PDA

View Full Version : [PF] How do preconstructed spellbooks work?

Laniius
2012-02-11, 03:50 AM
Do they function as my own spellbook once I buy one, or do they count as another person's spellbook? Can I add further spells to them? Once I add further spells to them, can I still take advantage of the preparation ritual, even if I don't prepare the spells that were originally in the spellbook?

Drothmal
2012-02-11, 02:34 PM
Though I don't know a lot about the preconstructed spellbooks, I will try to answer the questions (but if someone knows more, please feel free to correct me)

Once you buy one, it counts as your spellbook, so you should be able to add spells to them without any trouble.

As far as I know, as long as you keep the preparation ritual to only 1 spellbook, you can take advantage of it even if you don't prepare any spells from that book. You can keep it at the bottom of your backpack/bag of holding and only take it out at spell-preparing time

shadow_archmagi
2012-02-11, 04:10 PM
Though I don't know a lot about the preconstructed spellbooks, I will try to answer the questions (but if someone knows more, please feel free to correct me)

Once you buy one, it counts as your spellbook, so you should be able to add spells to them without any trouble.

As far as I know, as long as you keep the preparation ritual to only 1 spellbook, you can take advantage of it even if you don't prepare any spells from that book. You can keep it at the bottom of your backpack/bag of holding and only take it out at spell-preparing time

quoth the SRD

"When a spellcaster who prepares spells uses a spellbook or formula book with a preparation ritual, as long as he prepares at least three spells (not including cantrips) or formulae from the spellbooks, he gains a temporary boon granted by the ritual. The boon lasts until its effect is spent (as specified by the boon description) or the spellcaster prepares spells again (at which time it can be reapplied by preparing at least three spells from the book)"

Also, I don't see anything that says once you buy it is your spellbook. I mean, in a legal sense it becomes yours, but since part of the fluff is that every wizard has their own weird stupid way of writing down spells, anything you didn't make yourself is hard to decipher.

Coidzor
2012-02-12, 03:38 PM
See if you can just get the DM to let you make a higher spellcraft check to master the book as in 3.5 or pay some minor ritual cost if he's going to be a stickler about that.