PDA

View Full Version : Ur-Priest Questions

Zipding
2012-02-10, 06:52 PM
As you can tell by the title, I have a question with regards to the Ur-Priest from Complete Divine and Book of Vile Darkness.

It states that you cannot have any divine casting abilities and if they did (as an ex-cleric), they lose all of their abilities.

However, it also says that the casting level of the Ur-Priest is the number of levels as Ur-Priest plus half the level of any casting before entering class, minus any cleric levels.

My question is: Since Archivists derive their spells from the Cleric spell list, would they lose any of their casting abilities as well?

There is one more question I do have: If you have levels in arcane spellcasting, would these add to your caster level?

These may seem like bad questions, but I just want to understand the class more.

gallagher
2012-02-10, 06:56 PM
the qualifier is divine spells.

archivists cast divine spells, and are thus going to lose their spell stuff

Cog
2012-02-10, 07:12 PM
Gallagher is correct on the first answer. As for the second:

...add the character’s ur-priest levels to one-half of his levels in other spellcasting classes.
Arcane spellcasting classes are, by definition, spellcasting classes. They contribute to an ur-priest's caster level.

Note that it's a measure of class level, not caster level. A paladin 6/ur-priest 1 would have the same caster level as a sorcerer 6/ur-priest 1, for example.

Zipding
2012-02-10, 07:18 PM
Arcane spellcasting classes are, by definition, spellcasting classes. They contribute to an ur-priest's caster level.

Note that it's a measure of class level, not caster level. A paladin 6/ur-priest 1 would have the same caster level as a sorcerer 6/ur-priest 1, for example.

In the example you gave, the Ur-Priest would be Sorceror Caster level 6 with Ur-Priest Caster level 4. I'm just trying to understand this class better so I can actually use it.

blazingshadow
2012-02-11, 12:19 AM
you can use warlocks for ur priest as well. it's actually part of one of the optimized builds for warlocks