PDA

View Full Version : First-time player -- help with my duskblade!

Phenotype
2012-02-11, 11:57 AM
Hey! First-time poster, long-time reader here, gearing up for his fourth ever session playing 3.5 (or any tabletop RPG, really).

I've pretty much gotten to terms with how the d20 system works, but I have a hard time figuring out how everything's gonna work in the actual game. My party consists of my Duskblade, a Rogue, a bow-wielding Ranger, and a Druid, so I imagine I'm going to have to be the primary tank. I just got to 4th level and upgraded to a breastplate, and I'd like to get a greatsword to go with Power Attack, but if I give up my buckler, I still only have 17 AC, which seems low. Is it reasonable to get Improved Buckler Defense so I keep AC at 18+, get the greatsword, and just live with a -1 to hit? (I still haven't spent my 3rd level feat.) It's hard to tell what's a "good" AC or a "good" to-hit.

I've seen the Duskblade Handbook, by the way, but a lot of it doesn't seem to apply to my situation. This is a first-timer group, so I imagine a lot of the weirder prerequisites and prestige classes (Planar touchstone to become a Sand Shaper?) won't be available for us, and so far the shops haven't even had exotic weapons or full plate, let alone the custom magical items they recommend. It doesn't seem practical to get a reach weapon either, as the only melee build. I've already been given the go-ahead to get Arcane Disciple at 6th level, but I'm having a hard time settling on a useful domain.

Thanks for any help!

Greenish
2012-02-11, 12:08 PM
Tank what what? You've no better HD than most of the others in your group, and only a tad better armour proficiency (compensated by higher dex for rogue and ranger). Just focus on smashing face.

Only melee guy? What about rogue and the animal companions? And what does that have to do with using a reach weapon?

Phenotype
2012-02-11, 12:22 PM
Well, there's no one else in the party that uses a melee weapon--the rogue is using a bow, too, and the druid's owl isn't much good. (e: the ranger just got a wolf, though, and I don't think the druid knows he can trade up to a bear at 4th level) I figured I should concentrate more on AC and survivability than raw damage. I'm certainly willing to accept being wrong, though!

As for reach weapons, maybe I'm not understanding them right. Aren't I going to have to constantly take 5-foot steps backwards to keep enemies from being too close? I didn't think that would be a good idea if I'm the front-liner.

Greenish
2012-02-11, 12:28 PM
Well, usually the best way to survive is to kill the other guy before he kills you. Which does seem to be something your group needs help in. Anyhow, the ranger should have an animal companion by now, too.

You got reach weapons right, but getting more reach (and more AoO) is worth 5' stepping (or just moving, since it's not like you have iteratives to waste).

Snowbluff
2012-02-11, 01:40 PM
If you want to tank, go into Abjurant Champion (Complete Arcane) for better AC from Abjurations like the Shield Spell, or Swift Blade http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070327 for Miss Chances and some better action economy.

I should point out the Druid is the best option for tank, though. They get Luminous Armor, Barkskin, Stone Skin, and wildshapes with good armor... Actually, ask the Druid to give you a few buffs if you are going to meatshield.

Manateee
2012-02-11, 02:11 PM
It doesn't seem practical to get a reach weapon either, as the only melee build.
That's a good reason to get as much reach as possible.

A reach weapon means threatening twice as much area as a non-reach weapon. It can easily be the difference between a monster running through your threatened zone and that monster just walking around you.

It can also mean not eating an attack of opportunity every time you approach a Large or larger monster (over half the monsters in the SRD), and getting an extra hit on anyone who tries to approach you with a non-reach weapon.

You could get Improved Buckler Defense, but Duskblades are usually starving for feats and the bonus is pretty tiny. I'd go for Combat Expertise instead, as it opens Improved Trip, stacks with an animated shield and is more flexible overall.

Edit:
And if 5ft steps are problematic, you can always just let go of your reach weapon with one hand and punch a monster with a spiked gauntlet, and two-hand the weapon again as another free action. You'd get a bit less damage from power attack, but Arcane Channeling, Arcane Strike and Knowledge devotion still work just fine.

hex0
2012-02-11, 02:37 PM
You probably have a high INT, so you can just make your own Spiked Chain if you want. Also, why not use a Glaive?

Roaan
2012-02-11, 07:39 PM
Prestiege classes are great, but duskblade really starts to shine at level 13. At 3rd level you got your Arcane Channeling (which is AMAZING) and at lvevl 13 you will be able to channel beyond one attack and into a FULL attack. Level 13 is a great break-point because you also gain access to 4th level spells as well as your full-channel. Imagine hitting an enemy 3-4 times in a row with an Enervation (http://www.imarvintpa.com/dndlive/spells.php?ID=3171). Thats a average of 6-9 negative levels, no save.

Edit: Clarity

If you level outside of duskblade it will take that much longer to be able to do amazing and crazy things with full-attack channeling

Tvtyrant
2012-02-11, 07:52 PM
One thing about Duskblade is that it has almost no use for TWF until level 13, when it suddenly skyrockets above THF due to every attack applying the spells damage.

Greenish
2012-02-11, 07:56 PM
One thing about Duskblade is that it has almost no use for TWF until level 13, when it suddenly skyrockets above THF due to every attack applying the spells damage.Before level 13, you could rely on Arcane Strike.

Or get a double weapon, and mix TWF full attacks with arcane strike and THW standard attacks with channeling.

