PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Is it right what I did with the scores?

Dracule Mihawk
2012-02-11, 07:59 AM
It's the first time I play D&D (well, Pathfinder, which is almost the same) and the master made us roll in order the stats. I ended up with the following:

STR: 16
DEX: 10
CON: 14
INT: 17
WIS: 10
CHA: 14

After some advice from friends who have already played and trying to make use of both the STR and the INT I decided to create Half Elf (+2 to CON) Warrior that will multiclass to wizard so I can create a 5 Warrior/ 5 Wizard-> Eldritch Knight prestige class (if we ever get that high, that is).

I want to know if you think it's a good idea, and some tips about how I should be leveling. We haven't written the feats yet, so I wouldn't mind some help with them too (the master said that I can change the feat I was given for being Half Elf for any other I want).

Eldan
2012-02-11, 08:13 AM
It's not a bad basic idea. Just a few things first:

Level 10 is quite high, few games get that far. Additionally, you have the problem that a Fighter 5/Wizard 5, unless very optimized, can neither really fight nor really cast good enough for what he is facing.

Look at the requirements for the Eldritch Knight (I don't know what they are in Pathfinder). Generally, I'd say: focus on one of the two base classes, take the minimum amount of levels in the other. Wizard if you want to cast, fighter if you want to fight. Then get into Eldritch knight as early as possible, which is usually around level 6.

mcv
2012-02-11, 08:29 AM
Or you could just go for a fighter with lots of social skills.

Dracule Mihawk
2012-02-11, 08:51 AM
Look at the requirements for the Eldritch Knight (I don't know what they are in Pathfinder). Generally, I'd say: focus on one of the two base classes, take the minimum amount of levels in the other.

The requirements are proficiency in martial weapons and the ability to cast level 3 spells (so I need level 5 wizard). Should I level up in Wizard from now on then?

I should have mentioned the other members in my party too: 18 Int Elf Wizard, 18 Cha Gnome Sorcerer, 18 Wis 12 Str Dwarf Cleric and 18 STR Half Orc Barbarian.

More ideas about my character, please?

Eldan
2012-02-11, 09:16 AM
You have three casters already, that will probably get a bit crowded.

If you need level 3 spells, I'd recommend Fighter 1/Wizard 5, as that's the minimum.

Mastikator
2012-02-11, 09:21 AM
I've noticed a distinct lack of skill/sneak type character. I'd go with rogue.

Dracule Mihawk
2012-02-11, 09:33 AM
I've noticed a distinct lack of skill/sneak type character. I'd go with rogue.

Yeah, except my dexterity is not nearly enough to pull that. That would be better for the barbarian to do, he has 15 Dex to do it.

If I don't go for Eldritch Knight what should I do with that Int score? Also, what feats should I take if I stay a Fighter? (I wrote Warrior previously, sorry for that, it's the literal translation from "guerrero" in spanish)

The Glyphstone
2012-02-11, 10:01 AM
Wait, you're playing PF? Just play a Magus, it's basically perfect for you. It's like the Eldritch Knight but better as a base class from level 1, a Melee warrior-caster who needs Int and Str (unless you build a Dervish Dance DEX-based, but you're not).

Great Modthulhu: Also, moved to the 3.X subforum. Burble.

W3bDragon
2012-02-11, 10:02 AM
I think your high roll on intelligence is causing you more headache than benefit. You're trying to fit in some kind of wizard just because you have it. Yet, your party really is missing a strong melee character, and dipping wizard will make you weaker in the long run, especially with so many other casters in the party.

Any buffs that are key to your build, you can probably get from your party mates. What they really need is a melee controller. Perhaps a fighter focused on tripping with a reach weapon, who can position near the casters and keep them safe. Feats like Step up, Combat Reflexes and Improved Trip would go very well here. Throw in a reach weapon, and an Enlarge Person spell from one of your casters, and you'll be very useful in this party.

As for your high intelligence, this allows you to take a few more skills you normally wouldn't take. I'd say maxing climb, craft, intimidate, knowledge engineering, and survival would give a nice selection of skills for your party.

Belril Duskwalk
2012-02-11, 10:04 AM
Wait, you're playing PF? Just play a Magus, it's basically perfect for you. It's like the Eldritch Knight but better as a base class from level 1, a Melee warrior-caster who needs Int and Str (unless you build a Dervish Dance DEX-based, but you're not).

