PDA

View Full Version : Just had a complete computing mindblank

Coidzor
2012-02-10, 07:05 PM
So, I just got a new computer, the first in a few years, actually, and I believe I have a few last steps of assembly to go through.

I remember there's a specific order that you connect a power supply to a computer and to the wall outlet. Unfortunately I have forgotten just what that is.

Is assembling the computer, making sure that the power supply and tower are all hunky dory, then plugging it into the surge protector, then plugging in the surge protector, and then turning on the surge protector so that it passes current through it kosher?

What about just plugging it into the surge protector while the surge protector is plugged in but turned off?

Jimorian
2012-02-10, 09:38 PM
It's not that big a deal anymore unless you have a rare/defective computer where the on switch stays on and it will instantly start drawing power the moment it's plugged in.

Grinner
2012-02-10, 09:50 PM
Off-topic, but whad'ja get, specs-wise?

Coidzor
2012-02-10, 10:05 PM
False alarm, can't plug the damn thing in because I don't have a power cord.

*facepalm*

Silly me for not having 7 spares lying around the place.
It's not that big a deal anymore unless you have a rare/defective computer where the on switch stays on and it will instantly start drawing power the moment it's plugged in.

Well, it's one of those computers that doesn't actually have an external on/off-switch for whether it's capable of drawing power, and I haven't yet taken the case apart because I've been disheartened by the lack of power cord.

That and I haven't examined it long enough to figure out the particular trick of this case.

Off-topic, but whad'ja get, specs-wise?

Good question. All I can tell offhand is that it's in a Dell Inspiron case One of my friends got drunk and bought me it as a birthday present.

My birthday is in November.

I was told it was a dual core processor and had a 1 TB hard-drive and was bog standard for the rest.

Considering I'm currently running off of a mac laptop from before they even had intel processors, even that is a big step up for me.

thubby
2012-02-11, 02:06 AM
you have it right.

when you plug something in, there's sometimes a spike that comes as the connection is being made. in principle, you're trying to put as much wire between that and the sensitive computer bits as possible. the thick collar you sometimes see near plugs is there to help smooth that out.

it's hardly an issue today, though.