apply to her non-epic necromancy?

Gift Jeraff
2012-02-10, 05:20 PM
Create [Greater] Undead can create more powerful undead based on caster level, so someone with a caster level in the 70s/80s being able to create that head-thing with an unwilling soul doesn't seem like a stretch.

It's also possible that type of undead only lasts for a certain duration.

NerfTW
2012-02-10, 05:22 PM
Also keep in mind that V had a spellcasting level that was unheard of. It probably wasn't a spell just anyone could cast.

Ravian
2012-02-11, 01:26 PM
My guess that it was a combo of a create undead with a limited soul bind.

Most likely is that it only lasts a certain duration, and the dragon head kept very little of its powers (its not like V was using it for anything, most likely familicide could have been used on the dragon's corpse, V just wanted to make her watch the destruction of her eintire family lineage)