This. I've never actually played an Eldritch Knight, but from my understanding Magus is basically the same thing without all the multi-class chicanery needed to get there.

Beowulf DW
2012-02-11, 10:05 AM

Great Modthulhu: Also, moved to the 3.X subforum. Burble.

Playing a bladebound kensai using the Dervish Dance, and it's kicking some serious butt so far.

But vanilla magus sounds perfect for you.

Dracule Mihawk
2012-02-11, 10:15 AM
Magus, where is that? I was only shown the Core Rulebook and it's not there. I'll ask my DM if I can do it.

About being an Eldritch Knight it was not really what I wanted, it's just what I thought it was best from the options my friends told me. As I said in the first post it's the first time I really play a game like D&D, I know the basics about the game and I can get most things if I'm explained (I had not real problems with OOTS so far, for example), but then there are many things I haven't heard about that I can't take into account when making decisions.

Belril Duskwalk
2012-02-11, 10:20 AM
Magus, where is that? I was only shown the Core Rulebook and it's not there. I'll ask my DM if I can do it.

About being an Eldritch Knight it was not really what I wanted, it's just what I thought it was best from the options my friends told me. As I said in the first post it's the first time I really play a game like D&D, I know the basics about the game and I can get most things if I'm explained (I had not real problems with OOTS so far, for example), but then there are many things I haven't heard about that I can't take into account when making decisions.

I believe it is in the Advanced Player's Guide. I think that's where all the other Base Classes got added in. Anyway: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/magus
There's a link to the Pathfinder SRD, in particular the page explaining Magus. Short version: two-thirds spell progression, moderate Base Attack progression, allowed to wear light armor without spell-failure and a couple special skills revolving around using spells and weapons in combat at the same time.

NinjaStylerobot
2012-02-11, 10:22 AM
Its also generally better suited at its task then the Eldrich night.

Dracule Mihawk
2012-02-11, 10:44 AM
Thanks for the links and the suggestion. The Magus indeed sounds good for me. I'll try to convince my DM to let me play it. Just in case he doesn't, should I stay as a Fighter instead?

The Glyphstone
2012-02-11, 11:06 AM
Yeah, just stick with Fighter and use the Int for skills that seem good. PF makes non-cross-class skills more than viable.

Belril Duskwalk
2012-02-11, 11:07 AM
Given the rest of your party, if you can't do Magus I'd say build a Fighter and enjoy that stack of bonus skill points you'll be able to play with. Maybe build some of the trip feats in, several of those need a decent Intelligence score and can be fun.

jmelesky
2012-02-11, 11:30 PM
I believe it is in the Advanced Player's Guide.

Ultimate Magic, actually. That's the only base class there.

Ultimate Combat added the Ninja and Samurai (though, technically, they're "alternate" classes, instead of base classes).

kme
2012-02-11, 11:54 PM
You can also be a fighter rogue multiclass and play like a fighter with more skills and sneak attack. You don't have to take dex based skills and even if you do, you can offset your low dex with items.

Chained Birds
2012-02-12, 01:24 PM
Rogue 3/ Fighter 2/ Assassin X

Correction: Rogue (Scout Archetype) 4/ Fighter 1/ Assassin X

Now you're really using your high Int. :smallamused:

Smiling-Jack
2012-02-12, 01:30 PM
May I suggest the alchemist?

Strength mutagen, Natural attacks, buffs, he can really push the melee quite freaking hard, and your party'll like you since you'll be handing out potions. There's also vivisectionist which replaces your Dex based bombs (though it's touch attack so it's not exactly necessary) with sneak attack damage.

mcv
2012-02-12, 05:12 PM
From a more conceptual and less gamist view point, a fighter with high Int and Cha also enables a lot of warrior types that are generally ignored in D&D. You could be a courtly knight or noble. Take Leadership and become a great leader. Become Roy Greenhilt.

There's great fun to be had with a skilled fighter. It may not be very optimized for combat, but it can be very optimized for story.

Curious
2012-02-12, 05:15 PM
From a more conceptual and less gamist view point, a fighter with high Int and Cha also enables a lot of warrior types that are generally ignored in D&D. You could be a courtly knight or noble. Take Leadership and become a great leader. Become Roy Greenhilt.

There's great fun to be had with a skilled fighter. It may not be very optimized for combat, but it can be very optimized for story.

. . . Are you implying that choosing to play a competent class means you cannot optimize for character? Your Stormwind is showing.

