PDA

View Full Version : Can I has Celerity?

Snowbluff
2012-02-10, 07:57 PM
So I am working on a Swiftblade (maybe even a handbook for this fantastic PrC!), and I am wondering, is there a domain that gives the Celerity spell, Greater or otherwise. Just not lesser. Lesser I don't care about.

DeAnno
2012-02-10, 08:08 PM
Unfortunately Celerity's home source of PHBII has no domains itself, so Celerity never worked its way into one.

FMArthur
2012-02-10, 08:08 PM
The Spell Domain has Greater Anyspell, giving you the ability to prepare any arcane spell of 5th level or lower in your 6th level domain slot.

Snowbluff
2012-02-10, 08:11 PM
The Spell Domain has Greater Anyspell, giving you the ability to prepare any arcane spell of 5th level or lower in your 6th level domain slot.

Mmm. Good to to know, but how does Anyspell interact with Spontaneous casters with no Domain Slots? Good to know, though.

Hirax
2012-02-10, 08:13 PM
It doesn't help spontaneous casters, but a domain wizard could potentially use anyspell with a permissive DM that's willing to kick RAI in the face. Otherwise a lack of domain slots boots anyspell.

Curmudgeon
2012-02-10, 08:15 PM
If you're trying to enter Swiftblade via Cleric, only the Time and Celerity domains (both in Spell Compendium) have the Haste spell you need to qualify; of those, Time has it at level 3 so that's better than Celerity at level 4. But there's no Clerical domain with has the Celerity spell directly. FMArthur's suggestion of Greater Anypell is the only route I know that will get you there via a Clerical domain. (Anyspell will let you get Lesser Celerity.)

Snowbluff
2012-02-10, 08:19 PM
It doesn't help spontaneous casters, but a domain wizard could potentially use anyspell with a permissive DM that's willing to kick RAI in the face. Otherwise a lack of domain slots boots anyspell.

Which defeats the purpose, since Wizard can know Celerity anyway.

If you're trying to enter Swiftblade via Cleric, only the Time and Celerity domains (both in Spell Compendium) have the Haste spell you need to qualify; of those, Time has it at level 3 so that's better than Celerity at level 4. But there's no Clerical domain with has the Celerity spell directly. FMArthur's suggestion of Greater Anypell is the only route I know that will get you there via a Clerical domain. (Anyspell will let you get Lesser Celerity.)

I'll keep this in mind. I didn't realize cleric could qualify for it until now. Thanks for the heads up, I'll credit you in the handbook if I write one. :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: If you're confused, I was going to use this for the Beguiler/DreadNecro/Warmage entry.

Silva Stormrage
2012-02-10, 08:51 PM
Which defeats the purpose, since Wizard can know Celerity anyway.

I'll keep this in mind. I didn't realize cleric could qualify for it until now. Thanks for the heads up, I'll credit you in the handbook if I write one. :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: If you're confused, I was going to use this for the Beguiler/DreadNecro/Warmage entry.

Well for those you can use the warmage's ACF to his advanced learning. It allows you to learn a spell of any school thats at least 1 level lower than the max you can cast. Most DM's let is apply to other classes's advanced learning as well. It is a bit tricky to work into a build though.

Snowbluff
2012-02-10, 08:59 PM
Well for those you can use the warmage's ACF to his advanced learning. It allows you to learn a spell of any school thats at least 1 level lower than the max you can cast. Most DM's let is apply to other classes's advanced learning as well. It is a bit tricky to work into a build though.

Nice catch, I thought the Warmage spell selection was more limited. If you got WM6/SB9/finish with Warmage you can get it at level 20.

I'm going to put in a "Nice DMs" section for things like this. The other option would you DM letting Advance Learning continue into PrCs.

I am also suggesting Extra Spell, which is almost like Arcane Disciple except for it sucks, but it will get the job done, and Celerity is a good spell.