PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Monk n' Match

marcielle
2012-02-10, 05:16 PM
Hihi. Joining my first PF game and decided to give the monk another chance. I've decided to go crazy with the archetypes for the sheer cool-factor.
The rest of party is Ranged Rogue, Ranged Ranger, Druid, Cleric and Sorc. Now I know what the initial impression is but the DM has stated that he intends to weight the WBC in accordance to Tier. Also, he has mentioned that optimization levels are pretty low.

Stat rolls went pretty well: Str-19,Con-17,Dex-15,Wis-14,Int-13,Cha-12

Archtypes: Qinggong, Master of Many Styles, Monk Vows and Hungry Ghost.
Human
Feats:
1 Dragon Style, Weapon Focus (unarmed strike), Open
2 Dragon Ferocity
3 Open
5 Tiger Style
6 Tiger Claws
7 Elemental Fist
9 Shaitan Style
10 Shaitan Earthblast
Vows: Fasting, Chains, Truth, Silence

Qinggong Tradeouts: High jump, Wholeness of Body
For: Scorching Ray(bye-bye shurikens), Gaseous Form

Havent really thought about it after this but the campaign is unlikely to progress much further anyway.

Also, is it possible to combine Elemental with the effects of Tiger Claws and Dragons for:
2d8+Str(normal meelee attack)+1.5 STR(Dragon Style)+0.5STR(D.Ferocity)+2d6(elemental Fist)
I don't think theres anything that says you can't but I'd rather be sure.

Krazzman
2012-02-11, 03:17 AM
Okey, what do we have here...

First off, if you are going Hungry Ghost, it could be better to rely on a weapon with a higher crit chance.
Do you need the Weapon Focus for anything as prerec? If not, drop that right there for Improved Ini and a second style.

But now I want to get you away from silence.... it sucks, because you are playing a roleplaying game here and you want to be silent bob, while cool he can't talk...i.e. can't shout Kamehameha or Hadouken on your scorching ray.
And chains would be only good if you take your weight as an improvised weapon.
Someone once rated these vows and came to the conclusion, for what they give they take too much. I believe he mentioned truth to be the easiest vow and silence to be the hardest.

Hope this helps.

Mystify
2012-02-11, 07:00 AM
I believe he mentioned truth to be the easiest vow and silence to be the hardest.
How is silence a harder vow than vow of poverty?

marcielle
2012-02-11, 03:08 PM
Thanks. Chains was actually going to be used for something cool with Improved graple, but without the grapple modifying tricks of 3.5, I decided to shelve that at first. They say monk got buffed(albeit ever so slightly) but without access to 3.5, it seems weaker. Am I missing something?

Blisstake
2012-02-11, 03:59 PM
How is silence a harder vow than vow of poverty?

Vow of Poverty should be strictly limited to NPCs, honestly.

marcielle
2012-02-11, 04:08 PM
Well actually, I was in a low magic campaign once( all fullcaster were banned) and all poverty would have taken would have been a dozen potions and a minor wondrous item or 2.