Coidzor
2012-02-12, 05:46 PM
After some advice from friends who have already played and trying to make use of both the STR and the INT I decided to create Half Elf (+2 to CON) Warrior that will multiclass to wizard so I can create a 5 Warrior/ 5 Wizard-> Eldritch Knight prestige class (if we ever get that high, that is).

I want to know if you think it's a good idea, and some tips about how I should be leveling. We haven't written the feats yet, so I wouldn't mind some help with them too (the master said that I can change the feat I was given for being Half Elf for any other I want).

No. I think you should have as little warrior as you can before going into Eldritch Knight. 1 or 2 levels of a warrior class with martial weapon proficiencies and then 5 levels of wizard gets you access to Eldritch Knight. Then 10 levels of that gets you to 16-17th level, and after that point, there's no real point in continuing to rely on a fighting chassis, so you'd just finish up with more wizard or a full-casting PrC.

Either that or just use the Magus class (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/magus) so that you can be a gish from level 1.

You don't have a half-bad Charisma, either, so you could technically be a rather nifty bard as well, though your dexterity is a bit lacking.

This is part of why rolling the stats in order is considered to be a bad idea from the bad old days. As a fighter-type or a wizard, your charisma is going to be of only marginal importance if that. Whereas as someone who expects to be up close and personal in combat, you want a good dexterity so that you can keep your AC up and have a good initiative count. Especially if you want to multiclass between warrior-type and wizard, as ASF restricts you from being able to use heavy enough armor to not care so much about your lackluster dexterity.

Sure, you can use spells to shore up your AC and to give yourself a miss-chance, but it's less desirable to have a low dexterity for your build idea than a low charisma.

With regards to mcv's quip, don't play a Fighter unless you're playing a Fighter archetype that gives it actual class features. You'd be better off as almost anything else, like, say, a Paladin. This of course, is excepting the traditional 1-2 level dips in Fighter.

This. I've never actually played an Eldritch Knight, but from my understanding Magus is basically the same thing without all the multi-class chicanery needed to get there.

Definition of CHICANERY
: deception by artful subterfuge or sophistry : trickery
: a piece of sharp practice (as at law) : trick (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/chicanery)

I would say that the only chicanery is on the part of the designers who are anti-multiclassing. :smallannoyed:

Beowulf DW
2012-02-13, 10:01 AM
You could also use the Tactician Fighter Archetype. It's basically a support fighter that sacrifices the 1st level bonus feat for an expanded skill set. You can still be a tripping fighter, but you also get a few abilities that make good use of your Int and Cha bonuses.

mcv
2012-02-14, 10:46 AM
. . . Are you implying that choosing to play a competent class means you cannot optimize for character? Your Stormwind is showing.

Of course that's not what I mean. A character optimized for story can still be competent, and a character optimized for power can still have character. I'm just pointing out that there's more than just power. Play what you want, instead of what people claim is more powerful.

And if you look at knights and noble courts, there's a lot of room for warriors with social skills. Depending on the campaign and the setting, you might end up with a character that's more grounded in, and connected with the game world, and that's worth something too.

Tyndmyr
2012-02-14, 10:55 AM
The requirements are proficiency in martial weapons and the ability to cast level 3 spells (so I need level 5 wizard). Should I level up in Wizard from now on then?

Yes. You want to get into EK as soon as possible, so you want to minimize fighter levels.

Dracule Mihawk
2012-02-14, 04:48 PM

It's funny, because Roy was the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the results of my rolls.

Anyway, my DM said that there's no problem in me playing a Magus, so Magus it is. I would have stayed a Fighter all the way otherwise, I think that multiclassing to become Eldritch wasn't really worth it if well thought. I would have ended worrying too much about optimizing the character.

I thank you all who posted trying to help me about how I should build my character. Now what I have to do is deciding which feats I'm going to pick, I'll check the Trip feats mentioned but I'm open to suggestions (about Magus Arcana too).

What I really wanted to have was a Mystic Theurge or an Assassin (I like Artemis Entreri a lot), but Magus sounds interesting enough to be one and I think it adapts better to my stats. I'm sure I'll have lots of fun with it.

Coidzor
2012-02-14, 05:15 PM
Of course that's not what I mean. A character optimized for story

Your word choice is very poor if you're not buying into it then.

mcv
2012-02-15, 04:40 AM
Your word choice is very poor if you're not buying into it then.
I don't see what the problem is.