Tvtyrant
2012-02-11, 08:05 PM
That's true! It would be kinda fun to play that character too.

Greenish
2012-02-11, 08:24 PM
That's true! It would be kinda fun to play that character too.Well, it'd be MAD and feat hungry as anything. I just have this irrational love for double weapons.

Phenotype
2012-02-11, 10:38 PM
Thanks for all the advice, guys!

The feat-hungriness seems to be the problem I keep butting into. I'd love to use a Spiked Chain, but that means Exotic Weapon Proficiency, Combat Expertise, and Improved Trip, and with Arcane Disciple that means I don't get Improved Trip until 12th level. I think I'm just going to get Arcane Disciple: Slime at 3rd level, because I can grab Grease immediately and try out a guisarme at our next session. Should I look at getting Combat Reflexes at 6th? It seems like it'd be good with the reach weapon, but again, that means not getting Improved Trip until 12th.

e: I wonder if I should mention I took Cleave as my extra human feat at 1st level. It seems like it's gonna be harder to line up Cleaves with a reach weapon, won't it?

NikitaDarkstar
2012-02-11, 10:51 PM
It doesn't have much to do with your build, but really do remind your druid that wildshaping into a bear and using wilding clasps or natural armor (I think the feat is called?) lets him keep his gear while being wildshaped, add natural spell and he can cast spells like that. He should be the tank, you should be a damage dealer. And do point out that he can upgrade his animal companion. (By the way why did he even get an owl, that's a sorc/wiz familiar normally.) And actually it'd be recommended that he'd get something that can be a little bit more helpful, especially when buffed.

Gavinfoxx
2012-02-12, 12:46 AM
Encourage the Druid to tank. You are what, level 4? Have him swap out his animal companion to a Fleshraker, Crocodile, or Dire Bat. Buy a Mule or some riding dogs or stuff like that, train the non-already-combat-capable ones (like mules) to be combat capable, with the appropriate attack and attack any and guard tricks and such. Get all the animals some barding. No they don't have to be proficient in armor to benefit from barding that has 0 penalty, like leather or masterwork studded leather. Show the Druid's character the joys of using synnibed Hippogriffs and Crocodiles to tank, and Entangles and Briar Webs and Kelpstrands for battlefield control. Your job isn't to be the tank. It's the DRUID'S job to be the tank and tie up 90% of the enemies; he has all the class features for it (bfc spells, animal companions, handle animal, etc.)! It is your job to be DPR.

JohnDaBarr
2012-02-12, 07:12 PM
Do yourself a favor and before you get to lvl 13 get a Whirlwind Attack entchatment on your weapon, then hit everyone around you with Vampire touch, now you have duble (or triple) HP.

Snowbluff
2012-02-13, 12:44 AM
If you haven't yet, get a Familiar. You have full bab and good health, so you could have a nice little fighter.

NeoSeraphi
2012-02-13, 09:43 AM
You took Arcane Disciple?...So, you have a decent Wisdom score, a decent Strength score, and a decent Intelligence score? :smallconfused: That leaves your Constitution, where exactly? Even weirder, you say you're a human, so you have no racial bonuses to any of your ability scores...

What kind of stat array are you playing with anyway?

Phenotype
2012-02-13, 10:40 AM
I got pretty lucky with my stats: 16/14/14/14/13/12, after I put my 4th level increase into Con. By the time I can cast 5th level spells, I should have the Int score for it.

As for the familiar, I wish! If I only had another half-dozen feats, sure, but we've already got two animal companions to keep track of, and no one with any decent melee feats.

We didn't get to play last night because of a no-show, but I've tentatively gone ahead and given myself EWP: Spiked Chain at 3rd, which seems like it'd go well with my Cleave. Our DM suggested Combat Reflexes too, which seems like it'd be really useful now that I threaten so much area. The plan atm is to get Arcane Disciple (Slime or Darkness) at 6th, and then Reflexes at 9th if it seems useful...if not, Combat Expertise and Improved Trip at 12th.

Sound good?

Thanks guys! This is a really great forum!

Grim Reader
2012-02-14, 10:55 AM
Consider the Bloodline feats from Dragon Compendium as possible alternatives or supplements to Arcane Disciple. Also: Knowledge Devotion!

A good dip for a Duskblade is Mage of the Arcane Order. But that takes a lot of feats to set up for you, so its not something I'd recommend.

Phenotype
2012-02-14, 05:52 PM
Like I said, a lot of the weirder stuff is unavailable. Bloodline feats sound like something my DM would certainly veto. Honestly, he wanted us all to pick races and classes from the PHBI -- he only let me play a Duskblade because we needed a fighter and he knew I wanted to play a caster class. And it looks like I'd be best served staying in Duskblade until at least level 13, if not more.

Anyway, this is my tentative plan for feat progression:

Feats:
1st: Power Attack, Cleave
3rd: EWP: Spiked Chain
6th: either Combat Reflexes or Arcane Disciple
9th: Combat Reflexes/Arcane Disciple
12th: Combat Expertise
15th: Improved Trip
18th: Arcane Strike

Could someone please post and tell me if I'm making a decent character? It seems like Cleave/Reflexes/Spiked Chain is going to get me a ton of extra attacks, but since I've only played a few sessions so far, I have no frame of reference for how effective it is compared to, say, getting Improved Trip right away.